Dec 18, 2019, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pi-Plane Redux... "The Disco"

Hi Guys,

As they say what's old is new again. I just finished up a little project that presented itself because of the opportunity for my club to hold our winter meetings in a small gym. I was wanting something that was extremely maneuverable in tight quarters and remebering that I had made a pi-plane a few years ago and was impressed with it's capabilities. My original version, which I called the Disco, was something I threw together quickly just to try out the concept. Now I did not come up with the concept of a disc shaped plane as there are full scale examples scattered thru aviation history. Plus there are numerous threads which I used as guidance and inspiration for my own version. I gleaned most of my information from gpw's "USAF UFO" thread, aeronot's "PiYak" thread, sr71fan's "Itza UFO" and "Dark piplane" threads and even a little from goldguy's "Nutball" thread. All I did was expand on their projects and put my personal spin on it.

Pictured below is my Disco V2 which is made from 9mm EPP I obtained from wmparkflyers.com. The Disco has an 18" diameter and is powered by a SunnySky 2302-1650kv motor, Hobbywing 10a esc, a Lemon 6-channel receiver and three (3) 5 gram servos. I am using a Tattu 2s/300 pack for power. This was an extremely easy build and painting it took the most time. I did a quick maiden flight last evening in my basement and I hope to get some video very soon.

All in all a fun little project.
Last edited by r/cdawg; Dec 18, 2019 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2019, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
I have attached a few build pictures below and as you can see there is a minimal parts count. I am using a 3mm carbon tube for the spar and have inserted a 3mm x .5mm carbon flat 1/2" inset from the leading edge to help stiffen the front.
Dec 19, 2019, 05:35 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice !!! Looks like FUN !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 19, 2019, 03:15 PM
Flying Models for 57 years!
Nice Work, I love Round Wing RC Models Plans???
Dec 20, 2019, 07:11 AM
There is a plan already for this design, forgot the name off hand. Nutball or Quaser?
Dec 20, 2019, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Nice Work, I love Round Wing RC Models Plans???
Nothing formal yet just the templates I made to cut it out. It's a very simple concept and there are numerous variations of the disc/pi-plane in this forum. This is just my spin on it. If it flies decent, which it should based on my test flights in my basement, I could make some drawings available.
Dec 20, 2019, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brewer
There is a plan already for this design, forgot the name off hand. Nutball or Quaser?
This is actually a different design form both the Nutball and Quasar, The Nutball is a disc designed with polyhedral tips on the outer edges of the disc and is controlled by rudder, elevator and throttle. The Quasar is a delta planform using elevons, rudder and throttle.

This design is a flat disc with elevons, rudder and throttle control.
Dec 20, 2019, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Nice !!! Looks like FUN !!!
Isn't that what it's all about. Your USAF UFO thread was a lot of the original inspiration.
Dec 20, 2019, 11:16 AM
flyin' fool
It's basically a PiPlane, as in round, where to find the area you multiply Pi (3.1415) by the radius squared or round like an apple pie.

If you've never tried 'round', it's time to experience the difference. Over the years we've discussed the whys and wherefores as to why they are exceptional.

I think it's the dihedral effect of a round/swept LE. Maybe!
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 20, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Dec 20, 2019, 11:34 AM
flyin' fool
The 'rule of thumb' from 'way back when' states that 5 degrees of leading edge sweep is equal to one degree of dihedral.
Dec 21, 2019, 06:07 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
The reason why they surprisingly fly so stably …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 21, 2019, 08:27 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The 'rule of thumb' from 'way back when' states that 5 degrees of leading edge sweep is equal to one degree of dihedral.
I love learning something new (for me) everyday.
And also knowing that I can reporpuse those old vcr tapes is a bonus.
Dec 21, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
I love learning something new (for me) everyday.
And also knowing that I can reporpuse those old vcr tapes is a bonus.
Ha! I wondered if anyone would notice the VHS tapes. I’ve been using them for years and they are quite handy while building foamies. On smaller planes I have them with the longer edge horizontal as seen above. On bigger foamies where you need more clearance you stand them with the longer edge vertical as seen below.
Dec 21, 2019, 04:22 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Ha! I wondered if anyone would notice the VHS tapes. I’ve been using them for years and they are quite handy while building foamies. On smaller planes I have them with the longer edge horizontal as seen above. On bigger foamies where you need more clearance you stand them with the longer edge vertical as seen below.
I've been using cut 2X4 wood pieces, but I had to sand some of them down a little to match them to more precise sizes to each other. My old pile of VHS tapes would have been simpler to use, and a "tightish" fitting dowel rod between them through the winding holes would also keep them more sturdy when needed.
Dec 22, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
It’s looking like I am going to be flying indoors tomorrow morning so I will try and get some video of the Disco.

Quick Reply