Jan 10, 2020, 07:49 PM
That still gets me. I would be angry at myself for days if I ran over a model (by accident)!

Really hoping to have some time this weekend. This week has been very busy at work, and running kids around, and free time spent working on a response to the FAA NPRM on Remote ID, so I've made no progress ... I do have the servos and have worked out how I'm going to mount them. Now I need to go and do it.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 02:36 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Got a little more done on the Canberra. Built the fin last night and plan on assembling the rudder today. Cut the extra wood in the rear section as suggested, I couldn't believe there was almost two ounces of wood I would have to address when balancing. Except for F-15, all the top bulkheads are installed. I may have to trim a section under the fin to get the stabilizer to mount. I'm still working on that part. F-15 sets the dihedral angle at the stabilizer.

Rosie
Jan 11, 2020, 04:05 PM
It wasn't me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propbuster1948
Cut the extra wood in the rear section as suggested, I couldn't believe there was almost two ounces of wood I would have to address when balancing.

Rosie
It's looking good, Rosie.

Yes, some designers get tunnel vision when it comes to design decisions. A lot of times they think that they need to add more structure so the model will survive crashes or hard landings. That fuselage is a good example of what I'm describing.
Jan 12, 2020, 06:11 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Thank you Dan. I'm beginning to learn from everyone how to build electrics. Built and matched the rudder to the fin last night and this morning. Those big, thick leading and trailing edge material is super light. I'm not sure what happened to that lower rudder rib. There's a bigger gap at the rear than the front. I may have to cut a new one. I hope to start the stabilizer and elevator build later today. I'm saving the wing for last because I need to lighten all the ribs. Has anyone ever used large brass or copper tubing as a punch? Would 1 or 2 inch copper joiners work on balsa without the crunch and punch effect? The biggest brass stuff I have is 1/2 inch brass. All of the lightening hole were done with Forstner bits. I've tried using Forstner bits on balsa. Bad effect.

Time for popcorn and a movie.

Rosie
Jan 12, 2020, 06:59 PM
Rosie
Nice build. Have you any idea of the likely total weight?

In principle the J57 (or the Avon) turbo jet in a nacelle does not make a good EDF installation. Its too small a diameter and its too long. This tends to mean that the rest of the air frame has to be 'light' to compensate.
Given the kit was intended for IC power where the prop area is many times that possible with an EDF the air frame weight is bound to be important.
I will be following with interest.
Jan 12, 2020, 07:14 PM
I've tried punching with copper tube - not good. Even with an edge filed down on the grinder, you get very bad crushing. What does work is to make a "drill bit" out of large diameter K & S tubing and use that with a cordless drill
Jan 12, 2020, 09:07 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
Rosie
Nice build. Have you any idea of the likely total weight?

In principle the J57 (or the Avon) turbo jet in a nacelle does not make a good EDF installation. Its too small a diameter and its too long. This tends to mean that the rest of the air frame has to be 'light' to compensate.
Given the kit was intended for IC power where the prop area is many times that possible with an EDF the air frame weight is bound to be important.
I will be following with interest.
Park Scale models has one flying at about ten pounds. The big difference is the Park Scale has a Clark-Y airfoil. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Models/page39 Mine has a fully symmetrical airfoil. Finished weight of mine should be around 10 pounds. So far I've cut a lot of wood out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianda217
I've tried punching with copper tube - not good. Even with an edge filed down on the grinder, you get very bad crushing. What does work is to make a "drill bit" out of large diameter K & S tubing and use that with a cordless drill
Thank you landa. Locally we don't have anyone who carries anything bigger than K and S 3/8ths brass.
Jan 12, 2020, 11:18 PM
Pro Hoarder
HI Rosie. Looks good so far. On the rudder just a filler on the fuse. The full scale rudder didnt drop all the way down. For making holes I just use a coarse grinder bit in my Dremmel and route them out
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 13, 2020, 03:07 AM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
HI Rosie. Looks good so far. On the rudder just a filler on the fuse. The full scale rudder didnt drop all the way down. For making holes I just use a coarse grinder bit in my Dremmel and route them out
Thank you Scott. I didn't think of the Dremel grinder.
Jan 13, 2020, 11:36 AM
Classic jets rule
I think you could also use your dremel to make some oval lighting holes out of some of the circular holes by removing the wood in between two circles.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:19 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
I think you could also use your Dremel to make some oval lighting holes out of some of the circular holes by removing the wood in between two circles.
Thank you Sally.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:32 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
I am moving forward on the Canberra. The stabilizers are made and the bulkheads that hold and set the stab's dihedral have been prepared.

Rosie
Jan 16, 2020, 11:38 PM
Classic jets rule
Looking good !
Jan 19, 2020, 08:14 PM
Canberra Girl
Thread OP
Worked on the wing root assembly today. Carved out some lightening holes. I got carried away with the spar slots, they will be filled in before I sheet the inner root assembly. I liked Zeke's wing to root mounting idea, I used it. Hope he doesn't mind. A cold has me down so not thinking as clearly as I should.
Jan 19, 2020, 10:08 PM
Nice. That really looks like it should help with the weight. I also like the wing mounting Zeke did.

Quick Reply