Dec 26, 2019, 05:10 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salin
I see what the AMA is getting at but the devil is in the details. (and this devil is on page 3 of the executive summary)

The remote ID message of a standard remote ID UAS includes:
"Latitude/longitude and altitude of the control station and UA;"

The remote ID message of a limited remote ID UAS includes:
"Latitude/longitude and altitude of the control station;

So the first reaction is great, for limited, I just need a ground station and I don't need to put anything in the plane...
However, they also say:
"Limited remote ID UAS must have a built-in feature that prevents it from operating more than 400 feet from the control station."
To comply with this you need to have both an auto pilot and a GPS lock. If you are flying a camera quad, no problem, it already has return to home and a GPS module. How many model airplane / heli / or race quads have GPS and geo-fenced auto pilot?
Or a really weak RF signal, say 10mW or less.
Latest blog entry: Test entry
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2019, 05:16 PM
So, in light of this proposed 'rule' are we going to now require ALL full scale aircraft to remote ID as well?

Or how about DIY home built UAS? How is that going to work?
Dec 26, 2019, 05:20 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
So, in light of this proposed 'rule' are we going to now require ALL full scale aircraft to remote ID as well?

Or how about DIY home built UAS? How is that going to work?
Look up the ADS-B requirements.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/
Dec 26, 2019, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Look up the ADS-B requirements.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/
Will it be required on "bush" airplanes, or those without electrical systems?
Dec 26, 2019, 05:31 PM
What was the talk about amateur-built systems not needing remote ID? I haven't had the opportunity to read it in-depth but how does this affect scratch built aircraft?
Dec 26, 2019, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
I have seen this coming for far too long and have become frustrated at everyone around me ignoring all my warnings.

Feel free to read my rant about this. This is not new. This is a freight train coming at us.
So how does this effect all of those who bought S.A.F.E. trainers that Horizon sells? Since there is no need for an instructor the idea was for the newbie to be able to fly anywhere as on his own property. With all of these proposed ID rules, do you think it will cut into sales of those self flying airplanes?
Dec 26, 2019, 05:35 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Will it be required on "bush" airplanes, or those without electrical systems?
No idea. My point is that the FAA is requiring a higher level of ID for GA aircraft as well. The new ADS-B rules apply mostly to flying in controlled airspace, I suppose a lot of bush planes are not trying to land at LAX
Dec 26, 2019, 05:36 PM
Heath
Quote:
Or a really weak RF signal, say 10mW or less.
Great so all I need is a new transmitter with a sub 400 ft range...
What could possibly go wrong...

Somehow I don't think the FAA will approve the "If it flies beyond 400ft it just crashes in a random location" plan.
Dec 26, 2019, 05:37 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1
What was the talk about amateur-built systems not needing remote ID? I haven't had the opportunity to read it in-depth but how does this affect scratch built aircraft?
Homebuilt stuff without built in remote ID would need to be flown under the lowest tier where flying is confined to an FAA recognized flying area. Or, in the Intermediate tier where simple ID using something like a phone app would suffice with the caveat that you cannot get more than 400 feet from your transmitter.
Dec 26, 2019, 05:42 PM
Heath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Homebuilt stuff without built in remote ID would need to be flown under the lowest tier where flying is confined to an FAA recognized flying area. Or, in the Intermediate tier where simple ID using something like a phone app would suffice with the caveat that you cannot get more than 400 feet from your transmitter.
Why could you not fly it with a standard class remote ID? (Assuming you installed the correct remote ID hardware)
Dec 26, 2019, 06:04 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Why could you not fly it with a standard class remote ID? (Assuming you installed the correct remote ID hardware)
I was assuming a model airplane with no, or limited on board equipment. Certainly is you were able to meet all the requirements of standard class there is no reason why you could not do that method.
Dec 26, 2019, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Page 174:

No they are trying to require everyone to use remote ID. Their summary is however misleading by including the third options of FAA-recognized identification areas and then hiding the details on page 174 of the proposal.
You got to the heart of it. You brought up the very part that made me go hhhmmmmm...

Once they establish the rule the number of clubs can only remain the same or decrease! They really want remote IR in every plane ultimately.

Our club leases their land from the state....it's so easy to lose a Club site and then have no recourse.

For the record....I have about 80 planes and maybe 35 are UMX. So I'm down to flying my UMX planes in my yard, becuase I'm not going to deal with so much beauracracy in what's supposed to be a simple hobby.

Also notice they include RC planes in their term "drone", yet every illustration and example shows a quad?
Dec 26, 2019, 06:11 PM
In the standard remote ID UAS I don't see anything about line of sight.
Dec 26, 2019, 06:23 PM
All aircraft to be registered with a SN. This would be just like full scale home built. You would become the permanent manufacture. If you sell it, your name stays with it. If you sell or destroy it, you must notify the FAA.

You must belong to a CBO and fly at a recognized area. This would be the first time the federal government would require you to be a member of a private organization. I think this question was asked by another poster.

Will the FAA recognize clubs that fly off full scale airports?
Dec 26, 2019, 06:25 PM
Heath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Echo
In the standard remote ID UAS I don't see anything about line of sight.
They don't need to say anything about line of sight because you are still prohibited from flying beyond line of sight by the other rules. Just because you meet the remote ID requirements does not wave any of the other requirements like flying below 400 ft or LOS / BLOS rules.

Quick Reply