Jan 18, 2020, 07:32 PM
Go small or go home
Beautiful job Tim!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 05:51 AM
Looks very good. Does it make the whistling sound of death?
The usual setup with 3a esc and a rewound 0705?

That is a bit funny. I am also planning a tiny P38.
Are you gonna do your usual control sheme, AET?
I will do mine with Differential thrust and elevator. Am still debating whether to use brushed or brushless components.
Jan 19, 2020, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
For the F4U I went with a rewound 08028 which is actually a couple tenths of a gm lighter than the 0705 but its larger diameter gives it a little more torque so it can swing a larger diameter prop at a little higher rpm (or same rpm at a little less amps, depending on the rewind). Now I just have to find the best prop for this air-frame. Stuck with the 3A esc since it is rewound for about 1.2 amps full throttle (I don't like to push my small batteries very hard).

As for the P-38, yes it will be AET. The problem with a Peanut P-38 is that when you shrink it to a 13" wingspan it doesn't have much wing area due to its high aspect ratio wing. In addition to that the central pod and two booms get pretty small since the original P-38 had a whopping 52 foot wingspan (compared to 35 - 40 feet for the others). Fitting in all the R/C gear will be a challenge.

Tim
Jan 19, 2020, 09:58 AM
Great job on a challenging subject Tim. I built the Sterling peanut Corsair in high school, it looked great but didn't survive my uninformed trimming attempts.

For your P-38, consider building one of the clipped-wing 1948-1949 Sohio racers. Some were clipped to as short as 40-foot span (race #25) and had the radiators and their side pods removed, would give you more wing area at peanut span and a cleaner, lighter structure.

Regardless of which P-38 you choose to build I'm looking forward to seeing it come together and fly.

Mike
Jan 19, 2020, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is a link to the upcoming P-38 project:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post43634133
I like to include these links for the future, if someone stumbles on one of these threads a year or more from now, they can hopefully use them to trace down my other similar projects.

Tim

Quick Reply