Dec 30, 2019, 10:20 AM
I once had a plane that would intermittently just refuse to respond to control input (including throttle). Range check was fine.
Turned out it was a intermittently failing antenna (loose connection to receiver). Opened up the receiver and re-soldered to antenna to its attachment point and all was OK after that.
So even if you pass a range check, that doesn't rule out receiver issues.
Maybe just swap out the receiver to eliminate it as a possible culprit.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2019, 06:07 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Guys , todays radios are so Good !!! We come from a time when you had to tune your RX at the time of flying … and we heard a lot of “I ain’t got it!! “ at the old flying field …
Today it’s little things that happen to radio gear … but thankfully not very often …
But all those extra buttons/switches these days are a distraction , and a possibility for error …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 31, 2019, 02:42 PM
Sokol
Simplified the airframe to a delta planform,
Separated the v - tail into two rudders close to the wingtips
changed the esc and added more motor down thrust ( no down thrust => no lift ) .
Flew just great !

Will need some time to rebuild with the canard.
Jan 01, 2020, 06:41 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Well then ,now we know it works as a delta too, but watch that stall . Deltas stall straight down !!
Jan 03, 2020, 10:20 AM

Comparison EZ Canard vs New Canard.

After a couple of dozen flights on both of the canards the urge is to make a comparison. After flying the EZ canard, I like it best. After flying the NEW canard, I like it best.
The EZ at 7 oz. is more aerobatic, holds inverted with ease, and does the "dead duck" with easy pull out, and has surprising speed with a 2206 1500 kv on 3s with a 7x3.5 prop .
The NEW canard at 8+ oz. with a 2730 1700 kv also on 3s and 7x3.5 prop holds the line of flight very well, it's fast, slows well and loops. The one try at "dead duck" lacked a pull out at the end.
Now thinking about a spare for the day these meet their fate.
Jan 04, 2020, 06:07 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
" The one try at "dead duck" lacked a pull out at the end. “ …
Jan 04, 2020, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by low down and dry
The EZ at 7 oz. is more aerobatic, holds inverted with ease, and does the "dead duck" with easy pull out, and has surprising speed with a 2206 1500 kv on 3s with a 7x3.5 prop .
I'm guessing the EZ is the one with lower wing loading.
If yes, that alone would be the most likely reason.
Jan 04, 2020, 11:28 AM
Took the plans and drew this up in sketchup. I used DTFB and knew I would need a KFM wing as a single sheet would be floppy. Also added a different fuse style to better hide electronics. FT mini power pod in the back with a 2205 2300 kv motor. Balances with a 1300 3s up front assuming LE of the wing where it meets the fuse is the CG.

Thanks gpw!
Jan 05, 2020, 06:23 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Jpot …. COOL !!!
Jan 08, 2020, 09:20 PM
Added color and a canopy. Maiden this weekend weather permitting.
Jan 08, 2020, 09:48 PM
Build more, websurf less
Nice job and good luck and fun with the maiden.

Is the canard a full flying surface or is it fixed?
Jan 09, 2020, 06:40 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Looks fixed , which “ works" but takes away half the Fun … Elevons alone don’t have the same pitch "authority“ a canard does …
Jan 09, 2020, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Elevons alone don’t have the same pitch "authority“ a canard does …
Depends how big you make 'em
Jan 09, 2020, 06:52 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
OK !!! hahahaha !!! Nute , you know , we never did try a 3D Canard … can you imagine ???
Jan 09, 2020, 07:34 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Hmmmm ??? 3 D Canard …

Quick Reply