Dec 13, 2019, 02:38 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Discussion

A New CANARD…

Well, for me anyway !!!
Gentlemen and fellow fliers , due to my habit of taking junk mail and folding little paper airplanes out of them to toss off the second floor balcony ( the Rutan test) . We went through a lot of the same old designs , but this one was very interesting . So interesting we decided to make a Foamie' out of it .
Starting with a nice STRONG folded triangular fuselage , ultra simple construction , and the fact that it really glides Great ( from the balcony ) makes it attractive for a quick weekend Foamie build .
I’m working on the plans right now and will post them when finished. I still have some Blucor and it should be a very Quick build … ;D

Here’s pics of the “paper model” …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 03:22 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Nice!!

I've heard the tall tale of fighters being designed on the backs of envelopes but never out of the envelopes themselves.
Dec 14, 2019, 12:01 AM
XFM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Air Mail ?
Dec 14, 2019, 02:55 AM
1962 hit single recorded by American singer Elvis Presley

Return to sender!
Return to sender!

I gave a letter to the postman
He put it his sack
Bright in early next morning
He brought my letter back

https://genius.com/Elvis-presley-ret...-sender-lyrics
Dec 14, 2019, 05:28 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Just to explain the logic of salvaged paper planes , think of it as saving Foam while the experimenting goes on.. This way I can experiment with hundreds of models without using up my precious Blucor stock …

Now , lets talk about that triangular fuselage. For years now we’ve experimented with foam fuselage shapes , mostly trying to improve the strength and stiffness of the structure . Turns out the triangular fuselage is easy to make and the strongest of all the shapes … AFAIK Not the prettiest of structures , but strong and light , and requiring no internal bracing …
Dec 14, 2019, 10:47 AM
Hey, watch this!
Woo Hoo ! A new design from GPW ! I can't wait. I even have some ModelPlaneFoam staring at me - just waiting for the gentle touch of my scalpel.
Dec 14, 2019, 04:57 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
OK , Guys , here’s what I have so far and am going to build from … You can wait to see how mine turns out or just try one on your own …Any questions let me know .
Dec 15, 2019, 01:38 PM
skumgummi dave
Cool!
Dec 16, 2019, 07:27 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
First decision , do we want to “fold" the triangular foam fuselage , or do we want to to cut three separate pieces and glue them together …? I’s a simple structure .. All how we want to put it together .
If we cut it and angle the cuts right ( @ 45 degrees) it should fit perfectly together …If we fold it , a “window screening tool” or similar would be handy . ( and a little packaging tape )
We’ll make both and see how it works out .
Dec 16, 2019, 05:28 PM
skumgummi dave
Dec 18, 2019, 07:05 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Here’s a drawing about “folding the fuselage “ . It could be suggested running a "blunt tip" or window “screening tool" to score /compress the fold lines for easier folding . For bare foam , I’d suggest running packing tape on the Outside of the fold which prevents the foam from tension splitting , and protects it during flights .
The tape also works for the paper skinned foams too .
Dec 19, 2019, 10:35 PM
Folded fuse. easy and rigid. It's a tight fit inside the 2" sides in fanfold. Battery may have to go on outside?
Dec 20, 2019, 06:29 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
LD&D, That looks real GOOD !!! If you don’t have room a bigger Fuselage ( 3” ) may be better . We always put the battery on the outside bottom so it could slide off in a crash and not take the nose with it … We never had any problems with that ...
Dec 20, 2019, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
LD&D, That looks real GOOD !!! If you don’t have room a bigger Fuselage ( 3” ) may be better . We always put the battery on the outside bottom so it could slide off in a crash and not take the nose with it … We never had any problems with that ...
Will make it work. Just a heads-up to others. Anxious to get it together. Maybe 2 1/2 " would be adequate for 950 mah 3s stick pack.
Last edited by low down and dry; Dec 20, 2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: addendum
Dec 20, 2019, 04:05 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
OK, That's COOL … Since we stared off with a paper plane , there’s plenty room for Improvements !!! Did you test glide it yet … The CG should be ~ the front of the wing … test gliding is the best way we found to establish the CG. Tall grass or into the sofa …

Quick Reply