Dec 14, 2019, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What is the sweet spot for Long range/fun to fly?

I have mini quads from whoops to 6Ē and everything in between and Iíve been looking at building a big long range flier. I was going to build an x-class quad assuming bigger = carry more stuff and still get good flight times, but then I saw the battery life of most x-class quads

Iím planning out something that will hold a fair amount of weight (dji fpv system, traditional 5.8 fpv system, full size GoPro, gps, large 6s pack), give me a good 7-10 min flight time (more would be great but trying to be realistic), and still be able to do some basic freestyle. Doing dual video for redundancy and so I could fly with analog and give the dji goggles to a spectator.

So Iím thinking Iím looking more in the 7-9Ē prop range, but not sure on how to figure out the sweet spot between efficient and fun.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 05:20 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi DRb,

Is an hour flight time long enough?
TRICOPTER LR - Long Range FPV, 1h+ Flight time, Foldable multirotor - Build Video. (25 min 37 sec)

In the hands of an experienced pilot, a tricopter can do freestyle, specially if you reduce the size and sacrifice runtime for performance, check out David's other builds.

Regards, Jan.
Dec 14, 2019, 08:42 PM
Hi.
if by X-class you mean 30kg-50kg thrust beast - yess, its overkill. But I guess thats point of racing

For sub 1000g, 7" is tons of fun, very fast, and can carry your dji stuff. Lots of threads on 7" here.. couple where I urge to use 2806.5 (I use iFlight 2806.5).. For 7" 2507 motor is min.

I follow/copy this guy:
AlmondRacing AR8 & AR10 Full throttle 6S speed runs - 8" and 10" (9 min 33 sec)

I have "clone" with BH2812 running HQ 9x5x3 probs.
������

5"
-------
+ fast. very agile. acro. huge selection of parts
+ easily carry DJI/GoPro.
+ typically 2kg thrust mltors, 40A ESC, XT60
+ so-so flight times.

7"
-------
+ fast. still agile. good parts selection.
+ crashes more expensive: motors, props, battery
+ typically expensive 2.5kg thrust motors. 50A ESC. XT90
+ more efficient. good flight times.

9"
-------
+ lots of momentum (flying brick?).
+ fast crashes are "KaaaBooom"
+ niche parts. high-end ESC and motors (3115, 2814)
+ lots of prop surface/drag
+ need lots of space. more suceptible to low freq vibrations.
+ 15min+ easy. 6S. depends 2600mAh.. 4500mAh.
Dec 15, 2019, 06:23 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Cost, Performance, Reliability.

Pick any two...

My personal opinion:

Build 2 separate aircraft. Build one for aerial photography/ endurance, and build another for yankin' and bankin'.
Dec 15, 2019, 03:42 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
Build 2 separate aircraft. Build one for aerial photography/ endurance, and build another for yankin' and bankin'.
yep. multipurpose quads just end up being meager performers for both of the intended uses.
Dec 17, 2019, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks romangpro, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

I’ve built a stable Long range rig, it was boring to fly so I never flew it. Trying to fix that this time around.
Dec 18, 2019, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadRedbeard
Thanks romangpro, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

I’ve built a stable Long range rig, it was boring to fly so I never flew it. Trying to fix that this time around.
Sounds like my rarely used "aerial photo rig".. 14" Daya 550 using SS V3508 (maybe 30-40min without rig/gimbal). .. lol
Big. Heavy. "slow". Need HUGE space. Difficult to tune. No acro... only gentle panning shots.. lol

Also got BH2812 powered 9" - its worlds better.. but still heavy and the momentum... and expensive crashes. If big space and windy, its fun... sometimes

soo.....

I ordered parts for 5" ultra light. Around 120g for quad + 120g battery. Bought 24 pairs of props.. Just in case
Should be interesting.

There is a "sub250g fpv" guy on youtube doing amazing shots flying 3" through thick trees and branches.. probably DJI Digital . highly recommend you look into it.
Last edited by romangpro; Dec 18, 2019 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply