Dec 21, 2019, 09:01 AM
Build more, websurf less
Today will make a cardboard chuck glider of the New Canard. I'm sure by the end of the day UPS and or Fedex will drop something off in a box from which I will get cardboard.

Thanks for another interesting design and for giving me something to do.

I have a nice patch of tall grass out back that I use for test glides, but right now it is encased in ice...

Here are some questions before I get ahead of myself:

1. Do you think the wing would benefit from a mildly undercambered airfoil as seen in the Foam EZ? (It would add some stiffness.)

2. I like the enclosed fuse. I think it may be challenging to get the two servos and linkages installed inside unless doing it before closing the fuse up. Maybe some strategically-located hatches? What do you think?

Thanks,

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2019, 11:28 AM
Hey, watch this!
This worked on the first and only canard I built. One of the very rare times a model of mine flew perfectly with no trim changes. https://rcplanes.online/cg2_canard.htm
Dec 21, 2019, 05:50 PM
Success with initial flight today. Started out with CG 1 3/4". ahead of wing LE. Have elevons coupled to elevator and it's a good thing it was available. Flew but very nose heavy. Moved CG back to wing LE in steps, much easier how. Rock solid Harrier with full back stick. 3 flights today. Using 2730 1700 kv, 7x3.5 prop. Very pleased with design as is.
Last edited by low down and dry; Dec 21, 2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grammer
Dec 22, 2019, 05:33 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
LD&D, Great News … Elevons eh ??? I hadn’t seen that possibility , but COOL idea !!

Ray, thanks for the calculator !!!

Paul , here’s an idea for servo mounting and hatches . Or you could just mount everything inside and tape the fuselage closed … Todays radio’s are so reliable , we’d not really need access…
As far as airfoils , I don’t think we really need it , but it might be something else to try …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 23, 2019, 10:43 AM
Sokol
This project is tempting me to reuse the wing from my version of goldguy's "lil ripper" , a new triangular fuselage ( love the concept ) , and the canard of course. For quietness sake , tractor ( not a pusher model ).
Dec 23, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by low down and dry
Success with initial flight today. Started out with CG 1 3/4". ahead of wing LE. Have elevons coupled to elevator and it's a good thing it was available. Flew but very nose heavy. Moved CG back to wing LE in steps, much easier how. Rock solid Harrier with full back stick. 3 flights today. Using 2730 1700 kv, 7x3.5 prop. Very pleased with design as is.
Brief and rough flight video.
New Canard video (0 min 30 sec)
Dec 24, 2019, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by low down and dry
Rock solid Harrier with full back stick.
Can you show us some of this in your next video?
Is there much of the typical wing rocking?
Dec 24, 2019, 05:53 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
LD&D, Great Video !!! Thanks !!!

Guys if you’re unfamiliar with canards , please let me explain … On a Canard , the front “wing” ( canard ) is set at positive incidence to the wing , so the canard actually provides lift whereas a regular horizontal stabilizer doesn’t !!! And being at a positive incidence , the canard stalls first , the nose drops as a result , and so the main wing never really gets a chance to stall . The stall on the plane amounts to the plane’s nose bobbling up and down as it stalls, drops and then regains lift , again and again . So basically you can drop the plane almost straight down in a level attitude , nose bobbing , and land right at your feet … We’ve done this many times with canards .. Great Fun , and we don’t have to walk so far to retrieve the plane …

JZ, the triangular is the strongest lightest foam structure we could come up with , Very Twist resistant …and so easy to make …
Dec 24, 2019, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Can you show us some of this in your next video?
Is there much of the typical wing rocking?
Any rock may just be my trembling hands!

Slight wing rock at full up. Rock does settle down, not becoming progressively scary. The ailerons will still control direction when nose very high. It does fly inverted with surprisingly little forward stick.
Dec 26, 2019, 09:12 PM
Sokol

Success with the ANC !

maidened my oversize version of the ANC , with great success,

flew before sunset three batteries , all of them 3S : 2200 mAh, 1300 mAh and 850 mAh.

Very nice flying, stable as can be, fabulous no power landings , glides and just flares in the nicest way.

Wingspan : 35.50"
Wing area : 516 sq in = 3.58 sq ft
Canard area : 96 sq in = 0.66 sq ft

motor Turnigy Propdrive 2826s ; Kv = 1100 RPM/V , 57g , 13A @ WOT
Propeller : Windsor MAS 9.5" x 6" ( Tractor )

AUW ; 845g = 30 oz ( with 3s 2200 mAh battery )
Wing Loading ; 7.07 oz/sqft

using a FrSky radio sytem, mixing :
for elevons: rudder , aileron , and elevator into elevons,
and (-) elevator into canard.

Video to follow tomorrow.
Last edited by JureZ; Dec 27, 2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added CG calculator dwg with actual model dimensions
Dec 27, 2019, 05:43 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
JZ….Oh NICE !!! A BIG One , and a Tractor too … It “should “ hover eh ???
Dec 29, 2019, 06:37 PM
Sokol
well, the second and third session with my version of the canard were not successful.
nothing to report, just to say I miss the plane I had for the maiden, it flew so beautifully !

After nice glide tests on the neighbor's lawn, flying at the field did not produce anything worth the name of flying.
Dec 30, 2019, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
well, the second and third session with my version of the canard were not successful.
nothing to report, just to say I miss the plane I had for the maiden, it flew so beautifully !

After nice glide tests on the neighbor's lawn, flying at the field did not produce anything worth the name of flying.
Well, that's weird!
Did anything about the plane change since the maiden flight?
Were the weather/wind conditions significantly different?
Maybe some misconfiguration of the transmitter - did you check control surface movement before flight?
Dec 30, 2019, 06:27 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
What’s different ??? Let us help get that sorted !!!
Dec 30, 2019, 09:20 AM
Sokol
thanks for the concern about this series of mishaps !
It was so great when I flew it the first day, I thought it was the sweetest plane ever !

It started with a programming error and crash. I changed the model name ,
just for grins, and spontaneously the canard servo reversed without me noticing ( !!!???) .

Reprogrammed and kept crashing , to the point that I had to build a new fuselage.
Before every visit to the field, did a glide test in the living room , and then in the neighbor's front yard lawn.

I was launching the plane and flew straight 25 ft and then it stalled , rolled , hit the ground.
After the crashes , on the field changed the trimming , CG , the usual suspects, same thing happened.

Now , a bit more relaxed , I am doubting the ESC and the receiver, will need to do a range check.

Quick Reply