Dec 31, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Contest

F3J/F5J in Vegas(ish)

It is that time again, I am pleased to announce that we will once again have a dual event in Las Vegas for 2020 - May 1-4, 2020.

It will again be held in Sandy Valley at the same sod farm as last year. More details will follow.
It will likely be the exact same location on the farm but that will not be completely firm until a few weeks before the event.

Now for the schedule. The F3J event will be first again this year. I thought about this a lot again and have come to the same conclusion - we need to keep the schedule the same as last year with F3J first on Fri/Sat and F5J on Sun/Mon. I know I can't please everyone, but you should at least understand my rationale. The F3J event is MUCH more intensive to get set up. If we finish F5J on Saturday we would have to quit quite early in order to allow the F3J field setup to be accomplished and allow for some practice. This allows the F3J guys to set up their winches and not have to move them. Having F3J first allows all of Thursday to be used for setup and practice and not interfere with the final day of the F5J event. This way we can fly until later in the afternoon on Monday for the flyoffs. We expect the F5J folks to be allowed to fly on another circle on the farm for practice on Saturday - the same as last year. If anyone can give me better logic for F5J first I am open to it - but the argument can't be "just because it was second last year".

So - the field will be open on Thursday 5/2 at daylight for practice and setup for the F3J guys. Arrival for campers and RVs will depend on the location we are assigned on the farm (parking needs to be arranged appropriately). We will let you know as soon as we can.

We expect to have catered lunches each contest day the same as last year. Local community groups will provide the lunches. There will be a separate signup and cost for the lunches. That will happen at the beginning of April.

Very few people took advantage of the group rates we negotiated previously so you are on your own to make your hotel arrangements.

Registration is now open at: http://f3xevents.com/
Please be sure to register for the correct events, there are multiple open events!

Gordon Buckland and Jeff DuVal will be the coordinators for the F3J event and Jim Monaco and John Lovins will coordinate the F5J event.

I ordered great weather - so it should be a fun time! Last year I ordered calm for F3J and breezy for F5J. This year I ordered it the other way so bring your lite planes...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
OK folks - Sandy Smith will be our CD for both events. Thanks Sandy!

Time to start getting registered. We expect to have catered lunches by the local non-profits again this year. As we get closer to the event and I have more details I will open registration for lunches...

See you there...
Jim

Quick Reply