This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 27, 2019, 03:16 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

Changes of Direction

The last year or so (in which I turned 75 years of age saw my model aircraft flying sink to an all-time low. The local weather has been atrocious (windy and wet) but more importantly, my confidence as a model pilot dropped due to lack of stick time. I have two or three models on-the-go but have found little excitement in getting back into them. I may find some enthusiasm again so they can sit and wait

Modelling has not stopped however, as I purchased a kit for a static model of a fully rigged sailing ship - Cook's Endeavour! I'd half built a similar model some years ago but life events got in the way (as they often do) and I passed on the uncompleted and somewhat damaged model to a friend before I left Australia and returned to my home country of New Zealand. That model took almost all of my shed-time for about 9 months and I found the experience wonderful. The Endeavour model was completed only a week or so ago and now graces a room in our home in Inglewood, New Zealand.

I then discovered a park in a nearby town which held a scale boat regatta over several days with yachts, and importantly, electric powered scale ships, boats, tugs, battleships etc all enthusiastically piloted around the park lake and crowds looking on. I was hooked So, after finishing the Endeavour, I searched around for a powered scale boat that appealed to me and had some relevance to my past 75 years! Immediately I thought of the WW2 Fairmile patrol launch used in many British Commonwealth countries - a vessel that I'd seen back in the 50s, and which many of were converted and used as ferries in NZ harbours.

I'll post a link when I start the build thread.

So, I've not left rcgroups but I'll be starting a build log up in the scale boats section shortly. Just a subtle change in direction

Cheers, Pat
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2019, 01:35 AM
If you want to keep stick confidence I would suggest a model flight simulator. There are more then some around (even one or two free) with a variety of plane model usable. It is not (never could be) like the real thing, but, believe me, it helps.
Last edited by eagle60; Jan 04, 2020 at 06:09 AM.
Jan 01, 2020, 05:54 AM
you haven't seen a tree until
Pat, there is always charm in your models as well as copious amounts of skill and artistic talent. Although I will miss your aircraft on the planes section, I shall definitely be taking a peak at the ships/boats section. Best wishes for 2020. or should I say 'left hand down a bit'. Did the Navy Lark radio series make it to Aus/NZ?

That is a really beautiful model, so glad it has a good place in your house.
Last edited by fairweatherflyer; Jan 01, 2020 at 06:05 AM.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:36 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Thanks Vicky Yes, The Navy Lark I remember a loooooong time ago!

My latest venture into model ships/boats can be found here on rcgroups......

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-scratch-build

Hopefully it will be updated as often as I did in the scale aircraft section

For those interested in more mundane stuff - my static build of the HMB Endeavour is on a different forum: In model ship world - kit builds. URL when I find it! Got it...

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/203...comment-619960

Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jan 11, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Feb 27, 2020, 07:50 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Fairmile progress

My recent change to model ships/boats has reinvigorated my modeling
Building just for the love of it and not needing to worry about will it fly
Instead, I concern myself with 'will it leak', ESCs that reverse and a whole new modeling genre to learn
I have a build thread on my current boat at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-scratch-build

Here are a few pictures showing the double-diagonal planked hull - it was challenging but fun!

Pat
Feb 28, 2020, 02:37 AM
you haven't seen a tree until
I can see how that has kept you busy. - thats beautiful work on the hull. how does plank bending compare to wire bending
Very nice indeed.
Vicky
May 06, 2020, 10:12 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Progress Report....

An update on my Fairmile........slow progress even with lockdown time

Pat
May 15, 2020, 01:04 AM
Balsa Lover
An HMB Endeavour! Now that's a surprise. Very neat build!

I've started converting a (different) static kit of Cook's vessel into an RC square-rigger quite some time ago. Still not finished but you can find the thread here in case you're interested: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-rigger-build Although the kit isn't very historically precise it was quite enjoyable to build so far.
May 25, 2020, 09:09 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
So that's where you've gone! I was beginning to wonder...

You're right, there's something very zen about building a fully-rigged sailing ship. Long ago I built a Cutty Sark and then later a Scottish Maid from an Artesania Latina kit, and thoroughly enjoyed the process. I have a Nova Scotian lobster fishing boat under construction along with my hangar-full of half-built airplanes, so I guess I haven't left ships and boats behind.

Think I'll wander over to your Fairmile Launch thread and have a closer look...

Steve

Quick Reply