Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 19, 2005, 10:40 AM
Rave

looking to get into formula 1 pylon racing

i'm a total newb when it comes to pylon racing and i was hoping to get a forumla 1 to add to my hangar and i need a bunch of advice on which plane to get that's easy to fly and fast. i am a good pilot like almost pro so i can handle a pylon acer prolly. thanks, ryan
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2005, 01:59 PM
AKA Terry Till
First of all, Formula one racing no longer exists as an AMA racing class. I'm not even sure you could find a kit available, but try E-bay. Some one may be trying to get rid of one. I suspect you want to "wet" power it right? If so this question/thread would have to be moved. There are a number of pylon guys in Phoenix you could ask. I suggest you first join the NMPRA or go to www.nmpra.org

Terry
Mar 21, 2005, 09:22 PM
There are a few racers in the Surprise/Phoenix area that fly at the Speedworld club there. They fly Q40's and Q500's. Not many Formula planes around any more. That would be a good place to start. A quick search on Google should find there site. I've flow there a few times, and its a nice field with some real great people.
Mar 21, 2005, 09:45 PM
Yep. Formula 1's are from bygone days. Now we have the Q40's which are faster still.

To get started though. Try getting a Quickie 500. The Viper and the Predator are both excellent little birds. Cheap. And they hustle if you put the right motor on them. Theyll give you a great taste of pylon.

Really no need to start out with a composite Q40 and and a jett or nelson motor. The quickies (Q500) will give you the same thrill starting out. You can clip the wings and add more power if you aren't racing in a class. They will haul.

Have a blast, it is quite a great rush.

Mike
Mar 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
Ryan,

You need to make a trip out to the Speedworld Flying field (your lucky there is such a place so close to you!)and get with some of the racers there. http://www.speedworldrcf.com and see whats up.

Here are some pics of a club race:
http://www.speedworldrcf.com/day_at_...club_race.html