Dec 15, 2019, 06:34 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Contest

El Dorado Cookie Toss in Long Beach – A Classic Returns for 2020

El Dorado Cookie Toss in Long Beach – A Classic Returns for 2020

Just when you thought it was safe to plan stuff for Saturdays, The Cookie Toss is back for it’s 5th year, and promises a another season of flying toy airplanes in circles at El Dorado Park for 2020. Bookmark this thread so that you don't miss any of the DLG & F3K goodness it so generously offers...

The goals for this series are the same as always:
  • Keep the contests fun and low-pressure to let newer DLG pilots dip their toes into the F3K contest waters.
  • Give the well-worn experts a place to keep their skills honed, while mentoring the next generation of pilots.
  • Get to know each other! There are quite a few of us in the LA/OC (and beyond...) area, so lets get together!
  • Eat some cookies

Who should come:
If you have a DLG, you should come to every single 'Toss. All levels of experience are welcome. If you aren’t sure if the “contest thing” is for you, think of it as a fun-fly with friends with a little more structure. There will be experienced F3K pilots there to help out the guys who are new to it, so it’s a great opportunity to learn from the best.

Trophies will be awarded. But not for points - that's too serious. I like rewarding those that grab my attention somehow. So be creative if you want some swag for the mantle.

Note: a current AMA membership is required to fly at El Do - so go get one at www.modelaircraft.org if you aren’t a member.

What are the rules?
We call these things “F3K Fun-Fly”, but they will generally follow the official FAI rules for F3K. If you aren’t familiar with the F3K tasks, please download the rules here (they may look intimidating at first glance, but they really aren't all that complicated, particularly the task descriptions, so give it a go...). The hand-launch rules start on page 31...

I encourage folks to use an altimeter if they have one - El Do has a 400' ceiling due to its proximity to Long Beach airport, so keeping an eye on your altitude makes sense in the name of safety.

From past experience, we will use 3 flight groups if we can muster 12 or more people - it makes for a very relaxed contest with plenty of time to BS. If we have fewer pilots, we'll probably use 2 flight groups. I'll make that call just prior to the contest start.

No food or beverages will be provided (other than fresh home-made cookies from my better half…), so please bring your own snacks/lunch as you see fit. If we do 2 flight groups, there will be a break after round 4. In the 3 group format, there should be plenty of time to grab a bite/drink between rounds. It can get hot at ElDo, so bring plenty of water as the weather warms up.

Pilot’s meeting will always be at 8:30am and the first round of flying usually starts at 9:00am. Plus or minus. Being too serious is against Cookie Toss bylaws, so as long as we start somewhere in that ballpark, we are happy. We should wrap up by early afternoon (2ish?)

By the way, my buddy Brent may make a guest appearance now and then as CD so that I can kick back and relax for a contest every once in a while. Thanks Brent!!

Dates:
  1. January 11: That was awesometastic!
  2. February just didn’t work out. Damn real-life...
  3. March 7: It just doesn’t get much better than that!
  4. April 4: Don’t miss the Springtime bliss of tossing toy airplanes in the park!
  5. May ??
  6. June ??
  7. July ??
  8. August ??
  9. September ??
  10. October ??
  11. November ??
  12. December ??

Registration fee: $zero (non-refundable, sorry )

Note: if you register and then decide at the last minute not to come, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, or simply remove your name from the F3X Vault registry. It's important to keep the flight groups balanced for a two-heat event - I can accommodate last minute changes, but I need to know!

Where is El Dorado?
El Dorado East Regional Park is in Long Beach at 7550 E. Spring St. The Long Beach web site has a map of the park. Don’t be fooled by the map - there is no entrance on Wardlow Road; you must enter through the Spring Street entrance on the North side of Spring. The flying field is in the northern most part of the park in Area III. Note: There is a $7 entrance fee (unless you have an annual pass).

See you there!

- Matt (your CD)
Last edited by MattN; Mar 08, 2020 at 05:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2019, 12:35 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
As indicated in the first post, we are planning on starting 2020 off with a Cookie Toss on Jan 11.

We don’t usually have a ‘Toss in January, since the John Erickson Memorial DLG contest has been a mid-Jan event. But with the news that the JEM is on Hiatus for 2020, the Cookie Toss has a green light.

I’d like to ask a question to all of you JEM and CT alumni: We’ve been “tossing” the idea around of making the Jan ‘Toss something of a JEM-withdrawal contest. The idea would be to keep it a one-day event, but more a full-day - something like 10 rounds. Bring lunch in. The whole 4.5 yards.

