Jan 02, 2020, 02:01 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Discussion

Gil's Nurfluegel

My friend and neighbor Gil Morris has been building free flights since the 30s. His most famous design the Kerswap! (an onomatopoeia for the sound it made crashing) was published in 1942.

He's been on the US team many times for F1C and F1J; even recently. Now, this nonagenarian is taking a stab at R/C and he showed up at our New Years' gathering with a tailless design. The wing comes from an old F1C Flapper core which he designed. Viewed head on, the dihedral looks like a shallow M. The center section is under cambered and there's reflex at the tips.

He quickly realized that he needed some sort of gyro stabilizer. So he installed a Hobby King special and noted some improvement. It's not quite ready for the hi-start so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I haven't yet built a tailless and I doubt my first will be my own design.

Tom
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 02:25 PM
Is that a Flinger on the table???
I would be interested in that story.
Thanks
Larry
Jan 04, 2020, 05:16 PM
You know nothing....
I’m no expert,but I don’t recall a wing of that planform flying without vertical fins on the wing tips.Have a look at res-dart on this forum.
Last edited by Stuart A; Jan 04, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
Jan 04, 2020, 05:46 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Is that a Flinger on the table???
I would be interested in that story.
Thanks
Larry
I think Norm Poti brought it and he made it to break down and fit in that box
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers

Quick Reply