Jan 04, 2020, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Video of flying saucer maiden, just in case you're interested.

Clough Flying Saucer Maiden Flight (4 min 31 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 07:45 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Phew, Andy. You will have the Burnelli finished before i decide what to build for the DVBuild

Looking nice,,,,,, i like Roy's saucer as well....

Best regards,

jeff
Jan 04, 2020, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
That would be nice. It would mean my modeling mojo is back.

Andy
Jan 04, 2020, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
I was supposed to put up blinds in two rooms today. This was more fun.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry on the fuselage, I started on the fins and rudders. Both of them They're just sticks for the fins, and the rudder is a 3-ply lamination of 1/16" balsa. The center lam is vertical grain, and the two outer laminations are horizontal. I like to do this so that the control horn has a solid grain for moving the surface without flex.

After the fuselage dried, I removed it from the plans, flipped it over, and added the remaining stringers. The frame as photographed is only 48g, and the LE sheeting is 14 more. Combined and finished it will be less, as there's a bunch of extra wood on there right now.

The LE sheeting is 1/32" x 4 x 36 that was spliced into a 12x12 sheet. This will wrap around the front and then be trimmed off.

Andy
Jan 06, 2020, 09:03 PM
Came across this today... reminded me of your DV Build choice. More motivation...
Brian
Jan 06, 2020, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Balsa gears shown there - that's some work!

Andy
Jan 07, 2020, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
I pulled the tail end of the booms together around their former. The hole is where the fin post goes.

The fin and rudder are sanded. I used two Robart #306 hinge points on each of them.

Not much progress to report on the model, but I got a lot done in other stuff. It's all good.

Andy
Jan 08, 2020, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
If anybody is interested in building one of these, grab yourself an E-flite Twin Otter (EFL30075 or EFL30050), new or crashed. It looks like the power system is a perfect re-use for it, and the spinner/prop/cowl will give a very good turboprop appearance. While the real Burnelli had the same power as a DC-3, there are turbo DC-3's out there now (Basler BT-67).

So it could be a great fantasy-scale upgrade. I'm going this route myself.

If the whole foam plane isn't available, the parts can be had quite a bit cheaper. See the "Parts & Accessories" tab on the Horizon product page.

Andy
Jan 09, 2020, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
I started on the wings tonight. The dihedral angle guide is a little wide to fit in with R2 there, so I assembled the rest of the ribs, then added it afterwards.

Not much really unique here. About the only thing is trimming the main spar from 3/8" high to 1/8" high for the last bay, as the ribs get kinda short there.

Andy
Jan 10, 2020, 07:42 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Andy.......... I may be misunderstanding the construction or it may just be the angle that the photo has been taken from, but isn't that R1 angled the wrong way for dihedral - ie shouldn't the dihedral guides be the other side of R1??

Great build!
Jan 10, 2020, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
The top surface of the wing will be flat after joining to the fuselage sides. That means the top of this rib is closer to the tip than the bottom of the rib. I drew it out before doing it, just to make sure.

Please keep checking up on me! It common for me to make mental mistakes like that.

We checked the power of the Twin Otter system last night. Using it, I will need to run on 2S. There's way more power than needed on 3S.

Andy
Jan 10, 2020, 10:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The top surface of the wing will be flat after joining to the fuselage sides. That means the top of this rib is closer to the tip than the bottom of the rib. I drew it out before doing it, just to make sure.
Aaah... in the photo, it looked to me that the top of the rib was further from the tip than the bottom - must be an optical illusion caused by the camera lens or (far more likely) my rapidly worsening eyesight!

Phew, that's good....
Jan 10, 2020, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Ah, yes, I see what you mean. It's an optical collusion

Andy
Jan 11, 2020, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Been rather busy about the plane the last day or two. The wing is pretty much conventional construction. The tips are three laminations of 1/16" balsa that were glued up last week. Be sure you keep the wing & tail laminations clamped flat for several days so they don't warp. Guess how I figured that out (for the nth time).

The ailerons will only deflect upwards to prevent stalls with the very narrow tip chord. That makes them a little easier to build, fortunately, as the forward edge of the aileron is simply 1/16 x 1/4 strip, matching the edge on the wing. By the way, there is no top sheeting on the ailerons, just a sheet of 1/16 x 1 for the lower surface.

The stab/elevator has 3/16" laminated tips, but because the spars are 3/8" thick, some 3/32" scrap was used to elevate the tip and TE above the plans. The area where the stab meets fins gets 1/16" sheet and 1/8" thick ribs. Everything else is 1/16".

The fuselage sheeting was wetted and wrapped around the front edge, with blue masking tape holding it while it dried. After it dried, it was glued into place and taped and pinned.

Andy
Jan 11, 2020, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Getting closer!

8.6 ounces, 242g

Andy

Quick Reply