Jan 02, 2020, 03:59 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Thread OP
Discussion

Sudden rash of Drone coverage...what a coincidence.

FAA drone proposal comes out and just like clockwork so does a swarm of anti-drone media...what are the odds. Nice move Commercial Drone lobby. More laws and more government bureaucracy are obviously needed.

It’s Creepy’: Unexplained Drones Are Swarming by Night Over Colorado
Sheriffs in western Nebraska and eastern Colorado say they don’t know who’s flying the drones — or why. The F.A.A. is investigating. - New York Times Date: Jan 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/01/u...-nebraska.html

Drones flying in rural Colorado and Nebraska have residents freaking out. No one knows who's behind them - CNN - Jan 2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/us/co...rnd/index.html

Mysterious drones are flying around the Midwest, Great Plains, and no one has answers - USA Today Jan 2020
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2793815001/

People Do Not Like the Unknown.' Here's What To Know About The Mystery Drones Hovering Over Rural Colorado and Nebraska - Time Jan 2020 https://time.com/5757819/drones-colorado-nebraska/
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 04:54 PM
And of course commercial drones are all over the news for Delivery and Lightshows replacing fireworks... Randoms drones get bad coverage, Commercial drones get good coverage.
Jan 04, 2020, 02:30 PM
I've been following this at other websites ie: Rense, Zero Hedge and there is some talk of a MISSING NUKE that was accidentally dropped somewhere in the area. Which according to statements of some may be the case.
1) Why doesn't the FAA investigate this?
2) Why are government agenecies silent?
3) Why is there no forthcoming information concerning these flights?
Even local sheriffs have no idea.
This would not be the first time a nuclear weapon was accidentally dropped onto American soil.
One such incident occurred back in the 1050s when a B-36 carrying a hydrogen bomb to Albuquerque, N.M. for refurbishment accidentally fell from the sling carrying it, crashed through the bombay doors and landed in a filed outside of the city and killing a farmer's cow(later reimbursed by the Air Force). The bomb did not detonate as you would have known about it if it did. Only a minor explosion occurred which killed the cow.
Jan 04, 2020, 06:38 PM
My money would be on the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Sure, they've denied it... the DEA has been known to lie.
Jan 04, 2020, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
My money would be on the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Sure, they've denied it... the DEA has been known to lie.
And so has everybody else in Washington. In fact I take everything anybody in Washington says as a lie.
Another possible reason for these sightings is surveying for particular mineral deposits.
If these drones are at any altitude they should be able to be easily tracked by radar or satellite .
Somebody knows............
Jan 05, 2020, 07:02 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
My bet is that they are those lanterns that we used to be able to launch during July 4th and the New Year Holiday. They aren't legal here in the eastern side of Nevraska anymore but they might still be legal out there in western Nebraska and NE Colorado. Understand that it is sparsly populated in that area so, it is easy to launch those things and nobody would know who did it. They can also be purchased online easily.

Kman
Jan 06, 2020, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
My bet is that they are those lanterns that we used to be able to launch during July 4th and the New Year Holiday. They aren't legal here in the eastern side of Nevraska anymore but they might still be legal out there in western Nebraska and NE Colorado. Understand that it is sparsly populated in that area so, it is easy to launch those things and nobody would know who did it. They can also be purchased online easily.

Kman
That would be asking for disaster, in this dry time of the year. Plus lanterns don't maneuver along grid patterns.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:42 PM
I think it's a bit ridiculous to use these "mystery" sightings as justification for further limitations on hobbyists. These are quite obviously not the work of any hobbyist. I would wager that these drones are being operated by a commercial or government entity, and I'm quite certain that some level of government knows exactly what is going on, even if local law enforcement does not.

Almost certainly not the work of your average hobbyist, but the media is of course totally unwilling to make the distinction anyways.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcleod
I think it's a bit ridiculous to use these "mystery" sightings as justification for further limitations on hobbyists. These are quite obviously not the work of any hobbyist. I would wager that these drones are being operated by a commercial or government entity, and I'm quite certain that some level of government knows exactly what is going on, even if local law enforcement does not.

Almost certainly not the work of your average hobbyist, but the media is of course totally unwilling to make the distinction anyways.
I have read one article where these are Air Force drones, and that they are investigating trespassers on some of their nuclear missile sites. If some idiot actually does shoot one of those down, they will get caught, and will go to federal prison. The justice system will not bend for such behavior.
Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; Jan 06, 2020 at 02:21 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:24 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcleod

I agree...

The FAA is loving this. The longer it goes on...the longer the public will buy into the new just released FAA proposal. Effectively destroying the RC Flying Hobby in the US.

Now for almost a MONTH, "mysteriously" the FAA, Military, Law Enforcement, Homeland Security, FBI, etc..is powerless against these drones. Someone steals a car in LA and there are 2 to 3 News/Police choppers chasing a Honda..Live..on TV..at Night.

I used to live in Colorado there are plenty of Police and News choppers that could fly out at night with IR cameras and track these drones and 9 times out of 10 that's exactly what they would do. Someone told them to stay away...otherwise they would know who's behind this in just a few days. So in many ways, this is an artificial "mystery" the real question is why.

As the old saying goes..."I was born at night...but not last night".
Last edited by boiko; Jan 06, 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 03:26 PM
Something smells here and it ain't just fish rotting in Denmark.
1) why so many and why at night?
2) Still no answers from the FAA or local law enforcement.
3) Who stands to gain?
4) What do they gain?
5) Just what are they really searching for? O r the real purpose.
6) Is this all just a show?
7) Why this particular location?
8) It appears that even local police have spent little if any time or effort to find out.
At this point in time all we have is speculation and no facts. Does it seem that someone wants to keep it that way?
Jan 06, 2020, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
2) Still no answers from the FAA or local law enforcement.
3) Who stands to gain?
4) What do they gain?
5) Just what are they really searching for? O r the real purpose.
6) Is this all just a show?
7) Why this particular location?
8) It appears that even local police have spent little if any time or effort to find out.
At this point in time all we have is speculation and no facts. Does it seem that someone wants to keep it that way?
I agree with the points made.
Jan 06, 2020, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Night probably means infrared imaging. The number of drones may be to search a wider area, to do stereoscopic imaging, or they may have different sensors on different drones.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:42 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
all of which reeks of a classified op.
Jan 07, 2020, 07:08 PM
Been away a long time
Everybody loves a mystery, don't they. LOL Some thoughts from southern Nebraska.
We've been having lots of reports of drones around NE as well, most are small numbers except some in southwest NE next to CO where the large groups have been sighted. My guess would be that the scattered sightings are "copycats" that are getting in on the action for the kicks of getting in the news. The others seem to be the real deal. There have been several reports that I have seen of fixed wing drones of 6 ft. and larger. Some are tending to think military and as mentioned, tied to Warren AFB in Cheyenne WY, which controls the Minutemen missles around SW NE, E WY and N CO. As far as I'm aware there are no misssle sites in eastern CO. Some commercial compaies have been taking flak for it as well.
I ran across this article on the fasebook site of one who had numerous questions about whether it was them. They do a lot of powerline and substation inspections for power companies.

https://www.thefencepost.com/news/my...fication-rule/

Quick Reply