Dec 27, 2019, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
New Product

60" Rans Courior

I've always had a soft spot for home-built airplanes, so the Rans is a natural for a park flyer. Plus, a friend owns one, so there's all the reference anyone would need to build a model. The S7-S has a wingspan of 29' 3", and qualifies for light sport category pilots. At 60" span, the model is roughly 1:6 scale, and as "Park Flyers" go, it's a BIG model, but it's going to build light, and with functional flaps the short field capability is going to be superb.

The model will be set up using a Suppo 2217 Outrunner on 2 cells, and guidance by 5 ch. R/C. The cockpit doors will be functional so battery and component access will be easy. And when it's all said and done, Manzano Laser works will be offering plans and Short Kits for the Rans. So now, with parts and plans in hand the only thing left to do is build it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2019, 01:27 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Fuselage

Construction begins with the side frames. Construction is basically balsa, with bass wood for the windshield pillar and aft vertical support. Both sides will build over the same framing plan with the things that will determine the LH & RH sides added after the frames are lifted from the board.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

Joining the Side Frames

The side frames are joined at the cabin beginning with the landing gear mount beams and top cabin formers. From there the top and bottom cross pieces and firewall are added from the aft cockpit forward. Then the tail post was pulled together and glued, followed by the aft top formers and cross pieces.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Cabin Outfill and Stringers

The cabin door was filled out to match the side stringers using 1/8 x 3/16 balsa and tapered into the wing root. The stringers were added in prep for adding the boot cowl.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:44 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Boot Cowl and Main Landing Gear

The boot cowl pattern were made up with the sections made from Manila file folders. The sections were glued in place starting at the bottom and working up. Then the landing gear struts were bent to shape, tack glued to the mount beams and soldered together. From there the landing gear was lashed in place and secured with thin Cya.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:47 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Tail Feathers

The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are framed from balsa and a couple of cut parts -- no bowed outlines on this one. The parts were framed up and set aside, and will been shaped and the hinges cut in later.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 30, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:50 PM
Thread OP

Building the Wings

Because the parts are being cut on 24" balsa sheets the main and rear spars had to be cut in two sections. The spars are joined by pinning the inner and outer section on the board and gluing them together. From there, asll of the components were removed from the cut sheets to prep for basic assembly.
Dec 27, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP

Framing the First Panel

Construction began with pinning the servo mounts in place over the plan, then the ribs were dry fitted onto the main spar. The assembly was pinned in place over the plan, the rear spar dry fitted in place, the the entire assembly was tack glued together. All of the internal components that are flush with the bottom surface of the wing were added, then the assembly was lifted from the board. The remaining parts were added, including the wing tips, and the panel sanded to shape.

One thing I will do before covering will be to scallop the main spar between the ribs which will make for a much nicer covering job. The change has already been made on the laser parts, so the builder won't have to fool with that.
Dec 27, 2019, 02:00 PM
Thread OP

Finishing the First Wing Panel

A final detail sanding was done to contour the leading edge as well as flush up all of the strut attach points and servo mounts. And finally, the wing joiner tubes were fitted and glued in place. The second panel is already roughed in, and from there it'll be on to the flap and aileron assemblies.

PAT
Dec 27, 2019, 03:51 PM
I eat glue
Yipee! One right behind my house, on floats.
Dec 27, 2019, 05:57 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I think I'll be ordering this one. I've wanted a Courier ever since I saw one a bunch of years ago. My wife always said 'no'. I guess I'll finally get one.

Tony
Dec 27, 2019, 07:32 PM
I've got the motor! I've got the wheels! I've got the paint scheme!

When will plans and kits be available? (please soon, please soon, please soon....)

Brad
Dec 28, 2019, 05:29 AM
Funny enough, a few years ago I did a 40" Courier inspired by your light weight building style. And it even had a yellow/white paint scheme close to the one in your first post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...40-Video-added

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...5-RansS7_3.jpg
Dec 28, 2019, 11:57 AM
Way to go Pat! Can't wait to see this one done! I contacted you a few years ago through email, asking if you'd be interested in modelling any of our fine designs. I've been with Rans Aircraft since 2002, I offered 3-views, anything you needed, I'm glad to see you chose this awesome design. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.
Dec 30, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Eddie, Good to hear from you. I had been planning this one, and have actually been working on the plans for awhile, but it seemed like every time I started making a bit of headway something else would crop up. But, when my friend bought his Rans and wanted to build a model of it I figured it might be a good time to forge ahead and button it up. Glad I did. . . . .

PAT

Quick Reply