Dec 15, 2019, 07:02 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
Not sure I want to carry a gasoline powered generator and a fuel container inside my vehicle. The fumes can be a problem and it is probably not totally safe either. And I don't have a safe place to store these at my home.
I carry my Honda 1000 watt generator, well secured, in my van. All windows closed, no noticable gasoline smell or fumes. No need to carry more fuel, the full tank will charge all the batteries I can fly in a day at the field. Of course if you have no place to keep it at home that's a deal breaker.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2019, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Not sure I want to carry a gasoline powered generator and a fuel container inside my vehicle. The fumes can be a problem and it is probably not totally safe either. And I don't have a safe place to store these at my home.
Well you've got some tough decisions to make. Outside of the club installing a solar setup as one club I belong to has done, the Honda generator is by far the cleanest solution. As for back issues, after 30 years of carrying patients on stretchers as a Paramedic, I too have that problem. I started with a 2000 size Honda but it was just too heavy. So I got the 1000 size which is about half the weight of the bigger unit.

Gasoline in the car? I do carry some occasionally for my gasser models. Fuel jug inside a cat litter square 5 gal. plastic bucket with the lid on takes care of that, however in your case, that little 1000 will run for about 8 hours without refueling.
Dec 15, 2019, 09:15 PM
My first answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
Long as it's running should be no problem.
what's wrong with that?

If you need to add mothership deep cycling batteries, go LFP but it will cost you.
Dec 15, 2019, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
My first answer

what's wrong with that?

If you need to add mothership deep cycling batteries, go LFP but it will cost you.

I think I will cautiously try using my hybrid vehicle's 12v battery for charging as long as it is turned on or in "ready" mode. The 12v battery in my Rav4 is conveniently located behind the rear wheel well and accessible in the cargo area. Hopefully I won't fry something. This seems to be the simplest solution as long as it works. At my age, I am trying to keep this hobby simple. Buying a deep cell battery or a generator are good alternatives but they are also burdens I don't want to deal with and I need to downsize my possessions. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Dec 15, 2019, 09:50 PM
Buy a regular gasoline powered generator & a standard sized car battery. The generator will keep the battery charged up AND also FILTER out any electrical generator spikes that could damage the LIPOS charger. You can put the generator, gas tank fort it and the battery far away from the car & other people........... Safety counts. Enjoy

You do need to figure out how much current your LIPO charger watts to charge the biggest lipos. AT the generators 12 vdc terminals. Get it all designed on paper first befor buying anything. CHeaper & better that way. If you do desert heat in the afternoon ? The generator has to be be sized to run in the suin. Or help it with a flat tent over it for you to get relief also.. Post back with your working setup.
Last edited by cyclops2; Dec 15, 2019 at 09:56 PM.
Dec 15, 2019, 10:37 PM
Quote:
At my age, I am trying to keep this hobby simple. Buying a deep cell battery or a generator are good alternatives but they are also burdens I don't want to deal with and I need to downsize my possessions
Good goals.

> I think I will cautiously try using my hybrid vehicle's 12v battery for charging as long as it is turned on or in "ready" mode. The 12v battery in my Rav4 is conveniently located behind the rear wheel well and accessible in the cargo area.

That will be just fine.

> Hopefully I won't fry something.

You won't, just follow the right order hooking things up.
Dec 15, 2019, 10:44 PM

I am very old

I could NOT FIND 1 one gas generator that ONLY puts out 12vdc...............Times do change.

If you do tie into the car? Put fuses or fast acting circuit breakers in both cables to the battery connections. I have had a cable clamp slip out of my hand. You are worst case doing about 15 amps at a 5 C charge rate of the 3000 mahr pack..
Dec 15, 2019, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
I could NOT FIND 1 one gas generator that ONLY puts out 12vdc
They are called 12V generators, and while not plentiful dozens are on the market.

Any decent tinkerer with access to a machine shop can connect a gas motor and alternator together.

Or buy a kit.

But not needed here anyway. . .
Dec 16, 2019, 06:35 AM
Quote:
They are called 12V generators, and while not plentiful dozens are on the market.
I was just curious what such things go for as a small one would come in handy when camping in very cloudy weather and be more efficient than an AC generator through the converter, so went to Amazon and put in "12v generator". Got lots of power banks that run off batteries. Nothing at all with a gasoline engine that generates only DC power. (Most AC generators will put out 12V too, but not many amps.)
Dec 16, 2019, 04:20 PM
For charging lipo airplane batteries why would you need a 12 v generator

A 1000 watt Honda inverter generator a converted server power supply. Will be less expensive than a bucket of lipos last forever will carry enough fuel to charge for several days

Probably as safe as caring that many lipos

If you field charge you will only need a couple flight packs

Get a parallel board

Dennis
Dec 19, 2019, 02:04 AM
Quote:
I think I will cautiously try using my hybrid vehicle's 12v battery for charging as long as it is turned on or in "ready" mode. The 12v battery in my Rav4 is conveniently located behind the rear wheel well and accessible in the cargo area. Hopefully I won't fry something. This seems to be the simplest solution as long as it works. At my age, I am trying to keep this hobby simple. Buying a deep cell battery or a generator are good alternatives but they are also burdens I don't want to deal with and I need to downsize my possessions. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Oh man, this is SO stupid I cannot even believe it's being considered. As a retired Firefighter having gone through numerous classes on how to rescue somone from a wrecked EV vehicle; you cannot imagine how stinking much power is routed around/through those vehicles and trust me, it's more than enough to kill you if you screw up. Let alone how much it's going to cost to repair one tiny mistake you might make if you survive......

Please do not try to do this, retired Paramedic.
Dec 19, 2019, 02:15 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Every Rav4 I've seen has had a 12V accessory outlet (AKA Cigar Lighter socket) in the center console. They're good for 15A. So provided you're not looking for more than 180W of charge power, just buy yourself a male 12V accessory plug at the local autoparts store and wire up a connector to your charger and plug it in. 180W is enough to charge a 3S pack at 14A or a 4S pack at 10A.

I don't have a hybrid, but I do have one of these 12V plugs wired with a few different connectors. I use it to power a large charger (PowerLab8) but I limit the max charge rate. I also use it to power my FPV ground station. I just start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes every hour or so depending on what I'm doing. The PL8 charger will do reverse charging, which is a life saver when you over-discharge the car battery and it won't crank. You just need to bum a spare charged battery from someone...
Dec 19, 2019, 06:53 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
...I cannot even believe it's being considered...

Please do not try to do this, retired Paramedic.
Zeeb, please note there are 2 batteries in a Toyota Hybrid. 12 volts and approximately 250 volts.
These are completely isolated from each other and tapping into the NiMH Hybrid Vehicle (HV) battery is very difficult for the exact reason you pointed out.
He will be fine doing as planned

Rick
Dec 19, 2019, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
I was just curious what such things go for as a small one would come in handy when camping in very cloudy weather and be more efficient than an AC generator through the converter, so went to Amazon and put in "12v generator". Got lots of power banks that run off batteries. Nothing at all with a gasoline engine that generates only DC power. (Most AC generators will put out 12V too, but not many amps.)
Not all niche product categories are suitable for buying online. Death of proofitability.

Start a new thread and I'll dig up my notes, others will have ideas too.
Dec 19, 2019, 10:40 AM
Yes @Zeeb comment is spot on for those without a clue.

But rank fear mongering for those that know what they're doing.

Hundreds of people build their own EV conversion from scratch. What we're talking about is 1000th as challenging.

Quick Reply