Jan 01, 2020, 08:23 PM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP
Build Log

Rebuilding the 1/12th (1/16th) scale RNLI Severn-class lifeboat from Speedline. More

As the Chris Craft and From Russia With Love Sailboat sit lifeless on dry dock (due to poor weather conditions) and yes,
I -could be- working on her interior, but I just had to move her to a stand-by position and break out the next project while I wait to restart the CC and FRWL project in more formidable weather.

Linked here: if your curious about REBUILDING the Chris Craft build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-Motor-Yacht

Linked here: if your curious about
REBUILDING the From Russia With Love (FRWL) sailboat / that is actually From Russia. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ssia-with-Love
Last edited by Fodigo; Jan 22, 2020 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2020, 08:55 PM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP
Royal National Lifeboat Institution

RNLI

THIS SPEEDLINE KIT is a bit different than the only other one I was able to find here. It has a fiberglass hull and upper structure shell. And, unfortunately- I am not starting with clean slate. This is a starter build that was abandoned long ago- so I’m sure there will be plenty of hiccups along the way.

It started its life in London and was abandoned about 6-7 years ago if time serves me correctly. A good friend (Andy) in the UK turned me on to the eBay UK sale and surprisingly- I won the auction. However the guy said he would not ship to the good ol US of A.

From there my UK mate drove miles to pick it up. He held on to it for about a year or so while I was building yet another boat. Good news though, this gave him time to make some plan copies and then package the enormous kit in two giant (what looked to be about the size of Christmas tree boxes) and shipped them to the United States.

He even one-upped the packaging by really doing a detail job. Very nice! Made organizing easier and also made for a safe transit- to the some of about 5300 miles!

Severn class lifeboat scale says 1:16 (106 cm length) but seems more like 1:12th or somewhere right in the middle of the two measurements. There is a fiberglass hull & upper deck shell, laser cut plastic parts, a bag of plastic unmarked pieces), thousands of brass etched parts (some sheets with missing etchings), small quantity of resin fittings, thousands of microscopic nuts and bolts In a bag, a lot of white metal fittings, long brass rods and some extras. I found some figures in the box that appear to be close to scale (maybe 1:12th), some giant motors, and what looked to be servos, duel speed controllers and an already fitted bow thruster installed. There are many full scale diagram plans and a CD with pictures too. Nice kit but no “real” instructions like you might find building a hobby model kit. Aside the schematics 1:1 plans, there are some printed copy instructions that leave you scratching your head. But I still think I got lucky with this one because I just discovered the guy making these ships went out of business years ago and I so wanted to one-day build one of his kits. They have been hailed as one of the best- most detailed kits ever to be manufactured. But no longer in business means-no spare parts can be ordered making this (overall) the hardest build I have ever come across. The missing etched metal parts being the most difficult to re-fabricate from scratch.

Building this behemoth out of the box is hard but rebuilding is a totally different world. I think it’s easier to build from scratch. But when a deal comes along- no matter how difficult it may seem, it’s hard to turn away from the challenge.

My theory is if it was built, it can be rebuilt and likely that rebuild will be better than the original.

So with that in mind- this should be pretty killer when it’s completed.
Last edited by Fodigo; Jan 25, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Jan 01, 2020, 09:12 PM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

2020 happy new year (Day 1)

The upper deck.

While starting the rebuild of the upper cabin- I found it was going to be easier to strip it completely and start over from scratch.

I looked through bags and boxes of parts, cataloged some and grouped others into (mystery bag) parts.
Jan 02, 2020, 01:54 AM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

Virtual tour

Take the real tour. Interactive self guided tour through the vessel from top to bottom.

Even works on smart phones

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Gj...lp=1&vr=0&gt=0
Jan 02, 2020, 03:02 AM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

Deck wheelhouse / right rear passenger side

Disassembly, correcting, sanding yada yada yada

As you enter the wheel house, this month will be devoted to working on everything just to your right as you enter. Like the jump seat, bench seat, oxygen and storage compartments, air vents, small hooks-locks-handles, decals... etc.
Last edited by Fodigo; Jan 02, 2020 at 03:36 AM.
Jan 02, 2020, 09:41 AM
Speedline were way ahead of their time, they were the first to really introduce PE as standard to their kits. The attention to detail was second to none and were the most detailed model boats on the market. Unfortunately events overtook the owner and ill health set in and he had to jack it in, a big loss.
There are quite a few builds over on model Boat mayhem, might help.
Enjoy the build, its worth it.
Jan 02, 2020, 05:07 PM
boat butcher
Glad to see this model being saved .

Mark
Jan 04, 2020, 12:59 PM
Often afloat

Severn build information

As grumpybrit says, there is lots of information on Model Boat Mayhem. You could try here and here as a start, but browsing the Lifeboat section throws up lots of posts about the Speedline Severn. And some of the recent Shannon class builds are worth a look to see what can be achieved on these large scale models.

Have fun with your lifeboat!

Greg
Jan 04, 2020, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy_brit
Speedline were way ahead of their time, they were the first to really introduce PE as standard to their kits. The attention to detail was second to none and were the most detailed model boats on the market. Unfortunately events overtook the owner and ill health set in and he had to jack it in, a big loss.
There are quite a few builds over on model Boat mayhem, might help.
Enjoy the build, its worth it.
it wasn't so much the illness of his wife, or his own short-term illness that he was long over when he retired.....it was the point that he was hounded mercilessly by a certain few mealy mouthed despicable people about the problems he as a virtual one man band was having producing enough of his "new" Shannon kit, and the nasty comments they constantly put on both public and one of theirs private forums both on mayhem and Face book.

I was a personal friend of Adrian Gosling, and still am, and he told me some time ago that he was so sick of the comments, not only was he thinking of suing in the law courts for some of the comments being made against him personally, he was also considering wrapping up his business and retiring.
in the end the comments became relentless and that is what he did.

he retired last October.....but that isn't the end of the story.

his business "partner" is now producing the Shannon and Severn hulls and superstructures with Adrian's permission, and selling them on eBay, with hopefully fittings kits to follow later.

so who knows, we might eventually get the full range back on the market, and hopefully those despots who caused him so much grief that he retired will this time stay out of the new "owners" life and business.
Jan 08, 2020, 03:30 PM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

Whoa!!!

I knew there was something going on behind the scenes with Speedline regarding the closing as my UK friend clued me in to earlier but he never elaborated on the details asserting it would be more exciting for me to find out later.

Well, I am sorry to hear about the health issues and discouraging words regarding the company.

But regardless - I am confident with my knowledge and research on just the kit, and my experience in builds, not only with this be a doozy but a great kit in the long run.

A great restoration :-)

I guess next step is to check out the Mayham site (thanks guys for the input) and start searching eBay UK for some extra parts. (Ha!)

In the mean time my progress is as follows:
Bring on the REINFORCEMENTS
Jan 09, 2020, 01:13 AM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Jan 12, 2020, 06:10 PM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

Laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego
Nice!
Jan 17, 2020, 02:41 AM
Capt. Jack
Thread OP

Getting closer to the bench seat cabinets being done

Getting a little closer to the completion of the seat section. A couple more restraining hooks for the oxygen cabinet and then its off to the paint shop for the detail work.

Quick Reply