Apr 07, 2020, 02:10 PM
They call me Lipo...

At the field with the RCGeek and the E-flite EC-1500!

This is one sweet flying plane for sure!

That said, here's some light entertainment for y'all while you stay hunkered down during the COVID-19 pandemic...

This video was shot a couple of months ago in San Diego at the Miramar Radio Control Flyer's club...:
E-flite EC-1500 Twin 1.5m BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Select - At the field with the RC GEEK! (8 min 8 sec)

I sincerely hope everyone is staying healthy and safe...Wishing you all the best !
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2020, 01:39 PM

Differential starting of motors

Hey Jim, I have had a problem with my EC 1500. The right motor starts before the left! Of course, it pulls to the left of ground operations. I have replaced both ECS's and motors with new, but the problem persists. Is it possible there is a problem with the Flight Controller? I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks, GWax
May 17, 2020, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
I have never had this issue so I don't have a solution. I would contact Horizon support.
May 17, 2020, 04:50 PM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Google ESC calibration and follow the instructions.
Do one at a time and it should correct the problem.
May 17, 2020, 05:45 PM
Hi Rhea, thanks. I'll try that.
May 23, 2020, 02:22 PM
Rhea, I've read 40-amp ESC instructions for programming, but I am not sure what part of the instructions could solve differential starting of the motors. Menu 3 involves Timing, and #4 is throttle input range. Which would I be looking for to balance the starting of the twin motors on the EC-1500 Twin? Thanks, GWax
May 23, 2020, 02:47 PM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Did you Google ESC Calibration?

You will want to do it for each ESC, one at a time.
Disconnect one and calibrate then swap the connection and do the other.
May 26, 2020, 09:45 AM
Hi Rhea, Yes, I internet searched for ESC Calibration. I also contacted Horizon Hobby support and followed their calibration procedure. It involved removing one wing at a time then setting the throttle to highest setting and returning it to lowest setting. It was similar to the other Horizon Hobby instructions that I found with my internet search.

My question now is "What parameter will I be checking for?" Items # 3 "Timing", or #4 "Input range?" I would like to get an idea what to expect. Additionally, I'll reply to Horizon Hobby about their calibration procedure. Thanks for your time and interest in this problem. Best Wishes, GWax
Yesterday, 02:01 PM
CR5
CR5
From what I've read in the forums the newer eflite ESC's do not have a calibration any more. Holding full at power up apparently does nothing but make it beep to tell you to lower the throttle so it can arm.

In the programming I would just make sure everything is the same for both ESC's.

If you've replaced both ESC's and motors I would have to say the problem must either be in the Y-harness (in the fuselage to take the signal to each wing connector, or a bad connector plug in one of the wings, or the wire from the wing connector plug to the ESC.
Once the signal leaves the receiver it's has to be a wiring issues since you've already replaced the ESC's and motors.
Good luck, I hope you're able to find the solution quickly. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to trace the y-harness in the fuselage as there is very little room for hands in there and it's a real rats nest of wire bundled up.

After my crash I should have taken the time to clean it all up while I could get my hands in there but just glued it back together instead.

Quick Reply