Dec 31, 2019, 01:38 PM
AMA 1042906
Thread OP
Discussion

AR6400 Replacement

Since Horizon discontinued the AR6400 brick receiver what is an alternative for that receiver when one is needed in micro indoor airplanes? What are you using?
Last edited by swimmer; Dec 31, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2019, 01:44 PM
I like the Oversky MXL-RX62H-V2.

https://www.banggood.com/Oversky-MXL...r_warehouse=CN

Tim
Dec 31, 2019, 05:21 PM
AMA 1042906
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip

Tim

Are you using a Spektrum transmitter? I'll be using a DX8.
Dec 31, 2019, 06:23 PM
Yes I have tested it with a DX6i. The RX is capable of both DSM2 and DSMX (though I used it with DSM2).
For my small planes though I usually use a Devo7 transmitter with deviation software (again using DSM2).
You can also get a version of this RX for other protocols: SFHSS and FrSky, but you would want to order the DSM2/DSMX version.

Tim
Dec 31, 2019, 09:06 PM
Since I am a cheapskate I use Flysky stuff.
So...

https://m.banggood.com/Mini-Flysky-A...l?rmmds=search

I ordered this for the next step towards light.
Jan 02, 2020, 11:37 AM
AMA 1042906
Thread OP
Me too. Horizon sells the AS6410L for $59.99. Little much for a small scratch-built indoor foamies. Rather spend my RC dollars on my larger aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHuman
Since I am a cheapskate I use Flysky stuff.
So...

https://m.banggood.com/Mini-Flysky-A...l?rmmds=search

I ordered this for the next step towards light.
Jan 05, 2020, 12:11 PM

Questions?

Quote:

Tim - I've been looking for a cheaper alternative and found this receiver online just prior to reading your post. Being considerably cheaper than Horizon's brick, I was skeptical of the quality but it sounds like you've had no issues - correct? Actually, I don't think Horizon even sells a non-AS3X brick now.

So, question #1 - regarding the picture of the receiver which shows a "THR/ESC" connection. I'm confused about when/where/why this connection would be used. Any help would be appreciated!

Question #2 - what was your shipping time? Website says 7-20 days.

Thanks!
Dan
Jan 05, 2020, 03:06 PM
There are three solder pads next to the battery +/- pads (where the red/black wires are).

The two closest to the edge of the board would be used to power a brushed motor. You would either solder the motor wires directly to those two pads or solder an appropriate 2-pole connector there to plug your motor in.

The third pad which is next to the battery + pad (red wire) is the throttle PWM signal that would go to the signal pin of a brushless ESC. A brushless ESC typically has three input pins or pads: -/+/signal. So you would have: one wire go from the ESC signal pad to this pad on the brick, another wire from the ESC + pad to the red wire pad, and the third wire from the ESC - (ground) pad to the black wire pad.

I have only used this brick with brushless motors. In that case I typically unsolder the red/black battery wires from the brick, solder them to the ESC +/-, and then run a second set of red/black wires from the ESC +/- to the brick (that gives the shortest route from the battery to the high load motor and longer connection from the battery to the lower load brick).

As for shipping time - it's Banggood and China, don't expect it quick (couple of weeks?).

Tim
Jan 05, 2020, 09:10 PM
Tim - perfect/excellent explanation. Very easy to understand. Initially I plan on using the brick for a brushed application but if/when I decide to go brushless, I'll know exactly what to do. Thanks a bunch for including the diagrams- much appreciated!!!!! I'll be ordering a couple shortly.

-Dan
Last edited by rflyn4fun; Jan 05, 2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Jan 05, 2020, 11:43 PM

Another question........

In the "answered questions" section of the Banggood website for this receiver, one persons mentions that 2 cells were used (I'm assuming a 2S battery). Wouldn't that potentially fry the receiver given that a 2S battery when fully charged is 8.4 volts and the receiver rating is only 5 volts max? Not planning on anything bigger than a 1S battery currently but, was just curious in case the need ever came up.

-Dan
Jan 07, 2020, 08:50 PM
v2 had some problems (oversky) the new v3 is much better more accurate

tom
Jan 07, 2020, 10:33 PM
Hmm I completely distrust Oversky but Hey! it's your $ and your hopes.
They don't actually build anything just relabel and resell whatever they can.
Expect Zero support.
Jan 08, 2020, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Hmm I completely distrust Oversky but Hey! it's your $ and your hopes.
They don't actually build anything just relabel and resell whatever they can.
Expect Zero support.

I've had great response and support from Oversky. They resolved an issue I had promptly. And, YES they are the manufacture of these bricks.
Jan 10, 2020, 07:15 AM
Ego varius quis.
I have some spare AR6400s. Brand new Mini Vapor bricks, too. Would be keen to swap for a pile of Depron.

If you told me fifteen years ago that I'd be swapping something that blew away a $300 Falcon setup for styrofoam, I'd have told you to see a shrink.
Jan 10, 2020, 03:15 PM
AMA 1042906
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I have some spare AR6400s. Brand new Mini Vapor bricks, too. Would be keen to swap for a pile of Depron.

If you told me fifteen years ago that I'd be swapping something that blew away a $300 Falcon setup for styrofoam, I'd have told you to see a shrink.
Are your AR6400's for sale?

Quick Reply