Dec 26, 2019, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Christmas Fury

Over the Christmas holiday I usually try to build up a small model. Not that I can finish a model within a week, I start earlier but the target is to maiden it by 1st January. This year I have wanted a small jet.

After some consideration I decided for FJ-1 Fury in about 1:25 scale.

At first, I made sure the model would fly with the QX30-14000 drive, the measured data are here - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=48

As today, the airframe is almost complete, awaiting the tissue and dope.

Jan
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2019, 10:19 PM
Classic jets rule
It should fly nice ...they are good flyers. I did a short kit of a 43" ws. Good luck keep us posted.
Dec 27, 2019, 11:07 AM
Nice subject and been wanting to build one of these myself using a 30mm (really 32mm) QX EDF. Used the 3s fan on several builds and seems comparable to a BL EDF40 also used on a number of builds. A bit less power with the 3s version, while a 10-12A ESC has sufficed and lightened the wiring/ESC weight. Good to be able to keep the intake scale on this subject and fly well with weight management with the small but powerful fan.
The tailplane should be fine. I used a straight joiner bar on a 40mm Yak 23 with a bit less dihedral in the stab. It has a bit more up than down motion (desirable) before the linkage starts to bind, but plenty for good control. S-3021 worked well too.
Dec 27, 2019, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Thank you, guys, for your kind words. The Fury seems to be undermodeled to me, perhaps because it does not spell "speed" with its straight wings.

I have plenty of 2S1000 batteries from my e-sailplanes so I chose the QX 14000 version. Honestly, I got scared by that measurement of mine, 24 A is a lot for a so small motor, on the other hand, heat it is what kills, not the current, will have to be careful on the throttle.

Finished the intake and exhaust, and covered the model today, so I am more or less on the schedule.

My original weight estimation was over optimistic. Before the covering, the airframe inluding the EDF+ESD was 102 grams, tissue 5, first dope layer 3 so I am at 110 now. Battery is 50, servos with linkages and Rx maybe 20, so 190-200 g range is more likely. RC needs to be more sturdy than FF . Still it should be OK, I think/hope.

AntiArf (Bill?), please have you shown somewhere on RCG how to make a canopy for such a small model? Thanks.

Jan
Dec 27, 2019, 07:03 PM
Classic jets rule
Go to my FJ -1 thread there are some vids in there, the plane is very fast very clean ,glides very well.
Dec 27, 2019, 10:21 PM
I've been making pull frames a bit larger than the mold and pulling the heated plastic sheet over the canopy mold. Using aluminized duct tape seems to work well, as it can take the heat of a heat gun used to heat the plastic. Folding the plastic sheet around the sides of the pull frame before taping works well, as it keeps it from sliding off the tape when heated. This canopy was a bit trickier than some, given it's length. The smaller the easier to pull. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=32
FWIW the Lansen was one of my heavier GWS EDF40 BL jets at around 10.25oz, which had adequate power. The 2s QX 30mm EDF is easily as powerful.

My only concern with the fans was the few seam welded sheetmetal bell explosions of the higher power 2s version: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rushless-Motor
For assurance, I've been sawing off short rings of soft aluminum from lipstick tubes, which slip fit over the bell after using a hex socket to expand them a hair. A wicking of thin CA fills the gap: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...93&postcount=4
Dec 28, 2019, 08:24 AM
Thread OP
Air Sally: I have seen your perfect FJ-1, it is a real beauty. What I meant to say is that a jet with swept wings appeals much more to people who want to feel the power and speed, although just the opposite is true for our slow subsonic speeds .

AntiArf: Thank you very much for your hints for making the canopy. It is clear and I am going to give it a try with the VectorBoard, I do not have any clear transparent material at home now (maybe a drink bottle?).

As to the bell "explosions" I have seen your modification, but am afraid of introducing additional imbalance, the unit is capable rpm in excess of 70000. Nevertheless, I paid attention to the reports and tested the EDF in the piece of plastic thickwalled plumbing pipe.

Jan
Dec 29, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Played with controls all day today but got it sorted out, eventually.

Scratch buildig is a big fun . I started with the elevator servo at the right hand side as I wanted (do not know why, though) the snake to exit on the right side. Then I got an idea it may be better to run it cross-wise so I made the exit hole on the left hand side, and ended up with relocating the servo. Ok, it is done now and working nicely.

The covered and doped (4 coats) airfame + EDF/ESC was 108 grams, with servos and linkage it is 123 g.

Jan
Dec 30, 2019, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Ready to flight (sans canopy, painting, marking) at 183 grams.

Please, do you know if HH/Spektrum has any small receiver like that AR6115e? I have a couple of Orange Rx but somehow do not trust them, except in foamies.

Thanks,

Jan
Dec 31, 2019, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
The Fury has been just maidened!

The weather has changed over night from sun and calm to overcast and wind but I could not sit still. Started the outing with chasing after the hatch in the strong wind (about 20 mph), but once I put the Fury in the air she fought it nicely. Some up trim was needed and the controls feels oversensitive, some expo will be dialed in.

A Happy New Year!

Jan
Dec 31, 2019, 09:49 AM
Congratulaions Jan, on your great looking Fury! Very clean build. I'm sure it must have flown very well, in those conditions, judging by the big smile on your face.

I like how you even incorporated the scale hatch!

Any chance of releasing plans for the F-1? I'm certain many people, here in the States, would enjoy building one as well.

Thanks, Brad
Dec 31, 2019, 08:00 PM
Congrat Jan and Happy New Year to you!
Jan 01, 2020, 04:58 AM
Thread OP
Thank you, Kevin and Brad, especially for the Jet-kayak

In my opinion the plan making/drawing is an art of its own and at the moment I do not feel up to this task. However, I can provide what I have (see the sample attached). The blue line is what I traced down from the 3D-view. Then I started with the EDF/ducting and added the formers, etc., not all details are shown. If this is acceptable I will clean my drawing, add a list of notes and make it available here in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Jan
Jan 01, 2020, 10:25 AM
Happy New Year Jan,

The drawing looks great! Should be quite sufficient to be able to reproduce your Fury. I would be grateful with any help you could provide..

Thank you, Brad
Jan 01, 2020, 11:48 AM
Classic jets rule
Congratulations a very nice looking little jet. I knew it would fly really good. Where is your cg? I believe mine is 22% z 24% MAC. THE LEX on the wing pushes it a bit forward,that and the canopy.

Quick Reply