Jan 21, 2020, 07:51 PM
Amazing...simply amazing!!! Extremely high respect for your skills.

If I put in that much time and effort into my planes, I will never fly them.

Yes, I built balsa planes from kits and scratch back in the 60s and 70s. Before film coverings too. Relatively few got into and survived the hobby then. So I got some skills and patience. But nowhere close to yours.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 09:29 AM
It's all about scale models!
Thread OP
Quote:
Amazing...simply amazing!!! Extremely high respect for your skills.
Very nice of you to say! I had promised myself that, for once, I was going to fly the plane first before I went nuts with the detailing, etc. But I ran into a few weeks of "no-fly" weather and kept on going. I was fortunate that the maiden turned out to be a virtual "non-event" as have subsequent flights, knock on wood. The P-40 is like the F4U Corsair -- it's a good idea to "drive it to the ground" and land on the mains. With the flaps fully cranked (I really like to crank them) plus gear down, this plane still takes 50% throttle until the final leg -- but even so, it really slows up (as does my 1600mm Corsair).
Feb 06, 2020, 04:34 PM
Thread OP

Flight Video: Staggered Gear Extension & Landing, FMS 1400mm P-40B

My friend shot some nice video of me flying on his iPhone -- this sequence shows the gear coming down, staggered, as per full-size craft. One of my nicer landings. And like the real P-40, landing on the mains is recommended!

In Flight: Staggered Gear Extension & Landing, FMS 1400mm P-40B (1 min 9 sec)
Feb 06, 2020, 10:39 PM
ICM
ICM
Gorgeous plane and perfect landing! Just picked up one of these with an AR610 rx at a swap meet. I have neither your skill or patience, so I spent 2 1/2 hours with a bit of Beacon foam finish and some sample paints from Lowes ( excellent color match) and did some hangar rash touch up. Looks great and I'm satisfied. Now have to set it up on my DX9. I like to fly my scale planes scale with maneuvers which the real plane would do. Just curious - what are your rate and flap settings on your DX8?
Last edited by ICM; Feb 06, 2020 at 10:49 PM.
Feb 07, 2020, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Just curious - what are your rate and flap settings on your DX8?
I'll have to measure the throws next time I have it out to fly. All those settings don't really matter if you don't have the same max throws as I do. Once you set max throws same as me, then the D/R settings will matter. I do add some expo on this plane, but not as much as some flyers I know. I will add that this plane likes a bit of rudder mixed in with the ailerons. Only way I can describe it is that it "turns into the turns" as opposed to "dragging ass around a turn." How technical!

Flaps are different of course -- I probably have mine set to go down as far as they they can mechanically. While I set up low, medium and high rates, I almost always fly on low rates only, and have the others just in case the low rates are insufficient. I should probably set them all the same later after I'm satisfied with the low rates. I'm with you about flying "scale" -- I fly scale models because how they look in the air, and when I see guys jerking scale models around like they are 3D models, I just wince.
Last edited by MrSmoothie; Feb 07, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
Feb 07, 2020, 02:29 PM
Flying again - 4th time
Boy, what a great thread!
Feb 07, 2020, 08:03 PM
ICM
ICM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
I'll have to measure the throws next time I have it out to fly. All those settings don't really matter if you don't have the same max throws as I do. Once you set max throws same as me, then the D/R settings will matter. I do add some expo on this plane, but not as much as some flyers I know. I will add that this plane likes a bit of rudder mixed in with the ailerons. Only way I can describe it is that it "turns into the turns" as opposed to "dragging ass around a turn." How technical!

Flaps are different of course -- I probably have mine set to go down as far as they they can mechanically. While I set up low, medium and high rates, I almost always fly on low rates only, and have the others just in case the low rates are insufficient. I should probably set them all the same later after I'm satisfied with the low rates. I'm with you about flying "scale" -- I fly scale models because how they look in the air, and when I see guys jerking scale models around like they are 3D models, I just wince.
So you set your max throws by servo travel in the TX or by mechanically adjusting the control rod connections to the holes in the servo arms/control horns and then set rates?
Feb 11, 2020, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
My friend shot some nice video of me flying on his iPhone -- this sequence shows the gear coming down, staggered, as per full-size craft. One of my nicer landings. And like the real P-40, landing on the mains is recommended!

https://youtu.be/M8h3vYy-mY4
That's some smooth flying there, MrSmoothie!
Feb 12, 2020, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
So you set your max throws by servo travel in the TX or by mechanically adjusting the control rod connections to the holes in the servo arms/control horns and then set rates?
I thought I should actually check my model before typing (for once). I have all servo arms at the outermost hole, and all control horns in the outermost hole as well. As you can probably guess, this results in to much throw.

So reduced travels are all set in the Tx. Are you on Spektrum by chance?
Last edited by MrSmoothie; Feb 12, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Feb 12, 2020, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
That's some smooth flying there, MrSmoothie!
Thanks! Obviously, I wouldn't have posted a video of me flying badly (I delete those!)...

However, I'll say that this is a very smooth flyer provided you have the correct (non-manual) CG, and a Lemon Stabilizer Rx doesn't hurt.

Nearly all of my landings with this plane have been like the video. It's funny how some models you can figure out exactly how to land them nicely and consistently -- while others, it seems no matter what you think you're doing, consistent results ain't happening!

Quick Reply