Dec 31, 2019, 01:44 PM
Well it isn't coming from the battery but the DCDC converter.

Don't know the spec offhand but certainly more than I can imagine this use case requiring with charging batteries under a kWh in size.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
OP here and I wanted to post that all went well. Thank you to those that offered advice.

Using my hybrid vehicle to charge batteries at the field turned out to be simpler than I expected. My vehicle came equipped with an AGM 12v accessory battery. Starter power comes from the drive battery. My vehicle has an accessory jack rated at 12v/120 watts in the rear cargo area. I have had no problems charging multiple 2200/2800 3S batteries. I keep the vehicle in "ready" mode while charging. Once in a while the vehicle starts the ICE to keep the AGM accessory battery charged but it did not run long.

I'm very happy that I don't need to lug a generator or deep cycle battery to the field!
Feb 25, 2020, 08:16 AM
yep, good on ya' not listening to the naysayers, people out there are keeping 1000+ Ah House banks topped up, combining with solar etc
Feb 25, 2020, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
yep, good on ya' not listening to the naysayers, people out there are keeping 1000+ Ah House banks topped up, combining with solar etc
Not everyone charges at 120W max.
Feb 25, 2020, 01:28 PM
?? Yes, exactly what I just said, that powerplant is capable of much more, will basically support living off grid, and with aircon to boot.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
?? Yes, exactly what I just said, that powerplant is capable of much more, will basically support living off grid, and with aircon to boot.
What is it capable of?
Feb 25, 2020, 05:34 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
What is it capable of?
Yes, a regular Prius, not my Prius C, can be a great backup generator to a solar system off the grid and you will hardly hear the motor run.

My buddy put over 600,000 miles on his Prius and traded it in...ready for this...for another Prius.

Rick
Feb 25, 2020, 05:39 PM
Quote:
What is it capable of?
What are you asking, kWh per 24hrs?

I dunno, never had a reason to try to find out.

More than a couple Honda inverter gennies though, and you can't use them to go into town for more fuel either.
Feb 25, 2020, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Yes, a regular Prius, not my Prius C, can be a great backup generator to a solar system off the grid and you will hardly hear the motor run.

My buddy put over 600,000 miles on his Prius and traded it in...ready for this...for another Prius.

Rick
I think there may be one in my future.... How do you like yours?
Feb 26, 2020, 12:30 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Quote:
I think there may be one in my future.... How do you like yours?
Only problem in 120k miles. The button came off that keeps the seat belt metal latch from falling down to the bottom.
I just want to leave as much resources as possible for my grandkids.
Mine is the C model. Lower power but gets around like a gocart. 47mpg actual avg from day one. Goes 55 up the biggest mountains with 4 people here in AZ so enough power to get around no problem
Front brakes are still at 90%.
Rick

Quick Reply