Jan 02, 2020, 01:00 PM
Always Ready!
You could go the DIY route for tundra tires:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...dra-Tires-v0-5
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 03:56 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thanks warhead_71, that is a very interesting thread.
Jan 03, 2020, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
You could go the DIY route for tundra tires:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...dra-Tires-v0-5
Very cool! The creativity in this hobby is just amazing.
Jan 03, 2020, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
I promised some photos earlier, but only have this one of the rebuilt landing gear on my phone at the moment. It's light, strong, yet flexible enough to withstand some punishment. I know these are usually painted Cub yellow, but I found some photos of a full size Cub with the gear painted black and liked the look. Plus, I had some flat black spray paint that needed to be used up. I'll get some more photos of the fuselage and wing up this weekend. Currently I'm refinishing the mounting brackets that attach the gear to the fuselage, and will be looking forward to getting the Cub resting on its gear again instead of on the floor.

And thank you all for the interest shown in this project. I'm amazed at the wide variety of power systems used on this model, from 3S to 5S. I'm starting to lean towards the 3S setup as I'm looking for scale performance and long flights.
Jan 04, 2020, 11:43 PM

"Bungee" Landing Gear

Looking at your photo, my current gear has hooks where the dummy bungees are. I wrap Dritz brand elastic cord, from JoAnns sewing and craft store , around the hooks, which gives gear some bungee action and keeps the gear from bending outward in rough landings. I just CYA glue and overlap the end joints, it holds well. I previously used E-Flite Super Cub bungee gear but it was heavy and fiddly. My Cub has a functional side door and window for battery change access, held shut by magnets. I change batteries on a picnic table, I dislike inverting a large model to change batteries.
Jan 05, 2020, 07:51 AM
I bought a set of Robarts for my 1/5 Cub and the O rings used for bungees dried out to the point where they fell off. I replaced them with little cloth covered hair ties. Works perfectly. A friend of mine used springs for the 1/4 scale version.
The rubber O rings that comes with these are useless.
Jan 06, 2020, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
At first I wasn't sure if this formed wire landing gear would have much "give" to it, but it should cushion a rough landing pretty well. The bottom wire (where the fake "shock absorbers" are) acts like a spring and can flex quite a bit. I'm pretty sure the formed wire would bend before the solder joints broke apart. I'm a little spoiled by the fact that our club's grass runway is nicer than some golf course fairways I've played on!
Jan 13, 2020, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
Last night I ordered servos, wheels (1/5 Dubro Cub main wheels and a Sullivan 1" tail wheel), clevises, wheel collars, clear plastic for the windows, canopy glue, a covering iron/heat gun combo package, and CA from Tower. That will be enough to keep me going for a while. And long overdue, a photo of my progress so far.
Jan 13, 2020, 05:15 PM
Build more, websurf less
One of the things I love about the Sig 1/6th Cub are the scale-sized uprights in the cockpit area.

The Sig Cub uses those two wires to hold the wing, so it does not have to put giant beams all around the cabin like the ARFs do.
Jan 14, 2020, 12:07 PM
Agree about the scale-like window framing. Getting the front heavy-gage wire formed properly to support the wing was a little difficult as I recall. Basswood is better than balsa for window frames and adding small triangular braces in the corners helps strengthen the joints. If you want really scale-like dummy engine cylinders, the Top Notch 1/6 scale kit is great. A small Goldberg sprung tail-wheel assembly, or similar , is preferable to the simple wire tail wheel leg that will bend and eventually break off with tweaking. The Sig 1/6 J-3 kit has been around so long, it's a wonder that it is still available including the "clip-wing" version and clip-wing kit. If you tend to "over-think" and stall during a complex build, recommend you build a simpler kit, finish it , and enjoy flying it.
Jan 14, 2020, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Sig really did a nice job on the windshield/uprights. Compared to some other versions I've seen, it is very realistic. It seems like the original builder of my plane did a nice job with it too, as the wing fits nicely in this area. E-Challenged, the idea about triangular supports in the corners is excellent! I will definitely do that on this plane, because it seems like that area could use a little reinforcement. Also, I just found some 1/16 balsa sheets that I had tucked away, so I may scratch build some dummy engine cylinders. Since I'm not the original builder of this plane, I have to add a custom touch somewhere. Next up I'll be building the servo mount/receiver deck and the battery tray, so they'll be ready to install when the servos and clevises arrive.

I'm also going to go with the power system that E-Challenged is using. I want to keep it light and at 580 grams, my 4S 5000 MAH packs are pretty heavy.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:53 AM
Hi fo88gt,

Say hello to Carl Bachuber, (sp?) if you see him. ( Famous B-36 etc scale model builder) BTW, I was born in Stevens Point in 1939, haven't been back since 2005 Oshkosh Airventure. BTW, the current Sig Cub design dates back to the 40's (?) was kitted by Berkeley, Fox, and later by Sig. Some were flown free-flight, control line, rudder-only RC and finally 4-channel RC with IC engines and for quite some time by electric power. You can try flying it using only rudder and throttle once you have it trimmed out for hands-off level flight.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Hi fo88gt,

Say hello to Carl Bachuber, (sp?) if you see him. ( Famous B-36 etc scale model builder) BTW, I was born in Stevens Point in 1939, haven't been back since 2005 Oshkosh Airventure. BTW, the current Sig Cub design dates back to the 40's (?) was kitted by Berkeley, Fox, and later by Sig. Some were flown free-flight, control line, rudder-only RC and finally 4-channel RC with IC engines and for quite some time by electric power. You can try flying it using only rudder and throttle once you have it trimmed out for hands-off level flight.
Small world! If I see Carl I will certainly tell him that you say hello. His B-36 (and all of his other planes) are works of art.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:20 PM
I haven't met Carl directly but have exchanged some congratulatory e-mail with him. Talk about master model builders!!. Has a great website, worth a visit.

http://carlb-rcplanes.com/
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Jan 27, 2020, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Long overdue progress update....progress is slow due to work, family, snow, snowblower repairs, home repairs/improvements....excuses, excuses.

My first attempt at Monokote covering on the landing gear fairings. I'm happy with how they turned out for a first try. Covering is fun to work with! So those are done and mounted on the gear.

Quick Reply