Dec 14, 2019, 08:51 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Discussion

Enigma F5J

I recently had a really great experience purchasing a Viator (a 3m mini Volo! ) directly from the builder. This summer a 4m ship in the background of a few pics on the Viator thread caught my eye. After some investigation I found that the Engima was made by the same person that made the Skiff. I was able to contact the builder, Vladimir, by email.

The model can be ordered with a v-tail or standard tail, is available with different core materials, and 3.6m or 4m wingspans. Vladimir said that the two tail options fly the same, so I went with a 4m v-tail with a Rohacell core.
Last edited by G.P.; Jan 05, 2020 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 08:52 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Viktor, the builder of the Viator, was kind enough to take a video of the Enigma for me.

Enigma F5J (0 min 43 sec)
Last edited by G.P.; Dec 14, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
Dec 14, 2019, 08:57 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Color scheme was of my choosing. After telling Vladimir which colors I could see well, and what I was thinking, he sent me an illustration for my approval.

Once the build was completed, he sent some pics of the finished product before it was shipped.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Dec 14, 2019, 09:05 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Airframe arrived well packed and without damage. Initial impressions were beyond my expectations. Wing and tail wiring harness was completed, servo pockets cut out already, servo covers trimmed, a ballast tube installed, and the motor mount installed.

I asked for a strong model that would put durability before AUW, as I’m just flying for fun and not competing. My airframe on my kitchen scale:

Fuse (fwd) 150g
Fuse (rear) 59g
Tail 53g
LH wing 194g
RH wing 188g
Center wing 419g
Total 1063g
Jan 04, 2020, 12:59 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
First time Ive installed LDS. Installed it on all wing control surfaces. Just barely enough room, but possible after widening the servo openings to get the servo frame in.

Jan 04, 2020, 05:26 PM
Interesting looking model. Thanks for putting this thread together. What do you think the AUW will be?
Jan 04, 2020, 09:01 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757
Interesting looking model. Thanks for putting this thread together. What do you think the AUW will be?
Total empty airframe weight is 1063 grams.

Empty airframe has the ballast tube, motor mount, and wing wiring already installed. Mine is the strong layup, with a Rohacell core and fully painted wing. Mine is the absolute heaviest version, and I’m building for reliability, durability and ease of field assembly. I’m not competing and just looking for a quality airframe to fly for fun for many years.

My guess is that I’ll come in around 1600 grams. I haven’t weighed all of my components though, and that’s strictly a guess based on past experience.
Last edited by G.P.; Jan 05, 2020 at 10:07 PM.
Jan 05, 2020, 07:09 PM
Honorable Deplorable
That color is gorgeous!!!!

Havent looked, but what is the price for a special color model?
Jan 05, 2020, 09:40 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
That color is gorgeous!!!!

Havent looked, but what is the price for a special color model?
Ill send you a PM with contact info if youd like. There was no extra charge for my paint scheme that Im aware of.
Jan 05, 2020, 09:43 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Tail servos installed. The tail surfaces are so thin that a widened pocket is molded into them to fit the servos.
Last edited by G.P.; Jan 05, 2020 at 10:06 PM.
Jan 05, 2020, 09:44 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Nice tight fit with the servos, shows the make of a quality kit.

Would be nice if the wife would let me spend the money on one of these higher end models.
Jan 05, 2020, 09:54 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
Nice tight fit with the servos, shows the make of a quality kit.

Would be nice if the wife would let me spend the money on one of these higher end models.
Fit and finish has been quit good. On par with some of my DLGs. It’s not perfect, but I feel that I got great value, especially considering the level of completion.

My pictures show more “orange peel” on the finish than what is normally visible. Something with the lights in my shop. The only issues are some cosmetic things, like some rough paint edges on the control surface hinge lines. Seems that it didn’t all lift from the mold. It’s purely cosmetic and not visible from a few feet. Probably not an issue if you don’t get a fully painted wing.
Jan 10, 2020, 08:13 PM
Honorable Deplorable
So any build up dates or flights. Lol

If it is as cold up there as it is here, I would imagine you are staying warm inside
Jan 10, 2020, 11:29 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thread OP
Nothing for the next month or so....working hard for the next couple of weeks, and then taking a tropical vacation to get out of the cold for a few weeks!

Temps are hovering around around -30c (-22f) here right now. Next week has a few day with highs of -40c (-40f)! Needless to say I’m in no rush to maiden!

Edit: just checked out your temps and they aren’t much better!
Jan 11, 2020, 10:08 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Yeah sitting here in my house with temps at -20f, without considering the wind. Not going to be spending much time outside it seems. Lol

Quick Reply