Jan 02, 2020, 08:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scale Blade 330s

Here is one of my projects I'm working on. It's a Bell Jet Ranger with a 3D printed fuselage.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 09:22 AM
Looking good. The fuselage is the one your friend 3d printed for you? Please keep posting pictures as you progress.
Jan 02, 2020, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR
Looking good. The fuselage is the one your friend 3d printed for you? Please keep posting pictures as you progress.
Yes that is one of them. I'll start on the airworf next that he 3D printed. I got the base white color done I'll probably start on the stripes tomorrow then it will be ready for clear coat.
Jan 02, 2020, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Getting ready for the blue spikes. That a lot of masking off for the blue tape!
Jan 04, 2020, 06:21 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
How heavy is the shell ? And what did you print it with -ABS ? PLA ? Or ???

The finish sure looks good, did you use a hi fill primer and the sand it before top coat ?
Jan 05, 2020, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig
How heavy is the shell ? And what did you print it with -ABS ? PLA ? Or ???

The finish sure looks good, did you use a hi fill primer and the sand it before top coat ?
PLA. It's really close to another scale 450 fuselage that a have (AS350). Several coats of hi fill primer primer and painting to smooth it out and a little bit of spot putty in a few spots. Once I get the windows figure it out I'm going to clear it all.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:22 AM
VE7FM
Looks amazing, being it is PLA though don't leave it in a hot car or out in the sun.
Jan 06, 2020, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
Looks amazing, being it is PLA though don't leave it in a hot car or out in the sun.
For sure. I'm going to test hover the heli tonight and make sure everything works like it should after having it taken all apart before I put it in the fuselage. It's way easier to adjust any before it's in there lol
Jan 08, 2020, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Bare-metal windows.
Jan 16, 2020, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
Clear coat finish and just about everything put together. Just for a test fit then I have to pull the blades back off so I can balance them. And I still have to glue the navigation light wires on the inside.
Jan 21, 2020, 11:43 PM
I’ll subscribe to this! If you do an air wolf I might just need to place an order!
Jan 22, 2020, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Update. The 330s didn't have enough power to lift because the fuselage is too heavy so I'm going to build a Trex 450 with a bigger motor and 4 blade head to put in it to see if that will work.
Jan 22, 2020, 10:26 AM
What was the all-up weight (with battery)?
Jan 22, 2020, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR
What was the all-up weight (with battery)?
I'm not sure but it look like the fuselage was about a pound heavier then the fiberglass one but that was using a cheap food scale
Jan 23, 2020, 09:41 PM
I think its hilarious that the 330s wouldn't lift. Thats a bit extreme. Too bad, it looks nice and you worked so hard on it. Maybe try to keep it within 5 times the weight of a stock canopy, just a suggestion. Can you adjust the thickness the canopy is "printed" at much? The minimum thickness may still be too heavy. The smaller helis you can use cheap small digital scales to weigh things, I guess thats more of a problem with bigger helis.

On another note. Is there a way with the 330s to tell if flight mode is set up correctly? The manual says the FC led has a slow green flash when ready to fly but that doesn't tell me what flight mode it is in. I want to be sure my first flight is with self leveling flight mode. Some small helis the led changes color from green to blue to red when you change flight modes from normal to stunt1 to stunt2. I'm worried because initially I set it up based on the spektrum dx7,8 with gear 50/50 and reversed. Before flying it I changed it to the dx6g2 settings of gear 100/100 and normal-and changed channel input config to 5gear-fmode. And rebound it. So I think its good now but am not sure. I have a spektrum dx6 g3.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Jan 23, 2020 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply