Mar 09, 2020, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Nothing left to do but try her out. I hope my next post will be of the Paragon in the air.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2020, 03:29 PM
Geppetto
Again, a beautiful build Mike. It's going to fly like a home sick angel. Keep us all posted with your flight report. Inquiring minds will want to know.

Geppetto
Jun 01, 2020, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
It's been two months since my last post and finally I was able to fly the Paragon yesterday. The only problem a severe pitch up on launch. This was fixed easily by mixing down elevator with the throttle.
So how does this version compare to the V tail? There is nothing wrong with the handling. It is very easy to fly. The only difference for me was the turn response seemed better with the V tail.
Jun 11, 2020, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Just a few more comments. I flew the Paragon again last Sunday and got the motor elevator and spoiler elevator mixes where I want them.

In an earlier post someone asked what I thought the watts per pound would be and my estimate was 150. If I was to do this again, I would shoot for 75. The climb is fast enough to flutter the wing tips.

On the last flight, I found lift so strong that even with the spoilers open, I had to work to get it down.

Mike
Jun 11, 2020, 11:41 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Looks great Mike! Now you are making me want to get my Paragon out.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 12, 2020, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Looks great Mike! Now you are making me want to get my Paragon out.

Ryan
The big surprise to me after progressing through thinner airfoils, ailerons,flaps,smaller and smaller fuselage cross sections, is how well this old design fly's.
The only thing it doesn't do well is wind and I understand that with a lot of ballast, it will even do that well.
Mike
Sep 20, 2020, 01:01 PM
Mike, I just stumbled on your thread. I have decided to build a Paragon. Open the plans and started making rib templates this morning. Your thread will be used as reference. I was even thinking of using the same colors. With some luck and hope, I can bring it to Muncie next year
Sep 22, 2020, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Mike, I just stumbled on your thread. I have decided to build a Paragon. Open the plans and started making rib templates this morning. Your thread will be used as reference. I was even thinking of using the same colors. With some luck and hope, I can bring it to Muncie next year
I just noticed your post. I hope you enjoy your Paragon as much as I have mine. Hope you make it to Muncie next year.

Mike
Oct 29, 2020, 05:41 AM
Mike,

Do you recall if you wrapped the spar boxes with thread? I’m not sure if that’s needed since my winch will be in the nose. Same with fiberglassing the center section, and spruce turbulators. I think I can get away with hard balsa, do you agree?
Oct 29, 2020, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Mike,

Do you recall if you wrapped the spar boxes with thread? Iím not sure if thatís needed since my winch will be in the nose. Same with fiberglassing the center section, and spruce turbulators. I think I can get away with hard balsa, do you agree?
I did not wrap the spar boxes. The center section is fiber glassed to protect it from rubber band damage. I think most of the center sections strength comes from from the dihedral brace. Hard balsa tabulators should be fine.
The wing is between twenty and thirty years old and has survived hundreds of winch and high start launches.

Mike
Oct 29, 2020, 11:02 AM
I built the second Paragon ever in Slobods Garage. Wrap the spar boxes with thread, preferably kevlar. Weighs nothing, adds a lot of strength. Gliders ground loop, they get blown over. There is more than one way to damage a wing.

JDK
Nov 19, 2020, 01:39 PM
Geppetto
Congratulations on a beautiful build Mike! I love the covering job and especially the tapering lightening holes along the fuselage sides through the transparent covering. Very nice!

Geppetto
Nov 20, 2020, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGeppetto
Congratulations on a beautiful build Mike! I love the covering job and especially the tapering lightening holes along the fuselage sides through the transparent covering. Very nice!

Geppetto
Thanks Geppetto.

Mike
Nov 22, 2020, 07:34 AM
Mike, hope you donít mind, posting a few pics of my build.
Nov 22, 2020, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Mike, hope you donít mind, posting a few pics of my build.
I don't mind a bit. Please keep me up to speed on your progress. You build faster than I do. Really looks good!

Mike

Quick Reply