Dec 31, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
The nose extension should allow you to use your smaller motor, battery and no ballast for less weight. Can anything be done with a foam change? Was looking at a picture of Twisted Hobby's indoor Clik and was amazed at how thin a foam it seems to use. Don't know if it's a stiffer foam or all just carbon magic.
One of the guys in our club has a TH Clik and the amount of carbon used is pretty crazy. I get it though as a more rigid airframe flies best. It will just float along so slow but it is rather delicate and in our "target rich" smaller gym with frequent mid-airs the owner will only fly it when he has exclusive use of the airspace. He even built a case to transport it as it would get damaged just trying to get it from the car to the building during our blustry winter weather. That's one of the reasons I like the Disco as it has minimal of carbon, can take a hit without damage and it builds quick. It took longer to paint it than to build it.

I'm also looking at building a small profile 3D plane for the SunnySky 2304. There are lots of good ideas here in the scratchbuilders forum. I intend to keep it simple and the stiffness of the EPP from WMPF will help reduce the carbon needed to produce a reasonably rigid airframe. I'll probably post it here in this forum as scratchbuilds don't get a second look in the 3D foamy forum. Nothing but store boughts up there.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2019, 01:16 PM
Thin EPP 5or6mm as used on crack yaks and multiplex models is great for flying, but no good in a bash and crash environment.. It rips too easily if you hit anything..
We have found the 7-8mm lasts much longer.. and is easy to repair... Its not too heavy...
We also have many bumps and mid air collisions.. its a good laugh..

New versions of old ideas.... and minor changes to anything can make a big difference.. Its just a matter of making and trying everything.. sometimes you luck onto a winner..
Ive built numerous deltas but the quasar is by far the best for our indoor crash and bash... I think the fuz is making the most difference, small changes to the wing haven't altered the way they fly... they are all great....

Similarly I have made lots of round wings.. Nutballs , Gymballs, UFO , PiYak.. and now I have these discos to try....
Last edited by davereap; Dec 31, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Dec 31, 2019, 01:39 PM
flyin' fool
Been bashing around thin (5 to7mm) EPP for years and have few issues. Although, I go over it with an iron. That melts all the fuzz and tempers it. You get a nice shiny finish for more strength without adding weight and it takes less paint.
Dec 31, 2019, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Been bashing around thin (5 to7mm) EPP for years and have few issues. Although, I go over it with an iron. That melts all the fuzz and tempers it. You get a nice shiny finish for more strength without adding weight and it takes less paint.
What does your better half say about you using her iron?

I'm fortunate as I get my EPP from Greg at wmparkflyers.com and he has been hotwiring his sheets of EPP. It seems the hotwiring also slightly melts the surface and I have noticed the EPP is definitely more rigid than the cut sheets. Another nice benefit is Greg can cut custom thicknesses. I've made a couple outdoor profile 3D foamies from 12mm thick EPP he cut for me and I'm thinking of having him cut me a few 15mm sheets.
Dec 31, 2019, 03:15 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Re: irons. Lee at CrashTest has been teaching us that cheapy clothes irons from WalMart, etc work better for laminating than hobby irons. My WM had a selection between $15 and $20.

The full size hold temperature better than mini travel irons. I always used to shave or sand the fuzz off new EPP. I'll try the searing thing next opportunity.
Jan 03, 2020, 05:10 PM
flyin' fool
This thread inspired me to do another mini ……………………..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=169
Jan 03, 2020, 05:26 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So have you round-plane guys come up with some slick way to cut out the circles? I've only drawn it and laboriously cut on the line. Bet there's a better way.
Jan 03, 2020, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
So have you round-plane guys come up with some slick way to cut out the circles? I've only drawn it and laboriously cut on the line. Bet there's a better way.
I made a template from poster board and then used an X-acto to cut it out. Im sure there are better ways too but this worked for me.
Jan 03, 2020, 11:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
This thread inspired me to do another mini ..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=169
Looks nice goldguy. Hopefully others will be inspired to join the fun also.
Jan 04, 2020, 09:54 AM
are you going to post plans or dimensions on the Disco?
Jan 04, 2020, 05:41 PM
flyin' fool
For cutting circles I make a 'protractor' with whatever I can find and draw the circle. I then cut by 'free hand' with a sharp blade.

The trick is to not look at the cutting blade, but down the road like driving your vehicle and turn the material your cutting as you progress.

Easy as Pi ……………..
Jan 04, 2020, 06:12 PM
flyin' fool
Let's be clear on this subject ..
Jan 04, 2020, 06:29 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
For cutting circles I make a 'protractor' with whatever I can find and draw the circle. I then cut by 'free hand' with a sharp blade.

The trick is to not look at the cutting blade, but down the road like driving your vehicle and turn the material your cutting as you progress.

Easy as Pi ..
That's kinda what I do. But I envisioned you guys might have a radius arm pinned at center and a #11 blade sticking down at the end. Or some other fancy thing.
Jan 04, 2020, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob s
are you going to post plans or dimensions on the Disco?
I believe Greg is going to post plans here soon.
Jan 04, 2020, 10:40 PM
flyin' fool
Just for the record, my factory Crack Yak and Crack Wing are in 8mm EPP.

The difference between a great flying model and a crappy one is usually the center of gravity, an issue I'm dealing with on my Mini PiYak. LAR's are notorious for this issue.

So, I'm going to have to replace the motor, ESC and maybe the battery. Grrrrrrr!!!!! I might as well have built the 18 incher to keep the loading down, which I plan to do.

Quick Reply