Jan 06, 2020, 11:32 AM
I admire the entrepreneurial spirit in listening to the market and then developing a product that meets those demands, off the shelf.

If they are using an internal module, then FCC approval is a prerequisite and that can be a lengthy process. I believe they need a working prototype, but that may have changed over the years.

But the bottom line is the bottom line. If FrSky had launched the Horus at $149, there would be no T-16. Can the new radio hit the market at a price that will make it a no brainer? $150 - $200 yes. $200+, who knows. Then the question is, can they produce a reliable product at those margins and still stay in business.

This is a hobby of tinkerers, and many of us don't mind being "Beta testers".

All will be revealed....

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 11:36 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstick
I like the black and chrome. I just can’t stand the lighted buttons. I think these buttons are not lighted.
They did a good job with the black and a little bit of chrome. Instead of chrome they could have went with the darker chrome like Futaba has on the 18sz anniversary addition.
I like it.
What's the issue of T16's lighted buttons? Haven' t had reason to use them yet but don't see a problem and I do fly after dark occasionally. The fact that those button LED's also light up the knobs S1 & S2 may be a design feature and actually something that I like as I can easily find them after dark. So I like them. You don't. Jury's still out.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Jan 06, 2020 at 11:44 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:49 AM
Quote:
I like the black and chrome. I just can’t stand the lighted buttons. I think these buttons are not lighted.
They did a good job with the black and a little bit of chrome. Instead of chrome they could have went with the darker chrome like Futaba has on the 18sz anniversary addition.
I think it needs to stay chrome because of the wear on the buttons. Black would be oily and get smooth.
I like it how they did it now. I prefer 6 position scroll switch over the push buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
What's the issue of T16's lighted buttons? Haven' t had reason to use them yet but don't see a problem and I do fly after dark occasionally. The fact that those button LED's also light up the knobs S1 & S2 may be a design feature and actually something that I like as I can easily find them after dark. So I like them. You don't. Jury's still out.
They leak light on the knobs. Not by design. Bad implementation of the lights. And they leak to each other. Just cheesy to me. After you do the mod they are harder to push.
I am not the only one feels this way. Doing the light mod helps but not practical.
Glad they got rid of the lights.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:55 AM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
I'd be happy to see a version without the sliders or 6 position buttons and maybe lose SE and SG
Jan 06, 2020, 12:01 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Just cheesy me.
To each his own. That little bit of button light bleed over is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
Jan 06, 2020, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I'd be happy to see a version without the sliders or 6 position buttons and maybe lose SE and SG
That would work too never use the sliders. Just give me 2 more switches somewhere. But if they fixed the slider it is not a problem anymore.But I do like it overall though
They did great with the black.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:08 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
That would work too never use the sliders. Just give me 2 more switches somewhere But I do like it overall though
They did great with the black.
The Turnigy/FlySky i10 has ratcheting sliders.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:53 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcurtis2
Hopefully we can get them to add it to this new radio so Multi Development could continue.
It would be best to have an external JR module first. Putting something yet to be developed and obviously untested as internal to a new radio that will need to rely on it as main output would not be wise to put it lightly.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
It would be best to have an external JR module first. Putting something yet to be developed and obviously untested as internal to a new radio that will need to rely on it as main output would not be wise to put it lightly.
That would speed up release as no FCC approval required.
Bob
Jan 06, 2020, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Well put!
I do agree but we then need to discuss and introduce the idea first so someone can push it to an External for testing.
With the current MPM near capacity we will soon be making decisions on what to cut out so that we can still build firmware.
This is just a wishlist to what a new radio should bring to make the consumer want to purchase a new TX.
Colors, lights, knobs and buttons are great marketing but in the end functionality will also matter.

Thanks for your input - Rich
Jan 06, 2020, 01:37 PM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Competition is competition.
It's FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH,...... all over again.
And maybe MORE BRIGHTNESS!! Does this mean it goes up to or past 11?
Last edited by bnrusso; Jan 06, 2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: When will the owners group start? That's a sure sign of success!
Jan 06, 2020, 01:38 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Personally, I’m going to wait for for the Jumper/HP X-lite version. They could call it xD-lite.

Perhaps one without an internal module. Just a bay to plug in an external mpm lite. That should keep the cost down and allow provision for module updates.
Screen size as on the x7, x-lite is fine.
Joystick nav is fine, just use more robust (10mm, not 7mm) joystick switches.

Simply cut and past this Xbox controller, with the rear paddle shifters and all. I’d be D - lighted!

Oh, and ~$80 without the module.
Jan 06, 2020, 03:06 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrusso
It's FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH,...... all over again.
Nope, this was very different, all of these were the exact same unit, all made by FlySky just with different branding.
Jan 06, 2020, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djc
Since 480x272 UI has been designed only for colorscreen, it would be a very lengthy developement to support such a screen
There are B&W LCDs that can do greyscale for example the original Gameboy had a 4 level greyscale screen.

Another idea might be to forgo LCD entirely and use an electronic paper display. There are units now that are fast enough to display graphics and they are both highly readable in direct sunlight and extremely low power consumption (far less than even a b&w LCD)

Here's an example of e-ink for productivity. This is basically just a hack though and you could get better results with a UI and code to drive it specifically designed for the application.

E-Ink for Productivity: An Introduction (23 min 26 sec)
Jan 06, 2020, 03:22 PM
Happy FPV flyer
The dev complexity is not so much a question of color/grayscale it's a question of resolution and way of driving the screen.

E-ink has pretty terrible contrast which is nice for reading as it's soft on the eyes, but pretty inefficient to display data.
Even fast ones are frustratingly slow to drive an interactive UI.

Quick Reply