Dec 24, 2019, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Mine too
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2019, 03:47 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
holy nance.
a few off-topic posts don't get a thread moved. (unless being off-topic is the intent of the OP)

jeeze.- learn the rulez/lay of the land!
its not hard. read/head forum descriptions AND rules.

build a bridge, get over it.
Last edited by xanuser; Dec 25, 2019 at 03:59 AM.
Dec 26, 2019, 07:21 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
I know that some other forums I frequent do need more than one report. no clue about RCG.

its pretty easy to avoid getting moved:
just read the full forum description out loud a few times and ask yourself if it fits or not/ if you're still not sure check one of the lists of threads that were moved. (links in post above.)

im not sure why everyone gets all riled up about having a thread moved to a more proper spot. learn and move on.
The continuing problem with that is some make up their own definition of "Advocacy".....
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Dec 26, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
The continuing problem with that is some make up their own definition of "Advocacy".....
MAaDA forum users -- Discuss concerns re on-topic/ off-topic and other forum issues here rather than in the present thread -- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er-issues-here
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 26, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Dec 26, 2019, 11:55 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
The RCG moderation team clarified their definition of Advocacy as they wanted it to fit on RCG.
They chose the specific wording, and they did for a reason. Why that's SO hard for a few to accept/understand? I'll never know.

All this quibbling would be averted if rusty's forum suggestions for uSAS rules/reg had been adopted. (either time)
Last edited by xanuser; Dec 27, 2019 at 12:03 AM.
Dec 27, 2019, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
The RCG moderation team clarified their definition of Advocacy as they wanted it to fit on RCG.
They chose the specific wording, and they did for a reason. Why that's SO hard for a few to accept/understand? I'll never know.

All this quibbling would be averted if rusty's forum suggestions for uSAS rules/reg had been adopted. (either time)
MAaDA forum users -- Discuss concerns re on-topic/ off-topic and other forum issues here rather than in the present thread -- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er-issues-here
Dec 27, 2019, 11:09 AM
Thread OP

The four sites revealed

The four sites revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I have been told the names of the 4 sites. All 4 sites are straddling the border of the controlled airspace.

They are:
  • Brookfield in Clarence, New York, (is partially in Class C airspace)
  • Flying pilgrims in MI, (is in Class D controlled airspace)
  • Music City Aviators in Nashville, (is partially in Class C controlled airspace)
  • Brunnerville PA. ((is partially in Class D controlled airspace)
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 27, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
Dec 27, 2019, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I have been told the names of the 4 sites. All 4 sites are straddling the border of the controlled airspace.

They are:
  • Brookfield in Clarence, New York, (is partially in Class C airspace)
  • Flying pilgrims in MI, (is in Class D controlled airspace)
  • Music City Aviators in Nashville, (is partially in Class C controlled airspace)
  • Brunnerville PA. (is partially in Class D controlled airspace)
* By "partially" I suppose you mean the flying sites are in grid squares that straddle the edge of the controlled airspace. The flying sites themselves are entirely within the controlled airspace, except for the Brunnerville site which may be literally on the edge.

* All the sites are in grid squares with a 400' ceiling.

* The "Brunnerville R/C Flying Club" is just N of Lancaster PA, in the Class D controlled airspace of the Lancaster airport.

* Looks like neither the Brookfield site near Clarence NY nor the site near Brunnerville PA are currently shown as blue dots on the LAANC grid. Gives me hope that the site I'm currently flying at, which is not yet shown as a blue dot on the LAANC grid, may someday get our old 1000' ATC-agreed ceiling re-instated after all, maybe without first waiting to be put on the LAANC grid with a lower ceiling. We're in Class D airspace, in a grid square with a 400' ceiling.

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 28, 2019 at 09:25 AM.
Dec 28, 2019, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
* By "partially" I suppose you mean the flying sites are in grid squares that straddle the edge of the controlled airspace. The flying sites themselves are entirely within the controlled airspace.

* All the sites are in grid squares with a 400' ceiling.

* The "Brunnerville R/C Flying Club" is just N of Lancaster PA, in the controlled airspace of the Lancaster airport. The Lancaster airport actually has a Class E-to-surface (E2) circle, not a Class D circle.

* Looks like neither the Brookfield site near Clarence PA, nor the site near Brunnerville PA, are currently shown as blue dots on the LAANC grid. Gives me hope that the site I'm currently flying at, which is not yet shown as a blue dot on the LAANC grid, may someday get our old 1000' ATC-agreed ceiling re-instated after all, maybe without first waiting to be put on the LAANC grid with a lower ceiling. We're in Class D airspace, in a grid square with a 400' ceiling.

