Jan 02, 2020, 02:27 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP
Build Log

MinimumRC B-25 Mitchell

I've just taken delivery of MinimumRC's latest kit, the twin-motor B-25 Mitchell, and this is my build (and hopefully, fly) log.

(Please don't expect a regular stream of posts - I have a number of other projects on hand and some, regrettably, have higher priority. But I have at least opened the pack, as you see.)

Last edited by velojet; Jan 03, 2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added MinimumRC website
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 10:30 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

Why this model?

Why did I buy the B-25? Why am I going to build it? Three reasons:

1) I bought and built (but haven't yet flown) a MinimumRC Sopwith Camel 2nd Generation (which means that, like the B-25, it's constructed from foamboard rather than balsa), and despite one or two minor flaws, is well thought-out and produced (see illustration).

2) I like the idea of a twin-motor micro-model (let's hope the motors have equal power).

3) I'm attracted to the B-25 by its role in Catch-22.
Last edited by velojet; Jan 03, 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Jan 03, 2020, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velojet
Why did I buy the B-25? Why am I going to build it? Three reasons:
1) I bought and built (but haven't yet flown) a MinimumRC Sopwith Camel 2nd Generation (which means that, like the B-25, it's constructed from foamboard rather than balsa), and despite one or two minor flaws, is well thought-out and produced (see illustration).
2) I like the idea of a twin-motor micro-model (let's hope the motors have equal power).
3) I'm attracted to the B-25 by its role in Catch-22.
I'll be very interested to see how this one flies. At 39g, and 360mm span, it might be a little bit on the heavy side. Admittedly, some of the MinimumRC balsa planes are no bigger in wingspan, and quite a bit heavier, but the ones I am thinking of are biplanes. My balsa Sopwith Pup weighs about 60g, and yet I can fly it with no problems indoors. It would be great if this one is also nice and tame indoors.

I note that MinimumRC have also come up with a Spitfire.
Jan 03, 2020, 04:20 AM
Balsa, depron addict.
Hi,

I have built the MinimumRC Tiger Moth's , Cessna Buldog, and they fly well.
I am agree this planes are a little bit heavies.

I am building the SE5A in foam, and the maiden will tell us if it is a good flyer.

Hope to read your build log about this beautiful small Mitchell.

Stef
Jan 03, 2020, 07:10 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

A glitch in the electronics

I always start a build with checking out the electronics - if there's something non-functional there, I'll need to set about obtaining a replacement while I get on with the build itself. And that seemed to be the case when I did my check with the supplied receiver. Plugged in the battery. Nothing. Absolutely no glimmer from the LED.

I looked up the returns procedure on the MinimumRC site, for DOA components and resigned myself to working through the necessary toing and froing.

Then I took a closer look at the battery connector and found that one of the battery pins was pushing out the corresponding socket (see first photo). So after a lot of fiddling to get the socket to stay in the connector and adding epoxy to be doubly certain, I got the LED to flash.

Next to get the rx to bind to the tx - always a bit tricky with these micro rxs without a bind plug or jumpers. But I finally got a bind and both motors spun and all three servos deflected (see second photo).

@1auriec and @Stefh : thanks for your posts - always nice to know that someone out there is taking an interest.
Last edited by velojet; Jan 03, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Jan 03, 2020, 09:37 PM
It wouldn't be the first time these Molex Picoblade connectors have caused a problem!

I look forward to your future posts on this plane, but do understand you have some other projects, so won't hold my breath!
Jan 04, 2020, 08:23 AM
yank and bank!!
I am imprssed by what I see on their website.

If they would offer their foam planes with the same construction as the balsa planes, they could really fill in the vacuum caused by less UM's being offered these days.
Jan 04, 2020, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
I am imprssed by what I see on their website.

If they would offer their foam planes with the same construction as the balsa planes, they could really fill in the vacuum caused by less UM's being offered these days.
Just a note. You have Microaces, Stevens Aero, and Mountain Models, to name 3 that have outstanding micro WW1 kits.
Jan 04, 2020, 03:02 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

Build begun

Following the well-illustrated downloadable instruction manual, I've taken the first step in building the plane itself. This is the inner layer of the three-layer fuselage.

(The supplied UFO glue is a UHU imitation and seems to do the job just as well.)
Last edited by velojet; Jan 05, 2020 at 07:00 PM.
Jan 05, 2020, 05:12 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

Fuselage: outer layers added

I've used the UFO to stick on the printed fuselage sides. The port side is perfectly printed; registration on the starboard side is not perfect so Miss 'Executive Sweet' is a bit blurred.

(The actual B-25 'Executive Sweet' was delivered too late in WWII to see active service. After years of service as an agricultural sprayer, she was sold for use in the movie version of 'Catch 22', flying as 'Vestal Virgin'. Following an extensive restoration, she was transferred to the American Aeronautical Foundation. Contact them if you want to book a flight in her. Me, I'll be content with my MinimumRC version of her.)
Last edited by velojet; Jan 05, 2020 at 05:39 PM.
Jan 05, 2020, 06:19 PM
Ego varius quis.
I just bought a MinimumRC Zero. I'm building mine with a Champ brick for weight, but it looks like $18 well spent.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
This looks like the early years of microAces when they made those cool #-D looking profile planes....then i guess they sold them to these people and then they copied it out into micro planes too. Cool really and cheap also. I want to get that nice little Shrimp V.2 But they're sold out .
I like the design, maybe I can use up y spare parts of various mini vapor models.
Jan 06, 2020, 07:52 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

Fuselage stickers stuck on

The fuselage stickers (see first illustration) cover the edges of the three layers. The instructions indicate they should be left to the end, but it seemed to me to be better to add them at this stage when there's just the fuselage itself to deal with.

Generally, they align well with the printed details of the sides, except for the rear gunner's turret, where the framing on the port and starboard sides is misaligned. But hey. it still looks better than colouring in the naked white foam with a Sharpie.
Last edited by velojet; Jan 06, 2020 at 08:42 PM.
Jan 07, 2020, 01:44 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Thread OP

Hingeing the control surfaces - which method?

The instructions offer two methods of hingeing the control surfaces (see first illustration) - which should I go with?

The first method (cutting a bevelled notch in the underside) is the neatest, but risks (a) slicing through the upper surface, and (b) going with a less robust hinge.

The second method (separating the control surfaces completely and sticking hinges on the undersurface) is not so neat, but could produce a more robust hinge. (I assume the hinges are the oval stickers (see second illustration) - the instructions don't say, simply referring to "the hinge patch on the sticker".)
Jan 07, 2020, 08:07 PM
Ive just taken delivery of the MRC Mitchell and Spitfire but it'll be a while before i build them as i have a few other builds on the go.
Via some emails with them about a V2 cub (ailerons and military colours sticker kit) they said the Corsair is likely to be the next release

Quick Reply