This thread is privately moderated by GRW3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 26, 2019, 01:01 AM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Discussion

Well Loved But Worn Our - EFlite Sport Cub.

After a decade or so of marginal participation, I decided to get my flying skills back. From reviews and comments, I settled on an EFlite Sport Cub. April 2015. I flew that plane in all conditions. Hot. Cold. Facing crosswind. Tailing crosswind. Reverse pattern wind. Even too much wind. I flew pretty much every weekend I was home and it wasnít raining or worse.

Besides dealing with air conditions, I did a lot of very basic practice. Clean patterns, smooth circles and and figure eights. Lots of touch and goes in both directions. As the routine came to hand, I started pushing the limits. Lots of low flying and aerobatics. Lots of high alpha flying. This high risk flying came with a lot of impacts and smacks. Most were just bent gear but some required repair. In the four plus years I flew this plane I had to glue the tail on twice (only one my fault) make special repairs to the wing to deal with broken mounts. I replace the tailwheel twice and the main gear wires once.

Even though I have several other planes, the Sport Cub became something of a touchstone. I tended to start any flying session with at least one Sport Cub flight. Week after week. Month after month. Year after year. The constant flying and risky behavior took its toll but paid big dividends in my flying confidence. It made four years this spring but the end was near. I wanted another one, so I checked the usual places but I didnít find any. Then a buddy who had one indicated he much preferred his Timber to his Sport Cub. I made an offer and it was accepted.

This summer, the first Sport Cub had its last incident. The rudder was fragile from multiple incidents and a a post flight off runway excursion ripped it off. Short of major surgery, it wasnít repairable. So, I switched to the newer plane.

In a lot of ways, itís business as usual. This plane does have the flap option I didnít install on the first one. Therefore, Iím using it to learn about how it all interacts. Not my first flap plane but the study is new.

Iíve borrowed a couple of items from the old plane as they were needed. Now, however, itís time to part it out

Itís made me a much better pilot. Iím a builder and, as I tell other builders, These foamies are excellent for keeping your flying skills intact and avoiding rushing a build. With my skills intact, Iím not nervous when I fly a new build.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply