Dec 19, 2019, 09:25 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Thread OP
Contest

Southwest Classic F5J 2020 - Stanfield Arizona

We are holding the 2nd annual Southwest Classic F5J at a turf farm in Stanfield AZ NW of Eloy February 22nd & 23rd.

Address: 31260 W Barnes Rd, Stanfield, AZ 85172

GPS Coordinates: 32.923963, -111.898380

Cost for the 2-day event is $60 payable using F3XVault, and includes lunch on Saturday and Sunday. You can also pay cash the morning of the event. If you decide to pay the morning of the event, PLEASE register anyway on F3XVault. Registration will close on Feb-19th.

Payment information, as well as hotel information is listed in the post below. The pilot's meeting will take place at 08:30 AM Saturday morning. We will fly as many rounds as possible Saturday and Sunday morning, and there will be a 3-round 15-minute window fly-off immediately afterward.

Contest Details

We will be adhering to standard F5J rules with the following modifications: You will be permitted to run Altis F5J firmware (does NOT allow motor restart) or run the standard Altis firmware in F5J mode (does allow motor restart). You must use standard firmware settings that mark the F5J launch height as "---" if a motor restart is detected.

All F5J launch heights must be verified on the Altis screen by the timer at the conclusion of each flight. F5J launch heights displaying "---" will receive a zero flight score. There are some cases where valid flights will display an Altis "---". If this happens we will allow verification of motor shutoff height using the Altis flight logs. This must be verified by someone at the scoring tent.

For information on Altis setup, see the manual:
http://www.aerobtec.com/download/AltisV4+manual_en.pdf

FAI F5J approved altimeter list:
http://www.f5j-usa.com/fai-f5j-altimeters/

FAI F5J 2020 rules:
http://www.f5j-usa.com/f5j-rules/
Last edited by RotorCycle; Dec 20, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2019, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Contest and Field Information

F3XVault signup: http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...&event_id=1750

Turf farm Google Maps coordinates:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...98108?hl=en-US

GPS Coordinates: 32.923963, -111.898380

Contest sound file broadcast: FM 97.10

NOAA weather and wind for field:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

There is dry camping allowed onsite. Reference the picture below for camping and parking areas. The field will be available starting on Friday February-21st.

Hotel Information

Google Stanfield hotel information

Google Casa Grande hotel information
Last edited by RotorCycle; Dec 19, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
Dec 19, 2019, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Pilot Roster
  1. John Armstrong
  2. Randy West
  3. Philip Brister
  4. Steven Willcox Jr.
  5. Steven Willcox
  6. Frank Campbell
  7. Bill Malvey
  8. Brad Juntunen
  9. Tim Johnson
  10. Skyler Raver
  11. Steve Owen
  12. Carl Thuesen
  13. Bob McGowan
  14. Chris Bajorek
  15. Ron Vlastelica
  16. Oleg Golovidov
Last edited by RotorCycle; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added Pilots
Dec 25, 2019, 02:31 PM
Team Futaba
Now that my life is sort of back to normal I am going to do my best to make this one!!
Dec 26, 2019, 05:37 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Signing up as a Volunteer again!

Bob Parks
Jan 03, 2020, 06:31 AM
Sonoran Laser Art

F3RES Interest Potential Friday

I Iain has asked me to offer up a little F3RES contest Friday afternoon say 12:00 to 2:00. I need to determine if there's enough interest to plan for such a thing or would everyone prefer to just tune their F5J ships. We would likely need at least 6 and preferably 9 or more for teams. Then I need to plan on bungees and scoring.

Please post ASAP if interested, I would like a couple weeks general idea to whether it's a go.
Jan 03, 2020, 11:27 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
I would be much more interested in your doing a Low Launch Challenge on Friday if you plan anything formal. That would give us some direct and fun practice with our F5J planes.

Thanks,
Chris
Jan 10, 2020, 02:38 PM
I just signed up . I will be flying in Thursday evening and plan to practice Friday. Like Chris, I'd prefer any Friday activity to be F5J related.

Bob
Jan 12, 2020, 03:50 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!

Woody class and F3Res

There will NOT be an F3Res event on Friday, as was previously posited.

There WILL be a WOODY CLASS, scored separately and flown within the main event.

Woody rules permits composite materials for fuselages, booms ,spars and local reinforcements, but the majority of the structure MUST be WOOD.

Iain C D.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:30 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Signed up!
Jan 14, 2020, 02:22 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Signed up!
Awesome Oleg
Jan 16, 2020, 11:57 PM
When planning our airline flights, what is the earliest flight out of Phoenix you would recommend on Sunday following the contest? Not sure what time you anticipate wrapping up the event and awards presentation.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:09 AM
Bob,

We typically wrap up awards around 3pm on Sunday. It is about an hour drive to the Phoenix airport from the contest site.

-Randy
Jan 17, 2020, 12:01 PM
Thanks Randy! Our flight home is at 6:35pm Sunday so it sounds like we are in good shape. Could probably leave the field as late as 4 and still make it, but I like the sounds of everything wrapping up around 3 so we don't have to feel rushed.

The Hotels my buddies have stayed at in the past are double their normal price. Maybe baseball spring training? We found a pretty good rate (about $70/night) at the Motel 6 Casa Grande and the NorCal contingent has decided to stay there. Others should join us and we'll have a pool party.

This is my first time back to AZ since I lost a new Xplorer that landed slightly off field, never to be seen again. Strange. I still wonder where it ended up.

Bob
Jan 17, 2020, 01:07 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Also staying @ Motel 6/Eloy. Slightly nervous about it (never stayed there) but as Bob said prices at motels in Casa Grande and home rentals in Maricopa are jacked up unlike last year on this same weekend.

Will be arriving mid day Thurs & plan to practice at the "western field."

Chris

Quick Reply