Dec 27, 2019, 09:09 AM
Watch out for the Muffler Man
Thread OP
Alert

Faa is exploring requiring some sort of remote I'd transmitters for our models.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/research_development/remote_id/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2019, 09:31 AM
A man with too many toys
There are a lot of technical problem to be overcome before that happens. If you need one for each airplane they will have to get the cost down to the $10 to $15 range or no one will buy them.

The problem for guys like me is I fly in uncontrolled airspace out on my farmland - many miles away from anyone. The FAA needs to be selective about who needs ID and where they fly.

A while back they were think of requiring ID for beyond visual line of sight - no that sounds like a good idea. I so no value added to requiring ID for model airplanes that never fly more than a few hundred meters from the pilot.

They have a lot of work to do before they decide the details of this idea.

Dec 27, 2019, 09:34 AM
I am not affected by it, so I can only try and imagine how a similar idea would work out over here in Europe, but to be honest, the basic idea is not all that bad if it helps prevent accidents, and more so, if it helps provide hard data on whether the perceived danger that RC-planes, helicopters or drones are supposed to present to full size aviation is real or not. Because I like to believe those dangers are not as big as some lawmakers think they are.

I am not in favour of this kind of stuff, but if it would become mandatory, I'd say there are also possibilities to use it for good instead of bad.
Dec 27, 2019, 09:36 AM
A man with too many toys
Another problem is the quantity of airplanes and drones flying. The system may require some updates to be able to handle 10 million drones and airplanes on a summer holiday weekend. Can air traffic control handle the extra load? Some weekends I will take as many as 10 airplanes to the flying field. I have several small electric and 1/2a airplanes that I fly a lot.

I wonder if they can make remote ID with GPS small and light enough for a 1/2A airplane for less than $10? For a 1/2a airplanes that will be my price cutoff.

Dec 27, 2019, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Another problem is the quantity of airplanes and drones flying. The system may require some updates to be able to handle 10 million drones and airplanes on a summer holiday weekend. Can air traffic control handle the extra load? Some weekends I will take as many as 10 airplanes to the flying field. I have several small electric and 1/2a airplanes that I fly a lot.

I wonder if they can make remote ID with GPS small and light enough for a 1/2A airplane for less than $10? For a 1/2a airplanes that will be my price cutoff.

Dunno... but I guess, it would be not a real problem to incorporate such a device into the receiver itself, make a rule that no receivers can be sold without it, and it would phase in gradually. A bit like how LBT protocols are being phased in in Europe at the moment.
I don't think it needs to be long range stuff, I see it more as something that pops up on a pilots screen if full scale and RC gets too close to each other. Relatively simple programming should make it possible only the targets that possibly pose a threat to pop up. No need for full detail identification or complete track of flightpath. Maybe just a number, and a "class" (fixed wing or drone, recreational or professional, something like that).

But that's just my salon chair thinking right now, no more, no less.
Dec 27, 2019, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Remember, the FAA has failed to separate line of sight aircraft from FPV and autonomous aircraft thus far.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
Remember, the FAA has failed to separate line of sight aircraft from FPV and autonomous aircraft thus far.

We do have that separation, and in our case theoretically I only see a need for ID devices for the FPV and autonomous stuff, but that is when presuming everybody with a recreational line of sight type plane/drone/heli sticks to the rules and nobody is flying where it is prohibited.
Unfortunately that is not the case...
I don't like to be followed around when minding my own business of course, but I see a positive in that any authority concerned can simply SEE that I am not doing anything illegal, so I don't have to explain myself when I am not doing anything illegal...
Dec 27, 2019, 10:58 AM
It does not matter what any of us see or think the FAA is implementing these requirements regardless of cost or weight to us. Current fields will become extinct in short order, FAA says it in this latest notice, by force of regulation more or less. And all these comments of such varying opinion is exactly why we will lose this hobby in the next year or two at most.
Sad to think a short while ago we were exempt from regulation but our unwillingness to come together, and dependency on the AMA, has been our demise.
Dec 27, 2019, 11:31 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
I don't think it needs to be long range stuff, I see it more as something that pops up on a pilots screen if full scale and RC gets too close to each other. .
So the FAA will have no way of knowing if your ID system is working or not. Don't see how that is going to prevent the bad guys to continue to fly the way they are. Looks like you won;t really need an ID if you are just park flying or drone racing at low altitude. Full scale are restricted to 500' so the rule should be that you don;t need ID if you are flying less than 500'.

I can see that we are a long way from having a useful rule that recreational flyers will actually follow. Just like automobile speed limits no one will follow the rules without enforcement.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
They haven't published the proposed rule yet, so we don't even know what they're proposing yet. the proposedrule will be published Tuesday.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:48 AM
Quote:
They haven't published the proposed rule yet, so we don't even know what they're proposing yet. the proposedrule will be published Tuesday.

But it has been written, https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems . Enjoy!!
Dec 27, 2019, 01:06 PM
Quote:

They have from the first post scroll down to Notice of Proposed Rule Making, read it and make comments!
Dec 27, 2019, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
There it is, page 8....

"All UAS operating in the airspace of the United States, with very few exceptions, would

be subject to the requirements of this rule. All UAS operators would be required to comply

regardless of whether they conduct recreational or commercial operations, except those flying

UAS that are not otherwise required to be registered under the FAA’s existing rules."

Dec 27, 2019, 02:01 PM
Considering all the yak about the 400' rule I am sure there is going to be more ranting and raving over something that is pretty far off in the future and only in the proposal stage at this point. Receiver ID is a consideration of the FAA. I will listen to the AMA on what they say about all this. Right now I am encouraged by the way they are handling the 400' rule and I think they will get this receiver ID thing under control.

Can anybody think of a way to keep nut jobs from screwing up our hobby? I see crazy stuff all over YouTube and even on this forum with people flying drones and FPV airplanes over people and all kinds of places.
Dec 27, 2019, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
If your model contains autonomous flying modes or a first person video system it should be mandatory, especially if it comes preassembled from a manufacturer. If your model flys line of sight with no more than pitch, roll, and yaw stabilization, it should be exempt.

Quick Reply