Jan 06, 2020, 10:43 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
Neat. If I wanted to do the same (travel over snow) - would the Kyosho Blizzard be the way to go - or is there something newer I should be looking at?

Note that I have a Traxxas Summit - but the wheels, even though extra large - just slip on the snow. So I want to go with a tracked vehicle.

And you are right about cooling the air unit being a priority. I have two in quads - and yeah - they get hot, even out in the open on a quad.

I also have a summit and in snow it is good up to about 3 inches or so. I run it mostly on crust, when the snow hardens on a cold day following a warmer day.

The blizzard is king in powdery snow. On warmer days, As long as you let it cool a good 10 minutes outside before a run, the snow won’t stick to the wheels. On colder days it is less needed.

You could also check the Cat from Spyker workshop. He makes a 3d printed track vehicle that is pretty nice. You can even buy the files and print it yourself. He makes also an extra large Cat that can haul people in a trailer He also makes a 3d printed snowblower and mount for the blizzard.

I have wanted a blizzard since my teens so for me it was a no brainer
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
I'm surprised that Blizzard is 1/12 scale, had the idea it was a lot bigger.

Cool video from Kyosho website:

Kyosho Blizzard FR (2 min 9 sec)

Don't get a lot of snow here anymore otherwise I would sure want one.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:10 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
It’s not a big vehicle for sure, but big enough to work well in the snow. It just needs weight if you want to plow with it. A bigger one to clear the driveway would be great. Spkyker workshop makes a big Cat with snowblower for this but at over 4k$ US I will pass...for now
Jan 06, 2020, 01:14 PM
I've just ordered a DJI Unit from BG aswell, i have a summit aswell i was just wondering if someone can give abit more advice how you are using the built in reciever on the RC Cars, what are you soldering the servos and the trucks ESC too?
Jan 06, 2020, 01:24 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by olli460
I've just ordered a DJI Unit from BG aswell, i have a summit aswell i was just wondering if someone can give abit more advice how you are using the built in reciever on the RC Cars, what are you soldering the servos and the trucks ESC too?
If you want to use the DJI radio, you will need a flight controller with inav or betaflight to drive the servo as this is a system intended for multirotors. But you can easily use it in cars and planes this way.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:30 PM
Yeah i have a few quads and spare flight controllers with betaflight, More wondering how it's soldered up and setup in betaflight?

What does the truck ESC & servo connect to on the flight controller?
Jan 06, 2020, 01:36 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Yeah i have a few quads and spare flight controllers with betaflight, More wondering how it's soldered up and setup in betaflight?

What does the truck ESC & servo connect to on the flight controller?
PWM ports ?
Jan 06, 2020, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
PWM ports ?
Sorry didn't mean to offend you with my lack of knowledge. The pictures are loading in the main thread now, didn't seem to load when i first visited it will have a read through that.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:00 PM
Toycar racer
interesting....subbed
Jan 06, 2020, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to offend you with my lack of knowledge. The pictures are loading in the main thread now, didn't seem to load when i first visited it will have a read through that.
Hi olli460,

Yeah the first post has info to get you started hopefully. A board that you can flash INAV on probably preferred as that seems to have more options for servos.

I'm not sure however if all the info is correct, never used a FC myself on a car so all still needs to be figured out.

Might be a simple PWM converter instead of a FC can work, might be a FC with just Betaflight firmware can work.
The point is that with the DJI Radio there's no easy way to program things like endpoints, dual rates, expo etc. as far as I understand, so that why I'm aiming at INAV myself.

When my set with radio is in I'll try things out and report back, I suggest others to also share theire ideas, test and knowledge so when can get these systems going
Jan 06, 2020, 02:56 PM
Thanks appreciate the good information.

Just to double check with INAV you can setup the end points etc on the servos, or thats not possible at all currently with the DJI Controller?

I just ordered the F411 to have a play with, looking forward to testing it all.

Are you running the 1200mw hack? How hot does it get in a car, I've got a few stock cpu coolers was thinking of sticking that on top of it and powering the fan.
Last edited by olli460; Jan 06, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 04:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
No offense taken ! I wrote it like that with interrogation mark because I wasn’t sure 100% if I was right it’s been a while since I played with flight controllers. So no worries !
Jan 06, 2020, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Some basics:

I'm an airplane guy mostly, with airplanes I do a lot of programming on the radio.
Each of my airplanes have their own model selected on the Taranis when I fly.

Same goes for the few cars I have (I use a FlySky Noble NB4 radio now)

Trim, endpoints, sub-trim, reverse, dual-rates, expo, endpoints, mixes etc. all done on the radio.

For my quads however I use a single basic model in the radio, all settings are done and stored in the FC on the quad.
When I fly a different quad I don't change the radio model selection.. (but quads have no servos)

The DJI Radio has no screen, no model selection, only trim buttons.

I just checked the manual however.. page 29 in the PDF:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_..._Manual_EN.pdf

There are in fact settings there you can change, using the goggle menu: Sub-trim, Reverse, and End-points.
So that's at least something they put in there for airplane / surface use

So you miss Dual-rates, Expo, and Mixes!

And if I'm correct from memory I've seen in the other thread the settings above are not stored in the Air Unit and there's no model selection. So that would mean with multiple models / Units you may need to correct everything each time?

The differents with INAV is at least that it has a mixer page, I don't think Betaflight has that function.
And with INAV I've seen an easy function so you can set to use the gyro to stabilise the steering servo (use "Rudder" settings)

So if you have a more advanced setup and need any mixes, than INAV looks the way to go for me.

Again I don't have the DJI Radio in my hands yet, all info is just from doing a bit of research and I'm far from a Betaflight / INAV guru !
Last edited by Justapoke; Jan 07, 2020 at 05:05 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
The extra Air Unit I ordered came in today, not that I can do a lot with it but at least I can have a look and start thinking on how mount it on whatever model.

First impression: bit smaller than I had in mind, especially the antennas. The MMCX antenna connections kinda suck in the Unit design. The 3D print I found fits nice and improves things I guess. Next would be to look at cooling for sure, the Unit body is made from very thin aluminium!

Camera cable is a bit short.
--

I have an older HPI E-Savage (Dual brushed) with a nice HK Berserker body that might be a good car for a bit longer range ?
Does that come a bit close to the Summit most use?
Jan 07, 2020, 06:48 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
^
If you mount that camera on the lexan body, it will shake like madd.

Has anyone have a universal CAMERA mount to mount on a Traxxas SUMMIT?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!

Quick Reply