Jan 01, 2020, 04:26 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI Digital FPV System Setups / Fixed Wing

-

This thread will be for discussions on setups and use with the DJI Digital FPV system - Related to: Fixed-Wing)

Work in progress, for general info about the DJI Digital FPV system:
use the main thread (That is mostly quadcopter related) here please > DJI Digital FPV System Owners

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A related topic about mainly RC Cars can be found here: DJI Digital FPV System Setups / Cars Surface

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Work in progress - will be edited later]

DIFFERENT SETUP TYPES:

1. Standalone - Use with your own transmitter, no Voltage in OSD
- You only need to power the Air Unit using the 2 wires Black and Red.

2. With a different (Long range) TX / RX - Use a Flight controller
- In combination with your own receiver - The FC will be used for OSD functions like Voltage / GPS etc.

3. With the DJI transmitter - Use a Flight controller
- The FC will replace the reciever

Be aware:
When used without a FC the "Power Limit" may function in a way that even when you have 700mW output selected:
the VTX will stay in 25 mW mode as the FC is not armed! More info: HERE
So in that case turn Power Limit OFF

OSD Only:

If you want to make use of OSD telemetrie, all you need is a basic FC that supports Betaflight OSD.
(With your own TX setup, you don't plan to make use of the gyro for stabilisation for example)

An example would be a cheap Omnibus F4, flashed with the latest Betaflight firmware.

Using the DJI Radio controller - INAV Flight Controller

INAV is the way to go if you want to use the DJI Radio.
The Flight Controller will drive your ESC, servos and any other accessories via it's PWM signal output.
The INAV configurator has advanced mixer settings for servo output:

Recommended Flight Controller:

At the moment the Matek WING series seem to be the best way to go, the F411 will do for most normal setups.
The F405 WING on the other hand has a beefy 9V regulator, and has even more servo outputs.
It also has a larger memory chip sp you can also use ARDUPILOT / with mission planning etc.

These are high quality boards and with the top and bottom plates easy to mount and well protected.

Matek-Systems-F411-WING

Matek-Systems-F405-WING

Matek-Systems-F722-WING

Matek-Systems-F765-WING

Matek WING basic wiring:

BASIC TIPS:

The DJI Air Units are not cheap, recommended to make use of a "backpack" so you can swap between models!
(More info in this later)

Order some extra cable sets for this:
https://www.banggood.com/5PCS-8P-8-P...r_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/5PCS-HGLRC-...r_warehouse=CN

Things to be aware off:
- You may might want to add some extra cooling to the Air Unit -
especially when using the higher output for longer range!

Examples:

40x40x20mm Aluminum Heat Sink

1x. https://www.banggood.com/40x40x20mm-...r_warehouse=CN
3x. https://www.banggood.com/3pcs-40x40x...r_warehouse=CN
5x. https://www.banggood.com/5pcs-40x40x...r_warehouse=CN

40*40*11mm Aluminum General Heatsink
https://www.banggood.com/404011mm-Al...r_warehouse=CN

Cooling fan:

Hobbywing 5V-7V 150A DC Cooling Fan For RC Model Motor ESC 25/30/40mm
https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-5...r_warehouse=CN

5v 30*30*10mm 3010 Cooling Fan with 2 Pin Dupont Wire
https://www.banggood.com/5v-303010mm...r_warehouse=CN

DIY Ultra Slim Low Noise Active Cooling Mini Fan For Raspberry Pi 4 Model
https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Ultra-S...r_warehouse=CN

24V BIQU 3010s 30*30*10mm 24V 2Pin DC Cooler Small Cooling Fan
https://www.banggood.com/BIQU-3010s-...r_warehouse=CN

12V 40x40mm Small Fan 4010S Computer Chassis CPU Fan 2 Line With Plug
https://www.banggood.com/40x40mm-Sma...r_warehouse=CN

(I have a bunch of these on order and will report on it in the thread later)

Links:
INAV thread on RCGROUPS: Cleanflight iNav (navigation-rewrite) project

Some good 3D print files found that are not available on thingiverse:

FPV Pan mount by Noircogi

Air Unit mount by Flynn203 found here and files posted here

BE AWARE PLEASE:
There can be a problem if you over tighten the goggle antennas (especially with aftermarket) as seen in THIS video.
Also be aware the MMCX connectors on the Air Unit are reported to pop out easy in use, and inside pins can bend / break easy!
Use a good mount and / or add some glue like E-6000 around it to prevent this.

