This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 21, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Volantex Decathlon

Things to complain about !

Parts kit :

The screws - Incomplete .. + not the right screws !

The Wheels : Seriously - so tiny ! I ordered some new wheels .

The Wing

I dont mind the single servo for Ailerons .. What I do mind is the Warping ..
Ailerons are quite visibly warped .. Bad ju ju !

Fuse

Nothing to complain about here ..

Tail assembly

PITA because of the wrong screws - The ones in the parts bag were useless . Had to go to my toolbox and find some screws .

Assembly

Other than the poorly sorted out parts ( screws ) missing screws , it's should be an easy assembly . Now all the review planes you see on Youtube come with decals installed . Yeah , not for this joe six pack .. So I just put on a few for the hell of it !

Set up

Charge up the 2s for the plane , pop in some 4xAA in the Tx .. Power up the Tx first and then the plane . I did this to get the servos centred and then connected the control surfaces . The Tx offers 2 rates with a switch . Hi and Lo ...
The motor / prop combo gives just about right on the money 1:1 power to weight .

Speaking of weight ..
Plane 257.5 grams
Battery 32.5 grams
Current to motor 8.4A + ( ESC is 10A )

Initial thoughts :

It's a bit heavy for a small plane , flying weight will be around 290 grams ...
Thrust looks to be good
What protocol does the 4ch Rx use ?
Swapping out the Rx will be easy , so if you want to go hobby grade . ( Normal servo plugs used )
CG supposedly 40mm from LE , mine is further back than that by at least 5mm ...
Landing gear too far back , might nose over .

Future Mods
1) Bigger Wheels , I ordered some 44mm
2) Bend the landing gear forward a little
3) Maybe bind or swap Rx so I can use a hobby grade Tx
4) Test protocols

It's windy , and it's going to be windy till after Christmas ( Xmas to some ) ..
So wont be doing a maiden for some time .
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply