Jan 01, 2020, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for advice for a new chassis

Alright, I am a complete newbie, I purchased a Mini-Z starter kit (MA020S AWD) a while ago along with a bunch of upgrade parts, and when I received it it was not working properly, it kept losing contact with the controller as soon as the car went "too far" (over 1m away from me).

I tried to get a refund but Kyosho never replied to my email.

The kit was 300$ with the car and the controller, I tried my best to troubleshoot the issue and I really tried everything I could but without any success. I started it today after about half a year of not touching it and now it seems like the steering servo died and it won't steer.

Anyway, I think I am done with Kyosho in general, I was wondering if there was a Chinese manufacturer out there that made an AWD chassis that is compatible with Kyosho's MA020S parts (like gears, axles, shafts, differentials) and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that is decent quality ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 11:48 AM
Donít give up on your mini-z man! Have you tried to reset the transmitter as well as the chassis? I would try to do a full reset, then rebind the car to see if that helps.

If that doesnít work, it sounds like you have a bad board. You can get a replacement for about $45 and itís really not that hard to to install. The board is your receiver and servo all in one, so replacing it would solve your issue.

I made a video on how fully disassemble the ma-020 & remove your board, I will link it below. Donít worry about the disassembly, just follow the video, itís simple & straight forward and if you have any questions just ask.

Full Disassembly MA-020s Mini-z AWD Micro RC Car (14 min 13 sec)

Leaving a comment on the video would be the fastest way to contact me as I donít check this forum regularly.

Anyways, good luck man & I hope you sort the issue with your mini-z!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan 04, 2020, 11:49 AM
Oh and here is a link to order the board:

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Min...5_p_46291.html

Jan 04, 2020, 12:51 PM
Low budget fun
Take a multimeter and shove it everywhere you can to check if there's electricity going though seems to be the best option now.
If you are familiar with RC in general, Mini-Z uses 5 wires servo connected to 3-in-1 board which acts as receiver, ESC and servo controller.
Try to find if there's any power going to servo and motor.
You can get a new board to replace but honestly it's not actually financially sounded as FHS board is hard to come by these days.
Again, if you are familiar with RC electronics you can get servo controller board and ESC to modify it to use any radio you want.

Thanks to Kyosho standardizing 1/28 scale RC wheels, tyres and differential now we have many cars to choose from. Also, other kit cars are far superior than Mini-Z AWD.
Take Atomic AMZ for example.
[Review] Atomic AMZ 1/27 4WD RC Car (12 min 46 sec)

If you want to go all out on drifting, there Atomic DRZ. Fist 1/28 RWD dedicated drift chassis.
[Review] Atomic DRZ The 1st Ever Production 1/28 RWD Drift RC (13 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Beaver_XT; Jan 04, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
Jan 05, 2020, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Hey thanks a lot for the help guys !

I really don't know what to do now, I just noticed that one of the cables connected to the servo was cut from the board, so that explains why it's not working anymore. I've been trying for a solid hour to resolder it, but it's so small that I can't do much.

I have considered buying a new board, but I don't know if the board is defective, or if my controller itself is. I tried every single method of pairing, factory resetting, ect. And my issue remained. As soon as my car goes "too far", or as soon as I put the controller behind my back, the car loses the connection.

I have some basic knowledge in electronics, but I can't explain why it does that. Also, I tried to switch the original antenna to a huge one and it didn't do anything haha.

Is there a way for me to troubleshoot my controller ?
Jan 06, 2020, 02:59 AM
Low budget fun
Is it KT-19? You can try binding it with Flysky FS-GR3E receiver.
Jan 06, 2020, 06:56 PM
With the extra detail you provided, and since the wires wonít reconnect, I highly recommend getting a replacement board. I linked one up above & itís in stock, I believe itís the FHS frequency so it works with the KT19 controller. They arenít terribly expensive, around $45 + shipping.

Worth it in my opinion since cars are a lot more expensive.

Jan 07, 2020, 02:08 AM
Low budget fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR3
With the extra detail you provided, and since the wires wonít reconnect, I highly recommend getting a replacement board. I linked one up above & itís in stock, I believe itís the FHS frequency so it works with the KT19 controller. They arenít terribly expensive, around $45 + shipping.

Worth it in my opinion since cars are a lot more expensive.

That's RA-45 for FHSS. He needs RA-31 part no. MD208 for FHS.
If there's one around the same price at 45 usd it'd worth it though.
Jan 07, 2020, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_XT
That's RA-45 for FHSS. He needs RA-31 part no. MD208 for FHS.

If there's one around the same price at 45 usd it'd worth it though.

Dude how do you know so much about obscure parts for cars you donít even own?! Do you have a photographic memory or something lol

Jan 08, 2020, 04:36 AM
Low budget fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR3
Dude how do you know so much about obscure parts for cars you donít even own?! Do you have a photographic memory or something lol

That's just a part of it.
Actually, it's easy to spot the difference. FHS has blue antenna. FHSS has white antenna.

I have both FHS and FHSS but on different chassis. Not sure if I'd buy MA-020 but if nothing new comes out in 2020 I might get one. It's a part of tradition now that I buy one Mini-Z a year.

Quick Reply