Dec 29, 2019, 03:16 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Build Log

Vickers Supermarine Attacker for 3D printing

I figured I would try my hand at designing and 3D printing a plane. I figured a nice simple round fuselage shape would be the way to go for the first one.

I wanted something a little different so I selected the Vickers Supermarine Attacker. I haven't seen any kits of it. There were one or 2 scratch built versions that I have seen. I have the Chris Golds plans available for a small balsa version. So looks like it would be a nice unique plane to have.

Its got a few nice features for a rc edf, its got big wings with lots of dihedral, large inlets and its a tail dragger for my grass runway.

Few things to do first
1. figure out largest plane I can do with my printer without splitting all the large pieces
2. scale out the plane to meet that limit
3. select the fan size for the plane size to see if the inlets are large enough or need to be modified.

So it looks like a 1/8th scale Attacker will fit the printer and fit a 90mm fan.

That comes in around a 56 inch length and 55 inch wingspan, about the right size for a 90mm fan.

I picked the NACA 2412 aifoil for the root, with a slightly thinner 2410 for the tip

So after many hours of trial and error I've gotten the basic airplane done. Its not perfect but close enough for my first attempt.
I've also split out the control surfaces. Then I hollowed out the inlet and outlet duct work

So the basic solid model is done. Now I need to go read about inserting spars, battery compartments and servo holders.

FYI This is gonna be a slow build, as I have lots to learn about CAD and 3D printing.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2019, 09:06 PM
EDF rules... :)
Hi Ken, your model looks great.
Following along,
Cheers,
Eric B.
Dec 30, 2019, 12:24 AM
Nice subject not often modeled. Built a 30" model with a tiny 5300kv Feigao /EDF40 setup. Easy to fly and amply powered with the large wing.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-Video-added
Dec 30, 2019, 01:12 AM
Very cool. What design style are you thinking of doing for the 3d printing? Something like Lynxman, 3D lab print, or different?
Dec 30, 2019, 04:05 AM
I've been thinking about doin ga big one for 120 mm. I like tha tail dragger configuration as it's easier to land in tight spots.
Dec 30, 2019, 08:02 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Very cool. What design style are you thinking of doing for the 3d printing? Something like Lynxman, 3D lab print, or different?

Not sure yet, thats one of the things I need to learn about.

Lynxman if you decide to design one, I'll probably end up printing out yours
Dec 31, 2019, 11:03 PM
Onward and Upward.
Neat design. It used the Spiteful's wings?
Jan 02, 2020, 08:02 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Ken, hope you had a Merry Xmas and New years! That printer has opened up a new modeling world for you!

Fuzz
Jan 03, 2020, 09:46 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Steve, Merry Xmas and Happy 2020 to you as well.

Printer is a pretty neat tool. Though in reality I've spent so much time learning this CAD that I probably could have built the Attacker in balsa by now.
Jan 03, 2020, 11:11 AM
Big gov never Works
Once you learn it, you can use it to improve those balsa builds. I have a KeilKraft Attacker plans, and one for, I believe Chris Golds. Nothing like a tail dragger jet!

Fuzz
Jan 03, 2020, 11:54 AM
The one thing I love about the 3D printing aspect is the repeatability and reduced time effort on the tail-end. I have 3 U-2Rs in my workshop currently. each one took about 200 hours to print, but only require 30 minutes to assemble sections and get to an "ARF" state.

I also like the lack of balsa dust and planking needed , though there is definitely a trade-off in weight with 3D printing whole airframes at smaller scales.
Jan 03, 2020, 11:53 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
So cool!! Always loved the attacker!
Jan 10, 2020, 04:49 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Been making some progress on the Attacker

Started thinking about how to print and build. So I added tabs and pins for attaching the stab and rudder to the fuse

I simplified the flap to 1 piece, less scale, but easier to build.

Fixed the canopy a bit, fixed the wing, stab and rudder tips.
Improved the inlet lips
I added a battery compartment up front.
Added tabs and pins for attaching the stab and rudder to the fuse
Started placing the servo hatch locations and pockets for the servos

Decided I would go with robart hinge pins, so I started thinking about how to install them. I made a tool that would cut the part the way I wanted in the control surfaces. Then I'll place that where I want to make the hole for the hinge pin. I put ribs on the tool to give the glue something to bite into

Printing the test blocks for the Rev 2 pin design as I type this.

Still lots to do
Jan 10, 2020, 06:19 PM
Ken,
That is some fantastic 3D CAD work from a guy just learning!
Jan 10, 2020, 06:21 PM
Big gov never Works
Ken, this could be the perfect jet, for the grass.

Quick Reply