Dec 13, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

AT-6 Texan

Looking to recover and repaint my AT-6 Texan. What would be the best covering to use and is this just a plain yellow?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 09:02 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
That color is referred to as "Orange Yellow" sometimes "Chrome Yellow"

I think that closest off the shelf iron on covering is going to be Cub Yellow,.

Are you looking to use paint? then this I believe this is the shade http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=13538

good luck
Dec 14, 2019, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
That color is referred to as "Orange Yellow" sometimes "Chrome Yellow"

I think that closest off the shelf iron on covering is going to be Cub Yellow,.

Are you looking to use paint? then this I believe this is the shade http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=13538

good luck
So would solartex or ultracote work for a dull or matt finish?
Dec 14, 2019, 11:38 AM
Well, either could be made dull with either with satin clear paint or the film can be buffed out to remove the shine,,

Should go backwards here,, is the is going to be glow or gas?,, that matters as to what paints to use if you're going with paint of any kind
Dec 14, 2019, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Well, either could be made dull with either with satin clear paint or the film can be buffed out to remove the shine,,

Should go backwards here,, is the is going to be glow or gas?,, that matters as to what paints to use if you're going with paint of any kind
It's gas and the fuse / center wing are fiberglass outer wings and elevators are balsa covered in something. Hobbyking sold it at one time but discontinued it . Thanks for the help that paint looks spot on .
Dec 14, 2019, 02:59 PM
It should be rmembered that WWII colors, especially US colors could vary greatly due to vqrious conditions, such as manufacturer, individual batch, preparation, mix/re-mixing, type and age of material, weathering, etc. "Chrome Yellow" has a specific color spec. and U.S. Standard number, with an official color value and/or chip. However, more orange, less orange were common variations. Gloss finishes generally appeared to suffer less from effects of weathering and ultraviolet degradation. etc. I think you'd be safe with any of the warmer shades of Yellow.
Dec 14, 2019, 04:16 PM
True,, it's also hard to tell from pictures the exact color, depending on the background and lighting, camera filters, the same plane can look like many different shades of the same color
Dec 14, 2019, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
This is the reason for wanting to re-paint and cover.

Quick Reply