Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop HD FPV Drone RCGroups Review

The Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop is designed around the DJI FPV system and there's a lot more than that to love about this product. Check out our full review right here.

Splash

Introduction

Frame: 3mm 3k Carbon Fiber
FC: Kakute F7 HDV
ESC: Tekko32 F3 4in1 45A mini
VTx: DJI Air Unit
Motor: T-Motor F1507 KV3800
Props: T-Motor T3140
Weight: 274g with DJI Air Unit
Battery: 4S 650-1800mAH
Available at: Holybro
Price: $199.99 w/out DJI Air Unit / $375 with DJI Air Unit

The Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop is designed around the DJI FPV system and there's a lot more than that to love about this product. I was interested in the new DJI FPV system when news first broke. I knew it would not be long before we started seeing drones designed around the DJI Air Unit and that's exactly what Holybro has done with the Kopis Cinewhoop. It's a 3" quad with ducts around the props. It's sleek, slim and will let you fly through gaps and in places you can't go with larger drones. Being a "Cinewhoop" drone, it is not made for racing or hardcore freestyle, but rather its purpose is to capture cinematic style video footage. How well does it work? Stick around and find out my thoughts below.

Video

What's in the Box

Holybro sent the full Kopis Cinewhoop package including the drone itself with the DJI Air Unit pre-installed along with all the other electronics, the DJI FPV Goggles and the DJI Transmitter. You can purchase the drone without the Air Unit if you already have one or just want to use it with analog FPV systems. Here's what came in the package.

• Fully assembled Kopis Cinewhoop
  • Carry Case
  • Manuals
  • USB Cable
  • DJI FPV Accessories
  • DJI FPV Goggles
  • DJI Transmitter

Features

There are some great features on the Kopis Cinewhoop that I really like.

Frame

First of all, it's one of the smallest drone frames available that fits the DJI Air Unit, although smaller DJI compatible VTx's and frames will be coming out soon. It measures as 8" wide by 7" long and is 1.5" tall without a battery. The small size and ducts allow you to fly it in tight quarters and even indoors like a large Tinywhoop.

I really like the design and decision to use a few 3D printed parts. The ducts are made from PLA so if you break them, you can easily make new parts (if you have a printer) and in any color you want. The camera guard, landing gear bumpers and XT60 mount are all made from TPU. If you have a 3D printer it's awesome to be able to make your own replacement parts. You can also purchase these parts as spares if needed. The bottom frame plate is a single piece of 3mm 3K carbon fiber.

The frame design is well thought out too. The camera is protected and allows for varying degrees of up tilt to your preference. The top plate removes with 4 screws allowing access to the electronics if needed and there's a nice battery strap included as well. The XT60 holder at the rear keeps the wires out of the way of the props. The ducts interlock with each other on the sides and are removable with two screws and nuts. It's easy to work on if you need to replace/repair anything. You can access the USB ports on the FC and the Air Unit without having to remove anything and the Air Unit antennas are held in place out to the sides by the ducts which is brilliant!

Quality Parts

Holybro did not skimp out when it comes to quality. The frame is 3K carbon and they used T-motor brand for the motors and props. The ESC board is quality as is the Kakute F7 HDV flight board. With the Kopis Cinewhoop, you are getting some of the best components available.

Kakute F7 HDV Flight Board

I'm really impressed with this FC. The stock tune feels great to me and I haven't needed to change anything other than calibrating for level once. It's designed to work directly with the DJI Air Unit and controller so there's no need for a separate receiver, although you can still use one if you want. It's also set up for autonomous flights if you add on an external GPS unit, pretty cool! You can see all the specs and details on the Kakute F7 HDV Here

DJI FPV

In my opinion, this is gaming changing for FPV. Sure it's not perfect, but OMG it works and it works well. I don't think I will ever want to go back to analog FPV. Once you experience this, it changes everything. All of a sudden, you can see the leafless ghost tree branches and where you are going in amazing detail. This review isn't about the DJI FPV system itself, but man it's the only thing I want to fly for FPV now and is a large part of why I was interested in the Kopis Cinewhoop.

Assembly

There isn't anything to assemble with this one, but you do have to do some work before flying. You'll first need to connect each DJI device to the Assistant 2 software, available from DJI, and update/activate them. That means the air unit, transmitter and goggles. Once each device is updated and activated, you then need to bind the radio and goggles to the air unit. These are simple processes and should only take about half an hour or so depending on your internet connection speeds for the updates.

Once that is done, you'll need to connect the FC to your computer and check a couple of settings in Betaflight. You need to assign an arming switch and can activate any modes you want to use. The tune is already done, but you can adjust as needed. With that, you are ready to charge up some batteries go flying. Speaking of batteries, I'm using a mix 4S 1350's up to 4S 1800's, but you can fit even larger packs if needed.

Flying

The Kopis Cinewhoop has been flying great for me. You have to understand what it is and what it isn't. It's not a race drone, but you can race with it. It's not a hardcore freestyle quad, but you can freestyle with it. It's not a long range cruiser, but you can do that too. It is really designed to fly smooth and stable for capturing unique aerial video in spaces no other drone is capable of, hence the name Cinewhoop.

This is what the Kopis Cinewhoop was designed for. It can have speed and acro included, but flying a cinewhoop is really all about being smooth. It's about getting a cinematic look and feel to your footage. The Kopis Cinewhoop handles very nicely in this respect. The controls on the DJI remote feel great and you can fly as smooth as your thumbs will let you. I still need some work in this area, but you can see some examples in the videos below. Certainly the GoPro stabilization features play a big role here in pulling it off. Frankly, as good as the DJI HD on board footage looks, it still doesn't compare to the quality of a GoPro so if you plan on getting this for cinematic style filming, you are going to want a GoPro. The good news here is it handles the weight well. I was able to fly it with the GoPro Hero 8 and the GoPro Max 360 cam both just using a sticky mount. Flying on a 4S 1350mAh I was able to get 3 minutes of flight time. while carrying a GoPro.

