This thread is privately moderated by Bell47G2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 14, 2019, 02:52 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Discussion

Diagnosed w/C.O.P.D.

After 30 years of smoking cigarettes, I was diagnosed w/C.O.P.D. late last night @my local ER. I’ve made a decision to give up cigarettes once & for all. If I gain more weight, so be it. @46 years-of-age, my physician told me I could be co-dependent on an oxygen tank by the time I’m 50. I want to be around to see my Grandson grow up, and grow old with my wife. If you smoke, cut WAY back, then stop ENTIRELY while you still have a chance. Being short of or even having NO breath whatsoever, and NOT being able lay down, & having to sleep sitting up REALLY SUCKS, BELIEVE ME!!!!
Daniel
Last edited by Bell47G2; Dec 14, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Dec 14, 2019, 05:52 PM
Official Old Git!
Hiya, Daniel.

My sister-in-law has COPD - as a result of smoking. I have to agree with you that it a pretty nasty condition, and she has emergency medicine always available.

She has difficulty walking/climbing any stairs/etc, can tolerate dust/animals etc - even though she has given up smoking for around 5 years.

I don't smoke (and never have). My reason was simple - both of my parents were heavy smokers, my mother would hit 120 / day whenever she was stressed. I decided in my early teens that there was no way that I'd become dependent on such things.

Your advice is sound. People can live without smoking - but they end up not being able to live with it!
Dec 15, 2019, 02:00 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, Norman. I get paid Tuesday, then I can pick up my prescriptions. I’m breathing A LOT easier today, but my lungs/chest still hurts.
Dec 15, 2019, 05:54 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Thanks, Norman. I get paid Tuesday, then I can pick up my prescriptions. I’m breathing A LOT easier today, but my lungs/chest still hurts.
Shame you are a bit of a 'youngster' to be in such a situation, my friend!

Hang in their fella, and try to enjoy just the fact you are alive on an amazing planet!

For interest, I suffer from Sarcoidosis - which is an auto-immune problem. I spent 5 years really violently coughing before they tracked it down. No cure, but steroids manage it. I only take such when it flares up which is pretty much as the weather changes from warm to cold/damp i.e. this time of year. At least my hassle is minimal compared to yours.

And it doesn't help, but keep in mind that everyone has problems they have to manage. My son is a Haemophiliac, who was infected with HIV and HepC when he was 8 years old. He's been managing his life and is currently 42.

'fraid 'Life is a Bitch' - but better than the alternative!
Dec 26, 2019, 09:52 AM
sensitive artsy type
Yes, good luck, and maybe they caught it early enough, quitting smoking and perhaps it getting better with the medicine and you can actually effect some repair with regular walking and breathing, although I don't know if they believe that possible, read about a fellow who was a journalist and was diagnosed with a heart condition, was basically told he would not live, but he started walking every day, every where, and as a journalist, he would strike up conversations and eventually make friends with all these folks he met, and want to see them again... just kept walking and talking, he lived in NYC, so there were plenty of places and new folks to walk to, after a while, his dangerous test numbers showed much better results. He had thought he had a death sentence. But he didn't. It changed his life though.

Staying hopeful, adjusting to not smoking, find something to replace it, build stick and tissue models? Avoid CA glue. People don't understand, even medical folks, how folks with afflictions are still able to share family time, laugh out loud, have normal times.

Pulling for you.
Last edited by Treetop; Dec 26, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
Dec 26, 2019, 11:48 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, Treetop.

Quick Reply