Note that you can use a sBus to PWM converter instead of a FC - but it won't have proper failsafe options!

Last edited by Justapoke; Feb 08, 2020 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2020, 04:26 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP

Example videos DJI FPV

Testing the DJI Digital FPV System On My Beaten Up But Beloved Durafly Excalibur (6 min 43 sec)

More to come!

Setting up servo's with INAV

INAV Channel Forwarding Tutorial (6 min 11 sec)
Last edited by Justapoke; Feb 04, 2020 at 04:52 PM.
Jan 01, 2020, 04:27 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Reserved for example setups, wiring diagrams etc.

Basic tips Inav:

(these are examples with standard analog FPV setup - but you get the idea)
Matek F405 Wing FCB iNav setup and flight (16 min 17 sec)

Full iNav setup Matek F411-WSE (18 min 53 sec)

http://newtonairlines.blogspot.com/s.../iNav%20Basics

Fixed Wing and Planes 101: Stabiliser or flight controller? (16 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Justapoke; Jan 08, 2020 at 01:43 PM.
Jan 02, 2020, 02:45 PM
Guy Azulay
Great thread. Thank you.

I just ordered DJI FPV system and i planing to install it on my SkyHunter.
Jan 03, 2020, 09:52 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVV
Great thread. Thank you.

I just ordered DJI FPV system and i planing to install it on my SkyHunter.
Thanks, first post just updated with more info.

Nice SkyHunter, is that the 1400mm model?

I still have one brand new in the box laying around for more than a year, ready to be build. Just always have to many other projects going around LOL.
Have been flying the mini / micro and even that is a blast to fly.

Not sure yet what model will carry the DJI setup first, stuff should arrive in a week or so.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:46 PM
Nice thread!!!

One question, my flight controler doenst have a 9v regulator, just 5v. Assuming airunit is capable of being used on 7.4v - 17.6v, can i just connect directly on 4S battery (with cap)?

Thanks
Jan 06, 2020, 02:29 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaydher
Nice thread!!!

One question, my flight controler doenst have a 9v regulator, just 5v. Assuming airunit is capable of being used on 7.4v - 17.6v, can i just connect directly on 4S battery (with cap)?

Thanks
Hi,

Yeah you can run it direct from a 4S, you probably don't even need a cap.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:36 PM
Guy Azulay
Quote:
Thanks, first post just updated with more info.

Nice SkyHunter, is that the 1400mm model?

I still have one brand new in the box laying around for more than a year, ready to be build. Just always have to many other projects going around LOL.
Have been flying the mini / micro and even that is a blast to fly.

Not sure yet what model will carry the DJI setup first, stuff should arrive in a week or so.
Hi,
This is the big one 1880mm. Fly just PERFECT.
Thank you for the info updated on the post, very laud and clear
Jan 07, 2020, 02:10 PM
Toycar racer
nice thread. subbed as i'm a drone pilot that just bought his first wing. Wouldn't mind throwing a FC and air unit in it. I'll check the diagrams in your post. Thanks!
Jan 07, 2020, 02:39 PM
I'd rather be flying
Great idea to set this thread up, thanks. I have one unit installed on my nano talon and next will be a nano skyhunter!
Jan 07, 2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks for putting together this thread. I'm just getting ready to do the electronics on my FT Explorer build with the Matek F405-WING. I'll be using my own SBUS transmitter/receiver. Couple questions for ya:

- the Matek docs say to put the GPS module on UART4, is there a specific reason you chose to move it to UART3? Are all UARTs effectively the same?
- I assume that the two Air Unit wires, Signal Gnd and DJI HDL, will be unused in my build since I'll instead be connecting my own SBUS receiver - Correct?
- Do you see any value in bridging the VT Voltage regulator jumper to give the air unit 12v? Seems like more power is better and 12v is well within the spec?
Last edited by utnuc; Jan 07, 2020 at 10:27 PM.
Jan 07, 2020, 10:54 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Answers in RED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc
Thanks for putting together this thread. I'm just getting ready to do the electronics on my FT Explorer build with the Matek F405-WING. I'll be using my own SBUS transmitter/receiver. Couple questions for ya:

- the Matek docs say to put the GPS module on UART4, is there a specific reason you chose to move it to UART3? Are all UARTs effectively the same?
No specific reason, it's just the image I used had a GPS connected to UART 3. And yes all UARTs should be the same, it's just how you set them up to function in INAV (enable MSP in the ports tab for the UART you use for the Air unit)

- I assume that the two Air Unit wires, Signal Gnd and DJI HDL, will be unused in my build since I'll instead be connecting my own SBUS receiver - Correct? Yes.