Acro

Yes the Kopis Cinewhoop is capable of acro. Just keep in mind it's not made to be a mind bending freestyle champion. It's agile and fun to flip, roll and dive, but it's not going to keep up with dedicated high power acro builds. I can certainly improve on my acro skills, but here's some footage of me playing around.

Kopis Cinewhoop Acro (2 min 38 sec)

Indoors

Yes, it's small enough to fly indoors too. It's much louder than your standard tinywhoop class drone so keep that in mind. I was able to fly around my house and under the coffee table just fine. Here's some example footage of indoor flying.

Flight Times

Using a 4S 1800mAH I can get a little over 5 minutes and you could even carry larger packs likely up to 2500mAH for even more time. Once you add a GoPro, room for batteries becomes tight, but a 4S 1350mAH fits great and gives you a solid 3 minutes of filming.

Durability

I've had a few crashes during my evaluation process and the only thing I've managed to break is a couple of the 3D printed ducts. I have a couple of printers so it was no big deal to make new parts and swap them out. Holybro provides the STL files for all the 3D printed parts which is awesome! I love that I don't have to go buy replacement parts and can just make them at home. I believe the ducts will be the most common part to break so if you don't have a 3D printer, you should consider getting one or buying some spare ducts with your order.

Final Thoughts

I'm really impressed with the Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop. It's a quality built drone frame that comes with top of the line gear and is very capable for a wide range of uses. If you want to capture cinematic GoPro footage, it excels at that. If you want to learn how to fly FPV drones, you can do that. If you want to try some freestyle, you can do that. If you want to go long range cruising, you can do that. If you want to try racing, you can do that. If you want to fly indoors, you can do that. While there might be better drones for some of those specific activities, I love that you have the ability to play around with it however you want. The DJI FPV system has changed my world and this is one of the best cinewhoop drones available that is built around it. You really can't go wrong here.

Links

You can find the Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop drone here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Jan 01, 2020, 12:35 PM
Out of curiosity, why is this review a "sticky" topic? There doesn't seem to be any reason for this to be a sticky in the Multirotor Drone Talk hierarchy
Jan 01, 2020, 12:48 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I sticky my reviews for two weeks as they are featured content.
Jan 02, 2020, 11:12 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Anyone else flying one of these yet?
Jan 02, 2020, 03:46 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Anyone else flying one of these yet?

I hope to, someday, but not sure at this moment.

Btw, the HD Kakute F7 should support iNAV as of version V2.3, for people who use that firmware.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jan 06, 2020, 12:38 PM
Flight for life
Hey who will pay over 500 US for not even 4 minutes of very slow flying in order to get a HD feeling or video.
I am like Soloprofan .
If I get one for free .
I will say like you Jason , that this is a great quad with a fabulous package .
Also it has to be registered in North America since the weight is over 250 grams.
And in Europe since it has a camera.
Last edited by geotric; Jan 08, 2020 at 08:28 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 06:11 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Just ordered mine.
Jason, I hope it's everything it's cracked up to be!
Jan 15, 2020, 06:30 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Let us know when you get it.
Jan 21, 2020, 04:12 PM
Whoop Whoop!
I just received my new Holybro Kopis Cinewhoop with the new DJI Air unit.
Lucky for me I placed my order for this the day before everyone went on vacation for CNY.

This is my first real FPV quad.
My last quad was a Blade Nano Qx and I've never owned an FPV system, much less set one up.
Jason Cole's review sold me.
I've been waiting for something like this to come along that is pretty much ready to fly out of the box, is pre-tuned for performance, small enough/affordable enough and now that DJI has digital goggles, I'm super psyched!

Let it be known, I have only a vague idea what my next step is...
Yes, I need to order the DJI digital goggles,
I think I need to order a Rx for my FrSky QX7... not sure which one.
I need to order some extra props, prop guards and batteries
But beyond that I'm open to suggestions.
Lots of research is commencing!

Even Bruce gives this Kopis Cinewhoop a thumbs up!
Review: Holybro Kopis CineWhoop (19 min 21 sec)
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jan 21, 2020 at 04:18 PM.
Jan 21, 2020, 04:39 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice! You’ll love it. Get ready for some fun!!
Jan 21, 2020, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Nice! You’ll love it. Get ready for some fun!!
Any advice re what to get next apart from the goggles?
Receiver? which one?
I would love a watch comprehensive tutorial about how to set this puppy up with a Taranis.
Jan 21, 2020, 05:01 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Batteries for the drone and goggles. Not sure on the receiver as I’m using the DJI remote with mine.
Jan 21, 2020, 09:05 PM
Looks like kakute F7 is designed to only go with the DJI Tx.
One more thing to add to the cart.

That's alright. One day I'll be getting the Mavic Mini and I'll be set.
Jan 21, 2020, 09:25 PM
mdv
mdv
I am using a Frsky R-XSR in mine. I have only hovered around the patio so far.
Jan 22, 2020, 12:55 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
Looks like kakute F7 is designed to only go with the DJI Tx.
One more thing to add to the cart.

That's alright. One day I'll be getting the Mavic Mini and I'll be set.

The Kakute F7 HDV can plug right into the DJI Air Unit, but also has plenty of free UART to connect a seperate receiver. I am using the same board with R-XSR, just like mdv reported. Works totally fine.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply