Dec 24, 2019, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Review of Ron Chernich's MEN site (Model Engine News)

Guys,

We have this magnificent site that Ron developed and left to us. The site continues with the ongoing sponsorship of some of our old model aircraft engine people. I am not sure who these are and maybe they would like to put their hand up so that we know who to thank.

Ron was one of the MOTOR BOYS - a dedicated group of like minded model engine enthusiasts and builders around the world who bounced ideas off each other and who participated in group builds. They were also mainly responsible for the wonderful plan-sets of engines that the site holds and other engine plan-sets which you had access to if you became a member of the site.

The MOTOR BOYS are - Gordon Burford (Aus) - Ron Chernich (Aus) - Tim Daniels (USA) - David Owen (Aus) - Randy Ryan (USA) - Les Stone (USA) - Vincent Chair (Aus) - Ken Croft (Eng) - Eric Offen (Eng) - Stan Pilgrim (Aus) - Roger Schroader (USA) - Bert Striegler (USA) George Aldrich (USA) - Don McClusky (USA) ..... sadly some of them are no longer with us. Ron himself passed away some 5 or so years ago.

Just a thought .......... how about we try to review one edition (Month) per week starting with Ron's first. Anyone a member of RCGroups can chip in with comments relevant to that month - then the next week we go to the next month etc .. so in a year we cover the first 4 and a bit years.

Would appreciate some comment and if favorable then let's start January 1, 2020 with Ron's first edition which was June 2002 found at http://www.modelenginenews.org/index.html
Last edited by edholly; Jan 13, 2020 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2020, 03:35 AM
Thread OP

MEN Site July 2002 .... no ... October 2002

Well as promised here is the first review week of Ron's wonderful website kept alive by ...I am not sure ... please tell us.

My hope is that this month's edition gets read by anyone interested and they too make comments. I will initiate the next review on November 2002 next Wednesday ... if I don't hopefully someone else will ...

Righto here we go .... First I read right through the June 2002 edition ready to review it here - only to realize that it was June 2003 - so the first appearing newsletter is in fact in the wrong position and this appears to be the case right through until September. It appears the October 2002 issue is the first to be listed on the site. Maybe there were earlier editions that are not there now or maybe the originals are lost through a sort of typo with dates ?

GO TO .... http://www.modelenginenews.org/ then 2002 then October to view it.

These are the discussions

The Chenery Gnome Rotary Engine
appears to be an engine made from Model Engineer plans Ron appears less than complimentary about some of the methods used, but liked the end result.

Box Steady
I think is a chuck that can be used for production work that can supplement a lathe's ordinary chuck ?

Ready, Fire, Aim, and the Saito FS-80T
I love this article in which Ron realities he has made a huge error in describing the engine as a twin opposed cylinder when in fact it has a common crankpin and is alternate firing. He describes it as a 2 cylinder radial ! ... Love it.!
Jan 01, 2020, 05:28 PM
Was a wonderful site full of so much information.
Ron back in the day flew Free Flight with us in Queensland, always being a threat in F1A and F1G.
He also was first I saw fly a Veron Lavochkin with Cox reed power, a Korda Wakefield and regularly threw away his Senator's has he often said.
He was a great loss to us.
Jan 08, 2020, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Looking at the next month, November 2002, Ron has a few gems for us.

A mention of the mighty R2800 Pratt and Whitney radial and a 720 page book written on it. Reckon by the time you had absorbed that then you could just about service one !! Not to be missed here is a link to Phil Coleman's homepage which is still active. A quick look there shows Phil as a dedicated model engineer and amateur clock maker.

Next Ron describes ET Westbury's ideas of a single crankpin flat twin. Quite interesting the way ET Westbury commends what most would consider a "cheap" way of making one of these. Ron goes on to say he was friends with Bowden, Whittle and Shaw, Shaw he says was Lawrence of Arabia, not sure if that was correct so Googled Lawrence and Shaw sure enough was one of his alias's.

Next he speaks of Ken Croft's visit to the Midland Model Engineering show and talks about an odd little prototype as though there was a photo of it. So maybe some photos have dropped out of the site ?

Finally, Ron mentions Ken-ichi Tsuzuki in Japan. buying a Weaver casting and making it into a very nice engine.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:53 PM
Gas, Glow, Diesel & Kero!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Guys,

We have this magnificent site that Ron developed and left to us. The site continues with the ongoing sponsorship of some of our old model aircraft engine people. I am not sure who these are and maybe they would like to put their hand up so that we know who to thank.

Ron was one of the MOTOR BOYS - a dedicated group of like minded model engine enthusiasts and builders around the world who bounced ideas off each other and who participated in group builds. They were also mainly responsible for the wonderful plan-sets of engines that the site holds and other engine plan-sets which you had access to if you became a member of the site.

The MOTOR BOYS are - Gordon Burford (Aus) - Ron Chernich (Aus) - Tim Daniels (USA) - David Owen (Aus) - Randy Ryan (USA) - Les Stone (USA) - Vincent Chair (Aus) - Ken Croft (Eng) - Eric Offen (Eng) - Stan Pilgrim (Aus) - Roger Schroader (USA) - Bert Striegler (USA) sadly some of them are no longer with us. Ron himself passed away some 5 or so years ago.

Just a thought .......... how about we try to review one edition (Month) per week starting with Ron's first. Anyone a member of RCGroups can chip in with comments relevant to that month - then the next week we go to the next month etc .. so in a year we cover the first 4 and a bit years.

Would appreciate some comment and if favorable then let's start January 1, 2020 with Ron's first edition which was June 2002 found at http://www.modelenginenews.org/index.html
One of the original Motor Boys you forgot to mention was George Aldrich...
Jan 12, 2020, 10:33 AM
Ah, how did that happen?
Just a slip, I guess.
But then George Aldrich hardly needs a mention in the dispatches to be remembered...
Jan 12, 2020, 02:06 PM
and Clarence lee!!
Jan 12, 2020, 03:38 PM
///////
Quote:
Originally Posted by uram
and Clarence lee!!
He isn't one of the "Motor Boys International":
http://www.modelenginenews.org/mbi/index.html
Last edited by coriolan; Jan 12, 2020 at 03:44 PM.
Jan 13, 2020, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Guys,

Thanks for the heads up with George - see now why l missed him ... and ... Don McClusky, they both have a separate dedication at the bottom of the list l was looking at and missed them. Have added them to the list on the first post now.

And thanks for the link coriolan.

The story about George can be found at. https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/...ichGeorgeM.pdf
Jan 15, 2020, 01:10 AM
Thread OP

December 2002

Ron starts off with some chat about making metal tanks for a Brown Model B. He says metal spinning is easy, fast and fun. MMM that’s not been my experience !

Then onto Magazines .. talks about the journal that the Aircraft Engine Historical Society publishes – Googled them and wow what a wealth of information there is on this site, and that link from 18 years ago … all the wonderful BIG engines that were the power source for so many classic aircraft. see https://www.enginehistory.org/

Then a mention of Sparey or LHS as he refers to him. Seems LHS was testing engines in his own backyard often at night and that got up the neighbors nose and the council got involved – maybe the first “Noise Complaint” from the early 50’s ! He also reports on his passing in 1986 at the age of 86.

Next a mention of steam, for which Ron had no great affinity apparently.

Then a mention of the Belmont G9 as a new Motor Boys Plan and build … and the inbuilt problems the original had which were corrected by the “Boys” – see http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardf...lmont_imp.html

Finally a mention of SPEED - Society of Persons Encouraging Engine Development" based in Adelaide – but can find no mention now on Google.

So if you get a chance have a look at Ron’s site for December 2002 … http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Quick Reply