Jan 04, 2020, 10:51 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Are you saying you couldn't get to 25%...or 25% isn't far enough fwd?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 11:28 PM
flyin' fool
Yup. Had to add a lot of lead to get it 'comfortable' and still not near the 25% mark.

Strange?? With my 16" PiR2 I had no CG issues with getting 25% with the gear I had.
Jan 05, 2020, 03:55 AM
A 1" nose extension plus all the gear in front of the COG did the job on mine.. the lipo now sits almost on the COG..
Jan 05, 2020, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Yup. Had to add a lot of lead to get it 'comfortable' and still not near the 25% mark.

Strange?? With my 16" PiR2 I had no CG issues with getting 25% with the gear I had.
Getting to the magic 25% cog can be a bit of a challenge. I am a notoriously fanatic about building light and I too was bummed to have to add weight after working hard to keep it light. It still flies awesome though.
Jan 05, 2020, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
I was able to make it to the local indoor soccer complex again this past Friday and this time there were about 20 or so flyers in attendance. Lots of Quasars were buzzing around and when I pulled the Disco out and put a flight on it I had to spend the next 20 minutes answering questions about it. Lots of guys wanted to know where to get one so I told them to get hold of Greg at WMPF and push him to produce a foam only kit. Apparently there are more flyers in the area who like aircraft with different shapes.
Jan 05, 2020, 12:23 PM
flyin' fool
Mine would end up looking kind of like this ……………………….
Jan 06, 2020, 03:18 AM
If you draw up the fuz accurately I will make pdfs for printing stencils..
Using a stencil makes cutting the fuz easy, its the only shape that matters ...
The wing is just a circle.. A pdf can be printed to achieve whatever size needed by using the scale function in adobe..
You scale the fuz to the size of the circle..

kits are unnecessary for such a simple design.... same for your quasars... unless of course you cant get any sheets of EPP

Here are the PDF's I used for the fuz shape... I will replace them if you put up the corrected shape you've used..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 06, 2020 at 03:48 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
When I was discussing the Disco with the guys at the indoor I explained how easy it was to build and that the fuselage shape wasn’t too critical. A few guys took measurements and pictures but most said they would bug Greg to cut kits.

I always make poster board templates to cut foam and I even made one for the circle wing on the disco. I enjoy scratch building with foam but I understand that not everyone has the time or patience. Another benefit of scratch building is the opportunity to customize and revise as you desire.

I’ll try and sketch something on some graph paper and post it here later this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
If you draw up the fuz accurately I will make pdfs for printing stencils..
Using a stencil makes cutting the fuz easy, its the only shape that matters ...
The wing is just a circle.. A pdf can be printed to achieve whatever size needed by using the scale function in adobe..
You scale the fuz to the size of the circle..

kits are unnecessary for such a simple design.... same for your quasars... unless of course you cant get any sheets of EPP

Here are the PDF's I used for the fuz shape... I will replace them if you put up the corrected shape you've used..
Jan 06, 2020, 10:28 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap

Bingo. Foam-only kits are so cheap and shipping foam sheets is so expensive it makes for a clear choice for me. That, plus I'm lazy.
Jan 06, 2020, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Bingo. Foam-only kits are so cheap and shipping foam sheets is so expensive it makes for a clear choice for me. That, plus I'm lazy.
Yes, definitely for some getting raw sheets of foam can be a challenge. I'm pretty spoiled having Greg here local and able to pick up sheets of foam whenever I need some. Foam only kits just take out one of the steps as they will still need to be painted, etc.
Jan 07, 2020, 12:20 AM
yes, Painting and fitting gear can take a while...
It takes me most of a day to cut, make and finish off a model, but thats not a problem, being well retired I do have the time..
At our club the majority wont make/cut their own, so for friends Ive made a few, but some people begrudge paying even for the cost of the materials .. so requests now are refused.. Yet the same people will pay out a lot more for a kit, which still has to be put together etc..
People baffle me,

paints .. these work fine on EPP.. I think they are acrylic water based..
the only downside is they take a few hours to dry .. however they are cheap.. £1 for the standard colours and £3 for the neon colours..
After a lot of handling and/or bashing they do wear off a bit, but can easily be touched up..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 07, 2020 at 12:51 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 04:53 AM
flyin' fool
I stopped hot wire cutting wing blanks for others because of the same response. If fact, I scrapped my cutter altogether and now only have a sheet slicer. I also refuse to build, make kits or repair stuff for others too. You just end up without a hobby and too many head aches.

Besides, we recently sold our home and downsized everything, including my shop space and my hobby stash.
Jan 09, 2020, 07:01 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We even sent out whole planes and far few even compensated us for the postage . We had the whole gravity core /sheet/slot cutter , etc . We ( Fudpilot and I ) cut many cores , but it was a losing business overall , and when “ sheet Foamies" appeared ( here ) well, the heck with core cutting …
Long ago we decided to just ENJOY the hobby and NOT try to make Money from it , which always makes a Great Hobby into WORK !!! Most of my planes I gave away to my friends , planes featured here… I still have more to give away …

50 years as a professional Artist this year , I do still take “commissions" , but DO require a 50% deposit …. that’s the way it’s become …
Last edited by gpw; Jan 09, 2020 at 07:12 AM.
Jan 09, 2020, 05:08 PM
flyin' fool
Back in the days of flying crunchies, I refused to do a repair to a big 4S powered bird because the craftsmanship was sub par to start with, even though the owner would pay me whatever I wanted. The reason was strictly due to liabilities!! If he had of crashed it into someone he could say that I was the last one to work on it.

I love the foamie crowd, because now all I do is lend out my 12V hot glue gun.
Jan 10, 2020, 01:34 AM
Both discos fly well.. the 18" has a sharper, more fun, performance . The 18" is my preferred version..
The only drawback on the 18" was no U/C so Ive now added one...
and with overhead lighting the colour below didnt show much difference when I got inverted.., so Ive added some neon yellow

COG.. moved back for both discs.. from 25% back by about 3/4" on the 22.. this tightened the loops and made them roll better.
On the first flight with the 22" I had an extra 20gms at the front to get the 25% COG... this was later removed, pushing the COG back..

at the 22" size I still prefer your quasar 3D delta..

22"
forward and rearward COG positions
22 inch disco maiden flight (8 min 11 sec)

18"
18 inch disco maiden trimming flight (5 min 37 sec)

COG back a bit.. rolls more axial, loops tighter and hover and high alpha good
18 inch disco flight 2 (9 min 35 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jan 10, 2020 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply