May 28, 2020, 01:27 PM
B for Bruce
What was the maximum differential for throttles on the Canadair? 100% seems wildly too much to my thinking. Considering that for most uses rudder alone is more than enough I'd think that only 20 to 30% would be easily lots for any takeoff and inflight yawing mix.

EDITED- Ah, never mind. I was typing as you answered CB and all the answers and reasoning is in your post right above this one.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2020, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

It's not to be forgotten, either, that I'm a Numpty, and find out all these things several decades after everyone else (if at all...). I'm not sure that the Canadair has ever been flown with the 100% setting; I may test that in a day or so, just to see what happens. It may be more useful to switch between, say, 30% and 10%; I just don't know. These things are not mentioned on the plans I use..!
May 28, 2020, 03:31 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
I would imagine with 100% (i.e. one motor full throttle, one motor off) the results would be spectacular, albeit short lived! Either a sycamore style fast flat spin or, more likely with full prop blast over one wing and nothing over the other an uncontrollable roll into the ground. 30% down to 10% sounds much more likely to be close to right to me.

Re the gusty wind; the last ten days have been frustrating, it starts out calm at first light but by 8 am we have a 10 kph north easter (45 degrees across the Vayres runway) which builds up during the day to 20 kph gusts and does die away in the evening - but not until it is too dark to fly. All this, of course, is accompanied by wall to wall sunshine and mid twenties temperatures. Very consistent every day and very frustrating. Our meteo gives the same again tomorrow but Saturday and, particularly Sunday look possible, whilst Monday promises a calm evening. Unusual at this time of year to have almost two weeks of too much wind to make flying enjoyable and no calm evenings at all.
May 28, 2020, 04:01 PM
B for Bruce
Just in case it's worth the reminder.... you don't need to actually try to fly the model. You can just go into the programming setup for that model, assuming you still have it in the Tx you used, and read off the mix data?
May 28, 2020, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Oh, I can programme it, all right..! I set it up in the first place, for my sins..! Flying it (or trying to...) tells me whether what I've programmed allows the 'plane to survive or not. Normally, as in this case, I test stuff out with the rolling test. Once I'm as confident as I can be with how it's set up (which is usually 'not very'...), the 'plane has to take its chances in the air. Sometimes they come down safely. Sometimes.
May 28, 2020, 05:58 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Sometimes they come down safely. Sometimes.
Sounds like crazy talk to me!
May 28, 2020, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
May 28, 2020, 07:36 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
The Sky Van looks Sky Hungry, Douglas.... Great job on another complicated build.......

Best regards,

jeff
May 28, 2020, 07:37 PM
The effectiveness of differential thrust varies with flying speed; at higher speeds the effect is less. Full-size twins can usually sustain flight on one engine but have a critical speed below which single engine flight is impossible because the rudder can't resist the yaw. For that reason I would think (guess?) that in normal flight you would need all the differential you can get, but at low speeds it may be oversensitive. Since your main directional control will be ailerons perhaps it won't matter very much.

Nice model of a most unlikely subject.
May 29, 2020, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks folks. The true test, as with any pie, will be in the eating. I'll do a video when the day comes, certainly. It may, however, be of Short duration.

(Groans all round. )
May 29, 2020, 06:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
That's unfair Douglas, I have been carefully skirting around that pun since you started this build!
May 29, 2020, 06:34 AM
Thread OP
May 30, 2020, 01:20 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
That's unfair Douglas, I have been carefully skirting around that pun since you started this build!
I agree.... something that much of a groaner deserves some manner of penalty.... or a reward.... not sure which....
May 30, 2020, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
May 30, 2020, 04:45 PM
B for Bruce
It's always worth tuning in even if just to see the latest smilie you came up with...

Quick Reply