Steve
I used AirMap for determining the location of the fields in relationship to the controlled airspace. I also used AirMap to determine the airspace class.
Dec 28, 2019, 07:46 AM
Thread OP
Whoops, brain fart on my part about the airspace class at Lancaster. Not sure what happened there. It is Class D.

The Brunnerville site may indeed be literally on the edge of that Class D airspace. (How big a circle do sites get? Apparently a 660' radius. That circle may overlap that edge.)

Looks to me like the Music City Aviators site is about 0.2 miles inside of the edge of the controlled airspace. The Brookfield site is about 0.6 miles inside of the edge of the controlled airspace. The Flying Pilgrims site is about 1.5 miles inside of the edge of the controlled airspace.

(Determined from the LAANC map, after finding the actual location of the sites on google maps satellite view and noting their exact location relative to nearby roads etc. Coordinates submitted to KittyHawk, Airmap, etc may be a bit different.)

I thought it was interesting to find that the Music City Aviators site does not require AMA membership. I thought maybe the FAA would consider a site open to the general public to be inadequately controlled to entrust with flying higher than 400' in controlled airspace.

"Through a partnership with the Metropolitan Department of Parks and Recreation, the Music City Aviators maintain the airfield, facilities and amenities."

"PARK PERMIT:
A city issued permit is required to operate a model airplane at any of the Metro Park properties.

Part of the requirements to obtain a permit is to provide proof of public liability insurance in the amount of $300 thousand (AMA membership card, homeowners' insurance, etc. are acceptable forms of proof)."

Jeez, with all this Remote ID stuff coming at us ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-nprm-released ), it hardly seems worth bothering about raising the ceiling of established fields-- but if established fields end up being the only places we can fly without fooling around with the Remote ID equipment-- maybe that makes it more important than ever to get these places recognized, with reasonable ceilings.

I also hope we start hearing something concrete about being able to fly above 400' in Class G-- but I'm not holding my breath--

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 28, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Dec 28, 2019, 08:58 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Whoops, brain fart on my part about the airspace class at Lancaster. Not sure what happened there. It is Class D.

Looks to me like the Music City Aviators site is about .2 miles inside of the edge of the controlled airspace--

I thought it was interesting to find that the Music City Aviators site does not require AMA membership. I thought maybe the FAA would consider a site open to the general public to be inadequately controlled to entrust with flying higher than 400' in controlled airspace.

"Through a partnership with the Metropolitan Department of Parks and Recreation, the Music City Aviators maintain the airfield, facilities and amenities."

"PARK PERMIT:
A city issued permit is required to operate a model airplane at any of the Metro Park properties.

Part of the requirements to obtain a permit is to provide proof of public liability insurance in the amount of $300 thousand (AMA membership card, homeowners' insurance, etc. are acceptable forms of proof)."

Jeez, with all this Remote ID stuff coming at us ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-nprm-released ), it hardly seems worth bothering about raising the ceiling of established fields-- but if established fields end up being the only places we can fly without fooling around with the Remote ID equipment-- maybe that makes it more important than ever to get these places recognized, with reasonable ceilings.

I also hope we start hearing something concrete about being able to fly above 400' in Class G-- but I'm not holding my breath--

Steve
That would be nice but I'm not holding my breath either.

Mike
Dec 28, 2019, 01:17 PM
Quote:

The Brunnerville site may indeed be literally on the edge of that Class D airspace. (How big a circle do sites get? 600' radius?

Steve
A week or so ago I overlayed the map from AirMap on google earth and the number I came up with was 2000 feet. However at this point I don't recall if that was radius or diameter -- I'm thinking it was radius.
Dec 28, 2019, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
A week or so ago I overlayed the map from AirMap on google earth and the number I came up with was 2000 feet. However at this point I don't recall if that was radius or diameter -- I'm thinking it was radius.
Apparently it is a 660' radius-- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71&postcount=2
Dec 28, 2019, 05:57 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
As noted above, the current lateral limits of the "blue dot" sites is 660 feet. However, I have not heard of a single instance where this has been an issue for flying outside that radius.
Dec 28, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Ok, I was just trying to figure out which if any of the 4 sites were literally straddling the edge of the controlled airspace. Looks like maybe the Brunnerville site is.

Quick Reply