What do y’all think?
Dec 16, 2019, 01:31 AM
I’m in.

I still have one dlg left.
Dec 16, 2019, 02:16 AM
Brent Lytle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
I’m in.

I still have one dlg left.
You’ll get the CX5 back in no time! Get started putting the vertical on, and I’ll have a wing and a horizontal in your hands by New Years.

They fly better with a little living history on them.

Back for 2020, there is always the “Village Bicycle” Helios 2 loaner. All are welcome to use. Let me know if I should put a blade on the right tip ;-)
Dec 16, 2019, 07:43 AM
Subliminal User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN
As indicated in the first post, we are planning on starting 2020 off with a Cookie Toss on Jan 11.

We don’t usually have a ‘Toss in January, since the John Erickson Memorial DLG contest has been a mid-Jan event. But with the news that the JEM is on Hiatus for 2020, the Cookie Toss has a green light.

I’d like to ask a question to all of you JEM and CT alumni: We’ve been “tossing” the idea around of making the Jan ‘Toss something of a JEM-withdrawal contest. The idea would be to keep it a one-day event, but more a full-day - something like 10 rounds. Bring lunch in. The whole 4.5 yards.

What do y’all think?
Yes!
Dec 16, 2019, 09:43 AM
I can BBQ for lunch ($5 per person), get a salad from Costco and mash potatoes from Wholefood OR...

The 6” sandwich from Subway, like Clay used to do.

Tai
Dec 16, 2019, 10:20 AM
I propose the tasks J.E.M....
Dec 16, 2019, 11:12 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1
I propose the tasks J.E.M....
I like your spirit, but I’m not sure I want to inflict task M on anybody during a Cookie Toss.

My understanding is that M is a “fly off” task, really intended for world championships. It’s called the “Huge Ladder”, and it’s kinda like the “Big Ladder”, but the target times are 3, 5, and 7 minutes. It has a 15 min working time.

I don’t think I would want to do a fly-off. Why? ElDo closes at dusk, so time is limited in January, and there’s not really enough time for a decent number of prelims + a fly off in one day.
Last edited by MattN; Dec 16, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Dec 16, 2019, 11:45 AM
What we could do is 7+3 rounds, Matt.

The last 3 rounds (J.E.M.) could be the Lex’s copy righted Everyone Flies (R) flyoff.

Let see those hot dogs having fun climbing the huge ladder at dusk :-)

John would like it...

Tai
Last edited by tai626; Dec 16, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
Dec 16, 2019, 12:10 PM
Or here is another idea:
9+1 format. In the last round my trademark (R) “One round only” (R) fly off:
- we are seeded in three heats;
- the first heat flIes Task (J), the second (E) and those Hot Dogs still fly (M).

Now I know why I got hit from behind soooo much! I really need to learn when to stop :-)

Tai
Last edited by tai626; Dec 16, 2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Grammar, semantics, etc..
Dec 16, 2019, 12:14 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
Or here is another idea:
9+1 format. In the last round my trademark (R) “One round only” (R) fly off:
- we seeded in three heats;
- the first heat fly Task (J), the second (E) and those Hot Dogs flies (M).

Now I know why I got hit from back soooo much! I won’t stop :-)

Tai
Interesting idea...
Dec 16, 2019, 01:30 PM
Glad you like it, Matt.

I am sending my application of TradeMark now:

“One Round Only” flyoff, aka, ORO :-)

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/oro

Tai
Dec 18, 2019, 09:12 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
I’m in!
Dec 18, 2019, 03:12 PM
Tom Knudtson

Try new tasks?

Maybe we could make this Toss about trying the new tasks?

Task A Last Flight (5 m max, unlimited launches) (is this new?)
Task E Poker with 3 successful flights
Task L One Flight (really one launch)
Task M Huge Ladder (3, 5, and 7 m flights, in order)

Did I miss any?
Dec 19, 2019, 02:27 PM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK
Maybe we could make this Toss about trying the new tasks?

Task A Last Flight (5 m max, unlimited launches) (is this new?)
Task E Poker with 3 successful flights
Task L One Flight (really one launch)
Task M Huge Ladder (3, 5, and 7 m flights, in order)

Did I miss any?
A is an old task.
Task D (used to be Ladder) is now 2 flights only in 10min, 5 min max per launch

Quick Reply