- Do you see any value in bridging the VT Voltage regulator jumper to give the air unit 12v? Seems like more power is better and 12v is well within the spec?
Yes you can run it on 12v no problem, also possible to run it direct from the main power input, as long as you use 4S max.

At this point I have no idea what the most optimal voltage input will be regarding less heat generated inside the unit. I would use 9v as minimum however because I've seen people who had disconnects from using 2 cell 7.4v only.

Specs of the Air Unit: Input Power 7.4-17.6 V, about 4-9 W
Last edited by Justapoke; Jan 08, 2020 at 12:58 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 11:13 PM
Justapoke:

I really appreciate all the info you're posting.I'm not into quads and this seems to be the only place where info on planes is available.I'm a newbie re the air unit and FC's so please bear with me!The connections between air unit and FC are quite clear.In a regular plane setup , RX connects to servos and ESC signal cable.ESC then connects to power and motors.What I am having a hard time grasping are the connections between FC,servos, power and ESC in the three different options you mention.Could you clarify?
Jan 07, 2020, 11:43 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmia
Justapoke:

I really appreciate all the info you're posting.I'm not into quads and this seems to be the only place where info on planes is available.I'm a newbie re the air unit and FC's so please bear with me!The connections between air unit and FC are quite clear.In a regular plane setup , RX connects to servos and ESC signal cable.ESC then connects to power and motors.What I am having a hard time grasping are the connections between FC,servos, power and ESC in the three different options you mention.Could you clarify?
You basicly have 2 options when you keep using your own radio:

Re: RX connects to servos and ESC signal cable.ESC then connects to power and motors

First option: You than could only add the Air Unit / cam to your plane, power it up using only the 2 wires and you are good to go.
You will have no OSD info however in the goggles.

Second option would be to use it in combination with a FC, you would use 2 extra wires to connected to the unit.
The main function will be to get OSD in to the goggles. This can be from flight pack voltage only, to a lot more info (see list below) you can than see as an overlay while flying.

Lot's of different ways to do this, it all depends what and how you connect up to the flight controller.

I left all the servo /esc to motor stuff out of the first 2 options in the diagram to make it more clear.
To start I would suggest leave everything as is on the plane > make a (spitter) connection from your flight pack to power the FC > power the Air Unit now from that FC > connect the 2 extra wires RX TX > you now have flight pack voltage on screen in the goggles.

(From there you can add a lot more, if you want to use INAV for functions like GPS with Return To Home for example: it gets more complicated and you WILL need to connect the servos and ESC up to the flight controller.. so it can control your airplane if needed)

Edit: In that case your receiver will need to be able to output SBUS to the flight controller, so all control signal goes over one wire.

Third option will be for those who will use the DJI Radio, as that will replace the receiver we normally use.
The Air Unit has a receiver build-in, so that's why 2 more extra wires will be used to control servos and ESC's via the flight controller.

You WILL need to connect the servos / ESC to the Flight controller, as your old receiver will be replaced (The unit has no physical PWM servo outputs.)

Hope that makes it a bit more clear on why I made that first diagram.

iNav Osd values

rssi
voltage
crosshair
flymode
craftname
current draw
mah
sats
Pid Roll
Pid Pitch
Pid Yaw
power in watts
cell voltage
Gps Lon
Gps Lat
Pitch Angle
Roll Angle
Main Batt Usage
Disarmed
Numerical Vario
Esc Temperature
Rtc Date Time
Last edited by Justapoke; Jan 08, 2020 at 12:34 AM.
Jan 08, 2020, 02:32 AM
INAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C
Experimental INAV 2.3.0 with support for the DJI FPV OSD, grab the target there : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4v4jm5xu8...PKaUfLuBa?dl=0

Must be activated with this CLI command, depending on which UART the Air unit is connected to :

UART1 : serial 0 2097152
UART2 : serial 1 2097152
UART3 : serial 2 2097152
UART4 : serial 3 2097152
UART5 : serial 4 2097152
etc (save)

The HEXs are built over the latest public build 2.3.0, so upgrading only takes few minutes :
Full dump, save to TXT file, flash the new HEX with full erase, restore the settings with the CLI, entrer the serial command corresponding to your UART, save, done.

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/pull/5303
This OSD support for INAV will be in the coming version 2.4.0
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 08, 2020 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply