Feb 06, 2020, 01:57 PM
Build and Fly
Lots of things to try on the next one, whenever I get the chance. Any chance of getting fuse mold files? That's the one I struggle the most with drawing myself.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2020, 02:03 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
I can share those. Let me dig them up.

Tom
Feb 06, 2020, 05:30 PM
We definitely appreciate all that you share and have shared. Thank you.
Latest blog entry: DLG Pegs
Feb 06, 2020, 07:42 PM
Tom,

You mentioned using .024 stainless for pushrods. Where are you sourcing that material? Is it straight lengths, and how long?

I am working on an Allegro-lite, and the only stainless wire I can find is in coil form, or straight lengths that are to short.

Brian
Feb 06, 2020, 10:11 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Look at fishing suppliers, some sizes are sold as stainless leader (toothless leader).

BP
Feb 07, 2020, 06:24 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbldr
Tom,

You mentioned using .024 stainless for pushrods. Where are you sourcing that material? Is it straight lengths, and how long?

I am working on an Allegro-lite, and the only stainless wire I can find is in coil form, or straight lengths that are to short.

Brian
K&S #500 is .025 straight 36". Many Ace strores have K&S displays or order online.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...e/wire/5032404
Feb 07, 2020, 08:20 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
I use this.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/mali...s-steel-leader
Feb 07, 2020, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
This product works great for pushrods. I have used the .018" and .020" sizes with success. It does require a full length housing of etched Teflon tube as a guide though. It uncoils somewhat straight and the slight arc can easily be massaged straight but it is not an issue if used with the guide tubes.

I believe thiswire is tempered as it also works really well for tail springs if using a pull cable control system. One package will last for years so it is very economical.
Feb 08, 2020, 01:24 AM
The stock I have is polished stainless, same brand, Malin, as the leader wire referenced, but sourced from Mcmaster...

The pics of the fishing leader look like a bigger loop. Maybe less coil memory... but probably just make do with what I have

Still following along on the DLG stuff
Feb 11, 2020, 09:23 PM
Build and Fly
I completed my second pull tonight. This one released without much trouble, and looks much better! It still has a bit of a delam problem on the top and bottom of one side. I haven't decided yet if I think it's totally down to uneven clamping, or if the core was thinner there for some reason. (I know, I know, MOAR clamps!)

Besides that, it's the best looking tail I've ever made!

It picked up a couple of grams from my using heavier glass and probably more epoxy to match.

I'm thinking I should leave this for now and switch to wings and fuses if there's going to be any chance of having this plane ready for San Felasco. There's always balsa for tails if I run out of time!

Quick Reply