Jan 01, 2020, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1:8 Aeronca C-3 Collegian

Cleveland Model and Supply plans were used to build this model a few years ago. It just needs to be finished and that's what is going to happen! Paul Matt's 3-views were used to check measurements and for the 'N' numbers. The Cleveland plans are alright! Motivation is going to be with a Norvel 0.051. Guidance will be via 3 channels... rudder, elevator and throttle. So far with no servos, receiver or battery it weighs 452 grams. The windshield was a 'sticky' point but it is getting worked through. RC56 was used to attach the basic screen to the fuselage. More details will be added to hide the glue gobs in the form of a lithoplate frame. It will be 'fussy' and 'fiddly' but will look the part... I hope!
Last edited by ARUP; Jan 02, 2020 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2020, 09:38 PM
Looks familiar.... Back in the late 1980s Aeronca C-1 plans with extended wing to make it a C-2. I flew it all the time with a .15 engine. It finally crashed when the spar doubler extension I put in failed as I pulled out of a loop. I should have fish mouthed the ends, but I made a square cut after extending it two bays to account for a 72" wingspan. Failed right at the end of the doubler. A good learning lesson on structures, stress risers and failure modes! It was a great plane for light acro and just going round the pattern! Good details on your Aeronca!
Jan 02, 2020, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
That's too bad you lost your nice Aeronca. Those are great inspirational photos! Your wing retention system is a little easier than what I've done. Mine has a washer soldered to the apex of the front struts so that a hook in the wing LE can engage. At the TE a nylon bolt is received by a 'T' nut let into the fuselage structure. The cables are functional as appears the ones on your model are. I would love to have one of those Paolo Severin Aeronca kits.
Jan 06, 2020, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Paper patterns were cut and fitted so as to make windshield framework which is of lithoplate. Rivets were simulated via hammer and punch. The parts were painted then epoxied to the model. Not my best effort but it will pass! Now to some interior details and then servos.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
A tiny bit of work was done to get the 'Aeronca' logo made. It will be 55mm wide and get put onto the fin each side. Paul Matt's book was used to draw the logo. The basic yellow background was cut from Monokote as was the orange portion. You can see some bits laying on the book. Letters and little flags that go between the 'teeth' of the yellow portion will get cut next.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:51 AM

Artwork

Here you go...

Go to the office store and get a ink jet clear label package and you can print them up at home. Spray some clear paint over the
top to fuel proof and your good to go.
Jan 13, 2020, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the graphics post! That will be helpful in future to everyone! Aeronca sure had many iterations of their logo!
Jan 14, 2020, 11:04 AM
In the post WWII years they had three main logos, in the prewar, after the C series they had pretty much a single logo they used. The decal below is good for the early C series when they were on "sunken Lunken" airport near Cincinnati. The field flooded in 1937 and so they moved near Dayton. This is photo of the factory C series. Notice they didn't even have the N or NR or NC in front of the registration! No tail wheel either.
Jan 18, 2020, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
The logos are done! They have a home made look which matches the 'N' numbers and the model... it is pretty homely! The instrument panel is a photocopy from the Paul Matt book sized to fit and glued to a wood panel. Then a 'crash pad' was made from balsa and covered in black cloth to simulate leather. A 1:8 scale pilot needs to be made. It would be cool to have one that looks like Aeronca's test pilot, Fred Fluck.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
The logos are done! They have a home made look which matches the 'N' numbers and the model... it is pretty homely! The instrument panel is a photocopy from the Paul Matt book sized to fit and glued to a wood panel. Then a 'crash pad' was made from balsa and covered in black cloth to simulate leather. A 1:8 scale pilot needs to be made. It would be cool to have one that looks like Aeronca's test pilot, Fred Fluck.
Very nice!
Feb 02, 2020, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, aeronca11AC! The 'Collegian' just needs a nice lightweight scratch build foam pilot bust. The servos, receiver and battery are in place. It needs some nose weight so I'm thinking of pouring some lead into balsa forms as a start to make a dummy engine with the exhaust stacks.
Feb 03, 2020, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
These servo 'cradles' were made to capture the servos. A toothpick segment serves as an alignment pin on one end. There is also (unseen) a small block above each servo to keep the servo from riding up inside the cradle. Next, they were positioned and all throws were set mechanically. Once that was done the cradles were glued in place. Only 'fine tuning' of the servos will be required for test flights.

Quick Reply