Mar 27, 2002, 10:30 AM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP

F-86 Gas

The kit was originally designed for glow fuel. Use an RK-20 fan unit (They on EBAY at times) and an OS 25 VFDF motor or the KB 3.5. Both flew the plane for 6 8 mins. I have built a number on them glow before the electric bug bit me.
Good Luck with the twins!
Bob Ruff
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2002, 12:06 PM

Forgive me as I am about to sin...can I use a gas motor with the hw730??

Oliver??? Im very slowly finishing my ejf f86 ( we just had twins, and modelling is now a low priority), and plan on using the b50-13xl. But to be honest, Im getting tired of 3-4 minute flights with high powered electrics. At our field everyone takes turns, and mine seem to go by really fast, while others fly for 20+ minutes...

Anyhow, I am considering using a ducted fan 40+ size motor with this fan. Anyone with input??? Wemotec makes this fan so I hoped oliver can give me feedback. Can the rotor take the stress???

Im still debating electric vs gas...input appreciated. The fuse on this plane is very thin fiberglass, I also wonder if it would hold up with an IC motor...

I know a lot of you also fly IC, input appreciated.
Mar 27, 2002, 12:38 PM
thanx bob, I saw your previous posts on this topic. Now the hw730 is awfully similar to the rk20, or so Im being told. Do you think it would work with the aforementioned motors or the os25? As it is carbon fiber I would suspect that it would work. And some of the .21 size car motors now put out 2 horsepower at 25000 rpm!!! I would think these should work great?
Mar 27, 2002, 03:47 PM
BruceJ34
BruceJ34

gas fans

vibrations.....will spell the demise of the electric components..a one lunger 2 stroke (or 4) has inherent lumping you shold look at..it may seem smooth but have harmonic's the fan doesnt want to digest......better ask oliver if that things up to the task
Just curious?why dont you get the RK unit you speak of ? and is the kyosho gas unit of any use to your project? just a thought
Bruce
Mar 27, 2002, 09:31 PM

where have you been?

i have seen some of the new .21 motors put out 2.8 Bhp(at the wheels) and 35000 rpms

now then wheres this fan !!!! hehehehe

im getting into .21 glow 1/8 off road soon
just had to make corrections sorry
Mar 28, 2002, 06:08 AM
hello,
sorry if I'm sinning too
But I also ordered an EJF F86 and also think about to gaspower it,
because I also want to put in retracts...so I need some power..
I thought of an fan like this one:
http://www.pichler.de/okmodel/zubeho...ellerunit.html
but I dunno if that is sufficient...does anyone no if a 40+ fan would fit??

regards,

frank
Mar 28, 2002, 06:33 AM
I could not log in yesterday, rather strange.

Yes, the 730 rotor is very rigid, and a couple customers modigified the kit for IC engines. It works.
The "30" in the 730 stands for 30 size IC engines, but that is just a ball park.

Oliver
Mar 28, 2002, 10:32 AM
thanx guys, I appreciate the input.

Oliver, you should make a IC version of the fan, it would likely sell well as there are no direct competitors.
Mar 28, 2002, 11:19 PM

New IC DF

I'm looking at the May 2002 issue of Model Aviation. On page 30 starts a review of an IC ducted fan based on the Shrike. It uses a 92mm dia. fan with a .18in IC engine at 25000rom, developing 1.1Kg of thrust.

This might be of interest to you. I don't know the cost, but I'm intrigued by the fan. The motor has a pull start, like a car motor, and the aircraft design basically has the fan sitting out in the breeze, so to speak.

good luck.

Jim
Mar 29, 2002, 10:06 AM
Suspended Account
I say prototypes of the Toki .18 fan at Toledo and can offer the following: They look well made, but they are very large in diameter for the power the motor makes. I think there was a tradeoff in thrust/pitch speed as the blades don't have much of it. I think it will have a lot of promise for sunday sport flyers and people that 'just want a jet'. Looks like a lot of fun!

And of RPM and HP, buggy/boat/fan/pylon motors rev high for sure. Motor makers will tell you that their BelchFire .21 makes 'Umpteen' hp at 36krpm but the motor will never see that rpm in actual use. OS lists peak hp for their homely FP series in the 15-16krpm range, and you know for darn sure none of those motors would spin that fast if you dropped them off a cliff. I've never seen an FP that spun more than 11,800 except for the .10 which does about 13,500 on a 7-4.

Anyways, believe your tach, not what you read in print!

Dave
Mar 29, 2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. I looked at a couple of buggy motors, and theire shafts are so short the fan would hit the carb. I suppose a pylon motor should work, no?? Do they make 3 size pylon motors. Any other motors of this size with rear intakes?

Im still debating wheter or not to just go electric, but we need some good 4000ma batteries that are c sized so I can get at least a 5 minute flight
Mar 29, 2002, 02:34 PM
re: C-sided cells...

There are 5/4C 4500Mah Nimh cells out there... I don't have any hard specs ...
Mar 29, 2002, 08:50 PM
Beer me!
Come to the dark (slimy) side.

Some toki-fan videos-- they are the ones that start with "dj"
http://www23.tok2.com/home/cha2/movie/

The Toki-fan is a very similiar design to the Kyosho F-86 power setup so I think it would benefit from similiar modifications that I made to the Kyosho gasser. I was able to get 26% more thust out of it by borrowing some aerodynamic lessons from the BVM Viofan setup. Some pictures
http://www.geocities.com/cnhilgers/F86mods.html
I figure the Toki-fan should be able to put out 3.4lbs thrust on a test stand with proper modifications and smooth inlet lip.

Danny Starkey's .21 size d/f planes
http://www.dannystarkey.freeserve.co.uk/

There was a very informative series of two articles in RCJI about Danny's planes entitled "Jet21". His small jets can do 160mph with Novarossi .21 engines. He said they performed better than the O.S. 25 D/F engine. They set you back $300 or so too for the top of the line .21's.

Dave Campbell,
In defence of fp's, I removed the baffle and reamed out the exhaust as much as possible from the muffler of my OS 15 FP and it turns a Master 7x6 14.5k. A friend of mine who is into combat taught me that trick. In general, if you put a small enough prop on an engine, there will be no problem getting to peak hp rpms when it unloads in the air.
Mar 29, 2002, 11:20 PM
You may want to look into a marine engine. They have rear intake carb and a much longer shaft to allow for the flywheel. They are also designed to handle high rpm's. On some you may have to replace the water jacketed head with a finned head for proper cooling.

Quick Reply