Dec 14, 2019, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC10 Classic - Sell/part or finish?

Many yrs ago my brother and I both had classic RC10s(they weren't as classic at the time). His was a re-issue, mine was a used black pan and we ran them for a while until we got tired of waiting for batteries to charge back in the NiCD only days. So these hit the shelves for a long time. I was happily flying planes and had no ground RCs for a long time but we are back into racing.

I took the two RC10s and made one usable one from them and it runs with some of the newer 2wd stuff and kept up pretty well. It was limited by the brushed motor and ESC so I simply installed a BL setup only to find that the trans was too worn. I bought new bearings but the top shaft doesn't fit the ID of the bearings tight enough. It looks like there is wear on the shaft where the bearing sits.

So I started searching for gears and this is my current problem. I want a solid, all metal input/top shaft but I can only find those in 64 pitch. And, I can't seem to find the idler or the lowest gear in 64, only 48. So I am trying to decide if I want to continue to try to find the correct gears or let this be someone elses car. It is my understanding that with fresh gears and bearings that this transmission will tolerate BL.

Question 1: Does anyone have either a 48 pitch solid metal top shaft or the other two gears in 64 pitch?

Q2: Just how sought after are these? This one consists of a gold-pan (reissue) with a 3 gear stealth trans. I also have a black pan but not much else.

Q3: what other Team Associated vehicles have compatible trans gears? Another brother of mine has an RC10GT that can probably be had for little money. But I think it would be earier to simply convert the GT to BL(if that transmission can take the extra power).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2019, 10:30 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly5150
... we are back into racing....
Are you actually racing these at a club or just bashing around the local park?

Reason I ask is that if you are truly racing competitively then I would encourage you to consider buying a modern design that can handle modern electronics without blowing out your drive train... technology has come a long way and you would reduce a lot frustration by getting a modern design buggy with better parts support, etc..

Quote:
Just how sought after are these?
It's a niche market and completely unpredictable on what someone is willing to pay, most rollers sell for around $50 in decent working condition to as much as $300 for a near mint condition. Having a shelf queen is nice, but if you want to enjoy your toy car without worry of effecting the value, then get yourself a modern buggy and stress free fun of bashing the snot out of it without worry of getting parts
Dec 15, 2019, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
The racing is on a modest backyard track. The main competition is my Slash 4wd vs my bro's Rustler 4wd but he also has a 2wd Rustler that needed some competition. If I were to spend on something modern, it would most likely be a better SCT. If fact, there is an Associated SC10 4wd for sale close to me that is holding my attention.

The RC10 only got attention because it was available, almost complete and I has a spare Rx.

My only opportunity(that I never took advantage of) to race with a larger group just recently shut down so its likely to always be a backyard competition for me.
Dec 15, 2019, 11:57 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Yeah.. 4WD will beat 2WD in any situation, like taking a knife to a gun fight... the older 4WD SC10 did have issue with snapping belts and was difficult to work on... if you're gonna buy used I would recommend staying with something that is still in production... the SC10 was discontinued a long time ago... Consider TEKNO or Losi to get the best value/performance/durability, more info here:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?
Last edited by bill_delong; Dec 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Dec 15, 2019, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
I looked at the Tekno a little and it looks like quite a machine. If I could find a lightly used one for a decent price, I would certainly jump on it. A new one it more than I can justify when I consider how seriously I take this hobby.

Thanks for the info.
Dec 16, 2019, 03:52 AM
I run mostly vintage cars these days and I'd say you need to be an enthusiast to do it , parts are hard to find and often expensive , usually the most commonly broken small part can command a stupidly high price because everybody needs it .... Modern stuff is stronger , performs better and the parts are easier to find .
4x4 V 2wd is a time old debate but for some back yard fun then run like for like so the action is closer .
If you really want to stay with the RC10 then there are still plenty of parts for it ,if you want to sell it then the price range above is about right and will really depend on its condition .
Dec 16, 2019, 08:33 AM
Head over to rc10talk.com and ask over there. That site is devoted to classic RC10s. There's enough interest in those cars, that between that forum and ebay, you should be able to keep one of those cars running for another 30 years without issue. If your car is a b-stamp car, you can swap in a Stealth transmission, which can easily handle brushless power reliably. If you're handy with making your own parts, there are also plenty of options for swapping in other, more modern transmissions. I've got a side project going right now involving swapping a B5M transmission into a T2 truck.
Dec 16, 2019, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
It has a stealth trans now but it is well worn and skips a tooth occasionally under power. It was OK on brushed "stock" torque but even 2S power was too much without a rebuild. The stealth rebuild is where I am stumped. I can't find the top shaft in the original pitch and I can't find the other two gears to match the 64 pitch top gear/shaft that I found. I will go poke around on rc10talk.com and check availability.
Dec 17, 2019, 09:33 AM
Quote:
It has a stealth trans now but it is well worn and skips a tooth occasionally under power. It was OK on brushed "stock" torque but even 2S power was too much without a rebuild. The stealth rebuild is where I am stumped. I can't find the top shaft in the original pitch and I can't find the other two gears to match the 64 pitch top gear/shaft that I found. I will go poke around on rc10talk.com and check availability.
Most guys rebuild the Stealth with a T4 top shaft & T4 slipper assembly, which puts up with brushless power better than the original slipper. Lots and lots of info on rc10talk surround this upgrade, so be sure to check it out.

Quick Reply