Jan 05, 2020, 07:42 PM

Pauliwog's 2 Cents...

Hey Cool! Thanks for posting your build-up!

Adios -Paul
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 07:37 AM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog
Hey Cool! Thanks for posting your build-up!

Adios -Paul
Hey Paul,

Good to see you chime in!

I got some more done on the right wing this weekend. The sheeted outer panel is a go by way of shaving away 1/32 off the upper half of the ribs.

I also cut wire tunnels in the ribs for the spoilers and added a servo platform. I accidentally installed the ribs before cutting holes. Thanks to jwhitacre for pointing it out to me, so I could fix the mistake sooner rather than later. Hopefully I'll avoid that mistake on the left wing.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:12 AM
Looking good! Moving along well with the wing, I may of missed it but what colors are you thinking?
Jan 06, 2020, 11:53 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
So far, I am thinking trans blue fuselage, trans red wings and tail feathers, with a couple of trans white sections.

One nice thing about the Spirit 2M kit, it goes together quickly and is very simple.

In hindsight I would have cut lightening holes in the ribs.
Jan 07, 2020, 02:00 AM
Lightening holes are doubtful in their benefit. Unless the wood is particularly heavy, the gain is outweighed by the loss of strength, in my view. It would look pretty though.
Jan 07, 2020, 07:54 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
Quote:
Lightening holes are doubtful in their benefit. Unless the wood is particularly heavy, the gain is outweighed by the loss of strength, in my view. It would look pretty though.
I guess I didn't miss much then by not doing.
Jan 07, 2020, 08:59 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
Leading edge and shear webs on the right outer panel: that's all for today.

The instructions say to notch the LE and bend it around the two ribs where the taper increases. This is the second Spirit where the LE just snaps. Easier to just pre-cut and glue together. I believe the LE is stronger that way in the long run. Otherwise you have just 1/8" thin bridge glued together, like I do.
Jan 07, 2020, 09:13 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
A few notes:
I'm planning to build in about 1/4" washout. According to Dick Williamson at http://charlesriverrc.org/articles/k...spiritmods.htm with the sheeted tips, you don't need washout and flies fine with reduced tip-stall tendencies, but I'll build it in to play it safe.

Also, I'm leaving the last three bays without shear webs. Don't think they are needed in the tips for F3-RES bungies. I won't be launching this on a winch.

And I'm planning to build this as a one-piece, bolt-on wing. It should be a stronger, lighter setup.
Jan 07, 2020, 11:01 PM
Had to go back to my Spirit 150” build log and yeah I did the outer panel LE exactly like you did. Builds looking better all the time, keeping me motivated to work on my build too.
Jan 24, 2020, 10:10 PM
How’s the build going?
Feb 01, 2020, 02:47 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
I'm doing some fuselage work today. I made the f4 and f5 bulkheads equal in width. That way I can glue them against one fuselage side at 90 degrees. Once the other fuse side is glued to these bulkheads, it's easy to align the sides while gluing to the nose bulkhead and gluing the tail ends together; easier to get a straight fuselage this way for me.

I also glued two light balsa rails to the fuselage side in the radio compartment to ensure I get a level servo tray later in the build.
Feb 08, 2020, 11:34 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
More fuselage work happened today...in between making breakfast for the fam; baking some banana bread; running to the hobby shop to pick up 1/2-inch balsa for the nose block, opaque teal monokote for the fuse, and 4-pin Deans connnectors; 10 miles of easy biking; volleyball with the kids.

I finished gluing together the fuse sides and installing all of the bulkheads. The fuselage uses two 1/8 x 1/4 basswood stringers on the bottom corners and 1/8 x 1/8 balsa stringers in the upper corners from the wing to the tail (a la Opal fuse). You can see an after-market Thermal Eagle fuselage in the background -- I was using that as a model for the nose/forward fuselage shape. I traced the upper curve of the fuse onto my plan from LE of wing to the nose tip.

The rest of the pictures show the creation of the nose block. I cut three pieces of 1/2-inch balsa and laminated them together. I needed to make sure the bottom edges were at flat and aligned, as well as the aft face to provide a good gluing surface. Glued it all together with thin coats of Elmers wood glue.
Last edited by R2R; Feb 08, 2020 at 11:44 PM.
Feb 09, 2020, 10:38 PM
R2R
R2R
Thread OP
Sunday progress:
  • 1/16" balsa fuselage bottom glued on. Grain runs nose to tail to maximize fuselage bending strength for those exciting F3-RES landings.
  • Noseblock glued on with medium CA.
  • Cut and installed 1/4" birch ply wing bolt plates.
  • Installed/glued in the rudder and elevator pushrod housing for the 0.032" Sullivan gold - n - cables.
Feb 10, 2020, 07:39 AM
Looking fantastic, I like 😎 Can’t wait to see the flying pictures, tail end of the build always gets me anxious to see it all come together.
Feb 10, 2020, 02:09 PM
RoyH
This is my version of Spirit mods
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ge-2018/page11
See #156 for more detail
Thanks for looking
Roy

Quick Reply